What's new

Are the Onecall.com specials really as good as they claim? (1 Viewer)

Emile

Agent
I have been looking at home theatre setups and recently decided to buy an Aperion audio setup until I stumbled over a few specials at onecall.com It seems like the deals they offer are way below retail price, and I was wondering if anyone had bought any of these specials? One that I was particularly interested in couples the Harman Kardon AVR 525 with JBL speakers:

Fronts:JBL S310II (Ea)s Black Colored 3 Way Speaker (760pr)
Center:JBL S Center Mark II (Ea) S Series 3 Way Center Channel Speaker ($300ea)
Surrounds:JBL S26 Black Mark II (Pr) S Series 6 inch 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker (400pr)
Subwoofer:JBL PB12 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer (480pr)

The lowest price I could find for the AVR 525 was 700 on the web, and the speakers come out to $1940. Even assuming you could find the speakers for,say, two hundred less, the system would still 600 more than it should. Does anyone know if there is anything wrong with the speakers offered onthese types of deals? They just way too low to be true. Thanks for any comments.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Onecall has a reputation of being one the most reliable and consumer friendly internet dealers around. My personal experince with them has been very satisfying.

If it's on their site then believe it! They are a pleasure to deal with.

Just b/c I feel like typing right now, and it may help to convince you I'll share my experience. I ordered a $200 DVD player from them, missed the delivery and waited for it to arrive in the following couple days. After that couple had passed and no package arrived I called Fedex and found out that someone had gone and signed for my package with my name! Fedex had no way to prove that it wasn't me. They claimed that the person even showed ID. I got nowhere with Fedex so I called up Onecall. They immediately shipped out another unit to me and took it upon themselves to solve the shipping situation (internal scam!). That's putting the customer first. Good luck.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
BTW - At a favorite internet dealer of mine ( www.lgdsuperstore.com ) that speaker package can be had for less than $700. You must be quoting MSRP which you shouldn't even consider paying for JBL speakers.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
If you call up OneCall, make sure you talk with Jeremy, and tell him that you're a member of Home Theater Forum. He'll be sure to take care of you. :)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I always talk to Stephanie. She gave me a sweet deal on my 57" Toshiba HDTV. When I received it, it was all ****ed up (physically damaged), but they sent me a new one and I didn't have to pay for any additional shipping either.

I just ordered my HK AVR-525 from them a couple days ago. It's going to be delivered tomorrow (FedEx).

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well,

I just recently received my Onkyo 989 ver2 from OneCall after an HTF memeber posted that OneCall had them on sale. They typically sell it for $2999 but had a special for $1749 + shipping. To make a long story short, it was the real deal from an authorized internet dealer. I have been a previous customer and have nothing but good experiences with OneCall!

Arnold

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
OneCall is good to deal with but you have to be willing to haggle on the price a little. Don't pay the price on their site and when they offer you a "discount" try to get them to go lower still - you'll be surprised at how low they can go!

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
I've only had good experiences with onecall and their bricks and mortar store, Huppins. In the past year I have spent more than $5000 there on HDTV, receiver, DVD, speakers, etc.

My wife has spent about $3000 on cameras, lights, etc.

Always great service and great deals. I bought their last Toshiba 36HFX71, only to find it had a power supply problem when I got it home. They were very helpful, promised to make it right if Toshiba didn't, (Toshiba replaced it with a 36HFX72). I also had a problem with an NHT amplifier, they are correcting it as we speak.

As Stereophile says, "Highly Recommended"!

Bill

Emile

Agent
Thanks for the comments, I think I will call them up about a Harman Kardon AVR 525+ Athena Audition series 7.1 special. Thanks.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Emile, you should be able to land a substantial discount by buying a receiver and a speaker package. Go low in price and let them bring you up :). Good luck!

KurtisJ

Agent
I also had good luck with OneCall. Since I am in state I had to ship my HK AVR520 to my parents in Oregon. But it was fast and the price was right. I would not hesitate from purchasing from them again.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have fond memories of my first Dolby Digital setup (Onkyo ED-901 and TV-SV828THX combo) that I got from One Call at a significant discount. They offer especially great deals on older closeout models and occasionally refurbished gear. Their service is good and so are their prices.

Ari*S

Auditioning
My experience with OneCall has been very good too. Great price, courteous sales guys, and good shipping. I got a great deal on the AVR525 from them. I'd recommend them anyday and am planning on buying a few other items for my HT from them.

For those of you you who bought RPTVs etc., how was the experience? Considering some of the hassles of returning or repairing(thinking of Sony) an RPTV, wouldn't a B&M store be a a little safer? Any thoughts?

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you you who bought RPTVs etc., how was the experience? Considering some of the hassles of returning or repairing(thinking of Sony) an RPTV, wouldn't a B&M store be a a little safer? Any thoughts?
It was very convenient. There weren’t any hassles. When I had to send mine back to them, I just put it back in the box and FedEx Freight came and picked it up while giving me the new one. The only hassle was getting it into my house and all the way down to the basement, but even that wasn't that big of a deal. I had a friend help me and we got it down there pretty easily without even one scratch. It's not that heavy (250 pounds?), it's just big and awkward.

If there is something wrong with my TV, Toshiba certified technicians will come to my house and fix it. If they can't fix it easily, they will take it out of my home for me and fix it. I think it would be more of a hassle if you had to return something that big to a B&M store yourself. OneCall gives you curbside delivery through FedEx Freight (a.k.a. Viking Freight).

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
I've used them on several occasions for RPTV, DVD player etc and the service was great. Best advise is to check around then deal with onecall. bestpriceaudiovideo.com has great prices on JBL line and some recievers like ONKYO. chekc them out too. Good luck.

Bob Drugan

Agent
Emile,
I have the Aperion Audio 6.1 speaker system with the 12" 250 watt sub and couldn't be happier. The great thing about these speakers is they sound so natural and the bass is awesome. The speakers are very easy to listen to and for the $ I couldn't find anything that compared. Aperion has a 30 day return policy but after hearing these in my home they not going back. The people at Aperion were great to deal with too - I did tons of research and they answered all my questions and couldn't have been nicer. Oh yeah they even send you an owners kit plus my wife really liked the bags the speakers are wrapped in - very classy. Check them out at www.aperionaudio.com. Bob

Right now there is a sale and you'll save $200 and free shipping

try these with an Outlaw 1050 - what a perfect match

Good luck with your decision

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I've been ordering from ONECALL since the mid 90s. Always had excellent service,great prices and outstanding customer support when the inevitable minor problems arise.

Tom V.
SVS

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered my HK-520 a few weeks ago. It arrived very quickly. They did one follow up call to make sure I was satisfied and I was. Top notch service. I think you would be happy with them. Were those speaker prices in Canadian? I just ordered 2 pairs of JBL S26II and a S26II Center channel from Etronics.com for $504 for the entire setup including shipping. It listed them as the S26's but they sent the new version. I ordered cherry and they look great. They also provided great service.

Greg:D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll echo all the other favorable comments regarding OneCall. I have purchased many items from them, and they are the only etailer to ever place a follow-up call with me after delivery just to make sure that the equipment arrived okay and that I was satisfied with my purchase (a Sony 555ES SACD/CD player, in this particular case).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I'll echo what others have said here and that is that One Call is a great company to work with. And even though they might not have the lowest prices (which often they do) you have to consider that they are authorized dealers too for the items they sell. This makes a big difference when it comes to having to return the item for any type of repairs to the vendor. Many of the lowest prices are from vendors that are not authorized dealers and they sell you grey market or after market items. Many times the manufacturer of the product will not honor the warranty that comes from these vendors.

I have personally purchased items from One Call since the early 90's and have never had a problem with them regarding the product they sold me or customer service after the sale.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks