What's new

Are the Anchor Bay Hammer double features coming out on Tuesday? (1 Viewer)

Amazon has them listed as being available this Tuesday (the 25th), but DVDPlanet has them on the 9th of December. I have a number of them ordered via Amazon, and they have not - as of yet - been charged to my account or shipped.

I wouldn't normally be quite so neurotic as to seek out the advice of strangers on the internet, but I heard tell that Anchor Bay was only producing 3000 copies of each set. Can this be right? What does every Borders get one copy of each, and that's that?

I'm JUST getting into this Hammer stuff. Fantastic so far.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
btw... the Anchor Bay website does not mention the "3000 copies" rumor. They just say they'll be available for a limited time.

Finding these sets at DeepDiscountDVD was quite a chore... Quatermass was spelled "Quartermass" and many only listed one of the films in the description.

Anyone know what the packaging will look like?
I'd also like to know whether or not they will contain the original poster art like the individual releases. Anchor Bay really sucks at promoting upcoming releases these days.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I too was wondering this very thing.

I have all ten on order through www.dvdempire.com and, while they list an 11/25/2003 release date, I have not received a shipping notice to date. In fact, I just noticed that the status of each of these discs has been change to 'Out-Of-Stock' and it now denotes the product is on order with the manufacturer.

I had not heard that the discs were limited, and I certainly hope that is not the case because, even while these are supposedly being redone by Blue Underground, the price is too good to pass up for another fledgling Hammer horror fan. :)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It's also an easy way for those of us with defective copies of The Witches and Frankenstein Created Woman to get repressed discs.

That cover art at DvdEmpire is indeed tiny :) Looks like the two original covers side-by-side with some wording above and below. I wonder if they'll be double amarays or some cardboard monstrosity.

Well, the mystery deepens: Deep Discount DVD has charged my account for the 10 Anchor Bay double feature titles... So does this mean that they have the titles in hand? I've never used them before for purchasing DVDs, but I assume that they (like Amazon) don't actually charge one's credit card until the actual titles are in stock and ready for shipment.

Am I being too naive?

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
They don't charge me until the item is shipped, unless it's a new policy.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Jack
Regarding your defective disks. You can contact Anchor Bay by e-mail on their website and they will send you repressed copies for the defects. I did this and so did many others. They acknowledged the faulty 1st pressing on these titles.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I just received ten separate e-mails from DVD Empire indicating that the release date for the double features has been changed to 12/09/2003.

This would explain their not shipping yet.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The release dates from the internet retailers are still all over the map.

I wonder if the news of Anchor Bay's purchase by an unknown buyer will affect these releases.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Also, Anchor Bay's website finally have full-sized pictures of the covers. Look under "Recent Releases".
Are you referring to their "New Releases" section? If so, I do not see them there, or in their "Coming Attractions" sections either, for that matter.

Confusion rampant and increasing. :frowning:

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Holy crap, you're right!
I swear they were all there a few days ago. I looked at every one. They seem to have been pulled.

Oh man. What the hell?!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I swear they were all there a few days ago.
I don't doubt that at all. I remember seeing them there as well, but never with the "full-sized" pictures you mentioned. Of course, our definition of "full-sized" could be different, but the ones I saw were *tiny*.

Anyway, something is definitely screwy with these releases.

Yeah, man, this is bringin' me down! Some sites say they're due to be released on 12/9, others say 12/15, still others say 1/14! And Amazon is acting like the titles have come and gone and are already out of print! I'm just scouting around, trying to figure out whether these DVDs have physically been produced. So far, nobody on EBay is offering these titles. Damn! And yes, I also noticed that the thumbnails that were present on the Anchor Bay site have been yanked. What gives? Who's the go-to person for this kind of situation? Wouldn't Anchor Bay - even in it's current state - have to alert retailers that these discs ain't comin?

And, come to think of it, its not like Anchor Bay has shut down or anything... They just announced those "Dawn Of The Dead" and "Osterman Weekend" discs...

I want my Hammer double features! It's Christmas! They can't do this to me!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
My DeepDiscountDVD order has gone bonkers. They seem to have pulled all but two of these from their store... thus leaving my order with a bunch of line items with no descriptions. Guh.

I swear a few days ago the AB site had the larger cover pics posted.

The whole thing smells bad, but this isn't the first time Anchor Bay has dropped the ball with upcoming releases.

Yeah, I've got the same problem at Deep Discount. My order now only lists three titles, the other seven are blank. And when I try to search for those missing titles in their database, there's nothing listed.

I did talk to a Deep Discount person this morning, and she told me that none of the titles were canceled and that ALL fo the titles were currently on "backorder"...

Sounds to me like Anchor Bay announced these titles without really figuring out logistically how to produce them for the X-mas season... I suppose I'll leave my order in place at DDD... But I've got a bad feeling about this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks