What's new

Are the US [and Canada] the only countries that understand free refills? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Eeek! I also, if I don't get wine, only drink water when I eat out. I guess I should be glad so many people drink soft drinks considering I live in the city where Coca-Cola has its headquarters.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Remind me not to take Francois to Shorty's if he visits me here in Boise. :laugh:

I really have a problem with aspartame, and it's not just that it sounds like asparagus. Now whenever I drink diet soda I get a spliting headache. I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction or what. I miss the days of cyclamates which didn't have any side effects.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
You were probably in a heavy tourist area where they gouge you on everything. Its similar in places like that in the US. There are no free refills in Disneyland or the airport.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Inviting me to a bar is like inviting a vegetarian to a steak house.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
My question is why are people going to crappy US chain restaurants in foreign countries? Go eat some good local food!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Whenever I was in SE Spain or in Sicily I was never offered soda with a meal. It was always what kind of red wine that I wanted served.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Same reason here. I can not see paying $10.00+ for drinks at one meal. Now if I could only convince everyone else in the family. :frowning: I actually really enjoy a good glass of ice water. :emoji_thumbsup:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Have you tried Diet Rite? I wanted to cut aspartame out of my diet a few years back and became a big fan of it. I do drink diet drinks with aspartame now, but I still really like Diet Rite-- bought a couple two liters today.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aspartame is disgusting in soda drinks and Sucralose is only a little better. At least I don't get a splitting headache with Sucralose contaminated drinks. I can't say the same for Aspartame.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry no. Outside of rich countries, you're far likelier to get these perks in tourist areas than where a bottle of soda could be mini-luxury for average joe.

The answer to the question in the title is an emphatic YES, with the disclaimer that I've not been everywhere, far from it. But this country is unique in many ways, and there are things about it one can assert without extensive proof: I believe the free refills thing is a purely (and typical) American excess. Elsewhere, the idea that you are entitled to free refills on a drink you've purchased is as absurd as claiming the same about the food.

Of course, I love free refills. Dirt cheap soda (heck the thing is probably cheaper than bottle water) and healthy competition between restaurants makes this possible. But I would never expect them beyond these borders and certainly would never, ever feel entitled to them.

Now, IIRC, the OP has traveled extensively and should know all of this.

--
H

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I miss the days of Coke made with cane sugar. I've heard it can still be found in the Hispanic food section of some markets but I have not seen it here.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I admit it. I am addicted to regular soda. I tried diets and hated them. Everytime, I have tried to quit. It never works out. So as with everything I eat now. I do it in moderation. Instead of a 24oz bottle at lunch. I get these little 8oz 1/2 cans. Its only 100cal opposed to almost 300cal. This way I curve my craving for it. Without the massive calories of a big bottle.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The Mexican food markets here carry the imported Cokes made with real sugar. I don't normally drink anything but diet, but when we visit the markets I'll always grab a Coke.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I believe so. That is why when Coke releases it during the Jewish holidays. Lots of people who like the cane version buy large amounts of it.

On a side note. When I went to London last year. I noticed all of the regular soda's had a slightly different after-taste. Is this because of the sweetener they use there compared to the US?

Jason L.

Second Unit

Who said anything about feeling entitled? If fountain drinks are that cheap, then offering free refills is an easy way to differentiate yourself from your competition. Certain customers won't really care, but some definitely will. I don't know why they haven't caught on to that yet.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In what country? You said "1 cent" so I assume it's here, but perhaps you did some currency conversion.

--
H

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Because most of them are. I'll eat at one if no other option is available. Otherwise, I would rather eat at a local, mom and pop type place. Call it elitist or what you will. I personally don't think having a discriminating palate is elitist.

One of the best things about traveling is experiencing a culture different from your own. That especially includes the local cuisine.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I consider the food at most North American chain restaurants (especially the "family" themed restaurants) "trough food." And their patrons are the big fat piggies, all served the lowest quality, highest fat, highest salt food imaginable!

That's why I hate going on business trips in suburbs and small towns. Those are the only restaurants you can find in the area! Oink oink!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks