What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (second try) (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you guys, but I would take the extra weight over smoking =)...but I am talking 20-30 lbs tops
I've gained 22 pounds since I quit. Hate it. If it does not level off or decrease soon I may start again. It's the only thing I can think of that will get me to start again.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My dad started eating like a vegetarian to drop the weight, but he did pack some on when he started eating meats again, just not as much as he initially did after he quite smoking.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Good morning fellow quitters.
Just checking in. I'm now at 42 hours smoke free. Still feelin' fine and still waiting for the profound withdrawal symptoms promised by Rich. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I hope you know I feel no sense of schadenfreude about this - I don't know why this suddenly feels confrontational. My entire agenda: I don't want you to suffer and I don't want you to smoke! :)
And I don't work for a pharmaceutical. I do work for Harvard Medical School, but I'm certainly no expert on addiction recovery. Just someone who made it through after what seemed like a lifetime of heavy smoking, and who once never even imagined himself a non-smoker. I don't care how you quit; I just care that you do quit.
(But maybe pissing you off is the right way to go? Challenging you a little bit? I can push those buttons - I think I know exactly where they are. So, consider yourself challenged. And if you want some fightin' words, I can supply 'em, but you'll have to remember that I love you once you've kicked it!)
Quickly about the weight gain thing... withdrawing from nicotine addiction will change your body's metabolism (ever notice how your heart rate goes up after taking a drag?). Usually, your metabolism will slow a bit after withdrawal, but this will only account for a 5, possibly 10-lb increase depending upon your size. The other, greater factor is that nicotine is an appetite suppressant. And a third factor is the whole "oral fixation" element of the psychological addiction. In other words, to not gain weight, you need lo-cal/lo-carb snack food like celery, carrots and the like, and -most importantly- you'll need to eat fewer overall calories due to the decrease in your body's metabolism rate. And, again, vigorous exercise will help keep your metabolism rate up and your desire for smoking down.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Rich,
I'm not pissed off at you, just ribbing you a little. :)
Your logic was flawed, that's all. You assumed that because quitting was a certain way for you, it would be so for others. You also did not consider that what you described as profound physical withdrawal may have been only slight physical sensations made worse by the fact that you thought and expected it to be worse.
Perception is really everything. Giving up smoking is going to be as easy or as difficult as you believe it will be.
I opted to go cold turkey for two basic reasons: 1. Pride and stubborness and 2. I wanted it over as quickly as possible.
44.5 hours

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Just remember people are offering encouragement by sharing what worked for them, is all.

Me? Too late, probably. Both parents died from The Big C. I've probably passed the point of no return. Being fatalistic, for sure--but probably realistic as well. Lung cancer begins, in its precancerous form, upwards of ten years before it can be detected via X-ray.

I've seen what cancer can do to people, up close and personal. In my parents' case, it was the smell of cancer that struck me most. The body is literally eating itself away.

George Harrison, one of the most important people in my life, died at the obscenely young age of 58. A lifelong smoker, him. As am I.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Jack,
I don't like to hear you talk like that, bud.
You've convinced yourself that you could never give it up and you are rationalizing your continuing to smoke by assuming that it's too late to benefit from quitting. This is the psychological addiction at work, my friend.
I'm not going to nag you, Jack, but do yourself a favour. Pick up a book called The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allan Carr (I think that's it; I'll correct it later if I'm wrong). You need to try to change the way you think about the whole thing.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wonder.. I bet I could make money getting people to quit. People could pay me for my services, and I could stalk them and kick their ass (much like the ass kicking for sale on eay some time ago) if they try to light up :D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder.. I bet I could make money getting people to quit. People could pay me for my services, and I could stalk them and kick their ass (much like the ass kicking for sale on eay some time ago) if they try to light up
LOL, that reminds me of the skit on SNL with The Rock not too long ago. He basically did exactly what you described. The first time I saw it I was still a smoker and it actually sounded like a viable option :D
Keep going guys, life is soooo much better not smoking. Its the freedom of not being addicted that is so great. Movies, airplanes, relatives, restaurants... The benefits just blow me away.
As far as cold turkey, I think and know it is very possible. How did people quit in the 70's and 80's? In fact I bet more people still quit cold turkey than any other way. My dad had some heart problems last October and he quit cold turkey. Unfortunately my Mom, Brother-in-law, and myself needed the help of Zyban, but I'd rather admit I needed help than to still be smoking. Thats how I justify my weakness :D
The Three Day Mark Is Near Guys!!! Thats the major obstacle, after that its all downhill. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Just thought I'd pop by to report that I have now passed the 48 hour mark.
Seriously, guys, I have like zero urge to smoke. It's fantastic! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Rain:
Just wanted to pop by and say and CONGRATS! ;)
I've never smoked and although I can't really imagine how difficult quiting must be, I certainly commend your efforts.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sounds like we are going to have a few success stories here. :emoji_thumbsup:
Sweet!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Jack,
If you need more scaring, consider this. Smoking is much more causally linked to Alzheimer's disease than it is to lung cancer. IIRC a smoker is two to four times more likely to develop Alzheimer's or other related forms of dementia - it causes vascular problems in the brain. Cancer only takes away what you are - dementia takes away WHO you are.
Link Removed
"But smokers who did not carry the gene were found to be four times more likely to develop the disease than nonsmokers, the study said."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Also, second hand smoke doesn't do our feline audience members any good at all.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hey Rain and Marshall (and anyone else who is sticking strong!)

You guys have my upmost respect! Keep it up guys!!!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, Robert. It's my one concession to irrational thought and behavior. And it's a bitch to keep the home theater in pristine condition (it is, but I have to work at it daily--and the monitor is covered when not in use). And the second-hand smoke is not good for Attila.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks