What's new

AR HC2 vs JBL NSP1/PB12? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello,

I am desperatly trying to piece together a budget home theater system. I got everything in a timely matter except the speakers. On December 27th I ordered an Acoustic Research HC2 speaker system from an online retailer. This online retailer advertised these speakers as being in stock and ready to ship. They even charged my credit card. I thought the speakers would be on the way but it is stuck in packaging. I thought for sure they would be shipped on January 2nd because of the Holiday. Well they never shipped so I sent an e-mail to customer service. All week the HC 2 speaker system was in stock but not more then 10 minutes after sending the e-mail the status of the speakers changed. The changed from "in stock and ships in 1 to 2 days" to "this item is currently not available". They also promply credited back my card at the same time. Of coarse I never got an e-mail from them about what happened. They just covered up there tracks. I must say I am not very happy right now.

This online site has a the JBL NSP1 speaker package with a JBL PB12 subwoofer for $509.99. This is $60 more then the AR HC2 speaker package but is currently available. For my troubles I am going to try and get this retailer to take $60 off the JBL speaker package and even throw in overnight shipping for the BS I had to put up with. I might get one or the other but will try for both.

I spent alot of time researching these speakers. The AR HC2 is a very highly rated speaker package. I am wondering how the JBL system mentioned above would stack up against the AR HC2 package?

Because I work nights alot of the time I need satelite speakers that sound pretty good on there own with the subwoofer turned off. Since I have heard the HC2 without the subwoofer turned on I thought they sounded great. Everything comes thru loud and clear except the deep bass of coarse. Some other Satelite systems sound really tiny without the subwoofer on. How is the JBL NSP1 on its own without the sub?

thanks so much

Chris

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
How is the JBL NSP1 on its own without the sub?
Like all or most speakers of this size, Anemic! You need a sub for HT impact.
But I can vouch for the NSP-1, they sound very good for the price and as good or better than some speaker packages costing twice as much.
In fact I run N-26 mains, N-24 surrounds, N-Center, and PB-12, the same thing your looking at, only bigger mains. And I couldn't be happier.
BTW that is a good price for the NSP-1 + PB-12 package. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Yeah, I am not looking for loads of bass with the subwoofer turned off. Just good sound is all. I have listened to a cheaper JBL speaker system the SCS135. It did not sound bad with the subwoofer turned on but when you turned it off the satelite speakers sounded like walkman headphones when you take them off your ears. Very tiny sounding. Since the NSP1 is sold on its own I figured it might do pretty good without the subwoofer. Of coarse the sub would be a nice bonus. I believe my local Best Buy sells the NSP1. I might stop by today and listen and see what I want to do. After looking on the internet the AR HC2 or JBL NSP1/PB12 are really my only choices in this price bracket.

As for this online retailer they never bothered to respond to my e-mail. I am thinking about calling the other big guy in town to see if they have the AR HC2 in stock and what the price is on the NSP1/PB12 combo. Then I will call the first company and cancel my order.

Chris

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
JBL -

If you are serious about running without the sub,

I would reccomend a pair of JBL N38s paired with the

less expensive PB10. Then I would run the N38s 'large'

and only use the sub for movie LFE.

How big is the room?

JRS

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello,

My room is 13' by 14' with a large bookcase built into the back wall.

I listened to the NSP1 with a PB12 subwoofer. I actually thought they sounded pretty good but the HC2 satelite speakers sounded slightly better when running without the subwoofer. The HSP1's have 4" woofers vs HC2 with 5 1/4" woofers. Since Best Buy does not have Acoustic Research products the comparison was totally in my head though. I actually thought the NSP1 speakers had a hard to time dancing but it was probably the large open ended Best Buy store. I gotta tell you the PB12 250w subwoofer really sounded good. Even when cranked it sounded clean.

Because I work nights and will not run the sub most of the time I still slightly prefer the AR HC2 speaker system. But will go for the JBL NSP/PB12 if this retailer will match the price on the HC2 system. The non matching center speaker is a real turn off. I have access to a real time analyser and even the best matched center speakers don't match its left and right counterparts. Some not even close. Of coarse it is debatable if you can hear the actual difference.

Someone mentioned finding a combo for $595. I found the combo for $509.99 at Etronics. It is Etronics I want to match the price of the AR HC2 of $449

Chris

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
I received a sales flyer yesterday in the mail from J&R, and I believe the AR HC2 was selling at less than $400.00. Something like $349.99; don't have the flyer at work with me. Check this out. Give them a call.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. I might call J&R and see what the price is and if they have them in stock. If they do I will put them on hold and call Etronics and cancel the order. Speaking of Etronics I send e-mails and I get no reply and I call and it is busy busy busy everytime. I researched Etronics before my purchase and they were highly rated. Not so in my case. I am starting to get a little nervous about this transaction.

Chris

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
No go!!!

J&R is out of stock on the HC2 speaker system. They told me the current price was $429. I asked when they expected some in and they said 2 or 3 weeks if not longer. AR can be a little slow. I was told they have alot of pre-orders but I can order mine now and get them when they come in. Not the news I want to here. Probably the same story at Etronics so I will probably have to wait or go for the JBL system.

Chris

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I guess J&R floated the price back up to $429 once they noticed the demand for the HC2 was quite high. One thing I noticed was that J&R is an authorized dealer for AR, while I don't see Etronics listed as an authorized dealer.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I did not check them out. Its a little more then I want to pay for the HC2 system and it says nothing about availability. Its worth a look if I can ever get thru to Etronics. I am probably not the only one in these shoes and customer service is really overloaded with pissed off people.

Chris

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Cris,

Why buy bookshelf speakers that only sound

good with an oversized sub you can't use?

I still say, get two good columns capable of reproducing

audible bass first.

JRS

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Cris,

_Reply to post #7 'center channel' matching.

If your receiver has a 'center' channel equalizer, I

would not worry too much. However, if it does not, this

can drive you crazy.

JRS

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello Jim,

Your recomendation is the logical choice but for space reasons I need to go with a subwoofer satelite system. My room is shaped kind of funny between a hallway and the fireplace I only have about 6 feet to spare. My 53" big screen takes up most of the space. Right now I am running some old Polk S6's for my LCR and they stick into the hallway about 6 inches. The subwoofer will be placed behind the Left speaker stand and to the right behind the TV. I can use the subwoofer most of the time except very late at night. I would have to turn it off or down very low.

Chris

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hey again Jim,

>> If your receiver has a 'center' channel equalizer, I

would not worry too much. However, if it does not, this

can drive you crazy.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
If I decide to go with the NSP1/PB12 and it really bothers me I can buy the left and right speakers seperatly and use one of them as a center.
Yes you could get the NSP-1 + PB-12, and then upgrade later to the N-38's for the mains(use the leftover N-24's for "B" speaker output for stereo mode.
The N-38's will still be voice and timber matched to the N-Center(all the Northridge are timber matched:emoji_thumbsup: )
This would be a great option IMO, The PB-12 will compliment the N-38's nicely.
Also you may surprised at how well the NSP-1 + PB-12 sounds and be content!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks