What's new

Anyone see the picture of Luke Walton on the cover of *ESPN The Magazine*? Funny! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just got a chance to look through the November 25th issue of ESPN The Magazine, which has Luke Walton of the University of Arizona basketball team on the cover. In the cover picture, he is spinning a basketball on his middle finger, which makes it look like he is flipping off the camera man and the reader. :laugh: I love it! Maybe he should have used his index finger. :D
[c] [/c]

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I noticed that too. What really amazes me though is how much he looks like his father. Kinda like me and my dad!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I agree. Luke Walton does look like his dad. Hopefully Luke's knees comes from his mother's side of the family, though. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom, in the end, you may be right. However, I thought Bill Walton had bad knees throughout his career too.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
For myself, at least, it's easier to spin a basketball on my middle finger than my index. I don't know why this is, it just is. I've wondered about it too but it's no big deal.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Dome, that was a good example of the reason why I rarely attend sporting events. I strongly dislike heckling. It ruined a recent evening for me at a hockey game with my girlfriend. I don't really need to hear what two drunken idiots think of the opposing goalie every two minutes at high volume.

On the other hand, funny pic!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
KeithH.... oh for sure, it's hella-funny! Would have been even better if it was more head on than it is..... :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Haha, I never even noticed that. He got the other fingers just right too. :)
On a side note, I might actually get to go to a game or two this season. Cross your fingers for me. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
MickeS, have fun if you go to any games. Arizona should be fun to watch.
I wrote a letter to the editor of ESPN The Magazine in regards to the cover picture of Walton. It said, "No, Luke. You are number one." I wonder if anyone there will get it. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul said:

is the magazine any good?
It depends on what you are looking for in a sports magazine. This is my second go-around with ESPN The Magazine. I subscribed a few years ago and let it run out, as I found that I didn't have the time to read it consistently back then. The current subscription was a gift from my parents, and I've been reading it more consistently than before. I would say it is O.K. There is a lot of humor in the magazine -- much more than I have ever seen in Sports Illustrated or The Sporting News. A lot of the humor and language from SportsCenter carries over to the magazine. That's great, however, I don't really consider ESPN The Magazine to be a hardcore sports magazine, which is ironic since it is coming from ESPN. You won't find much in the way of stats or game recaps. It's more about the players and teams, and there is an emphasis on behind-the-scenes things with the athletes. That's O.K., but it's not really what I care about. I don't really care that this player and that player play pool the day after a game.

There is a bit of a hip-hop feel to the magazine, and it is clear to me that ESPN is targeting a younger audience. I can't put absolute numbers on it, but younger (for the record, I'm 32). You will see a lot of youthful ads, like those from Tommy Hilfinger and other fashion designers. Anyway, as I said, I don't view ESPN The Magazine as a hardcore sports magazine. I prefer The Sporting News. Sports Illustrated is O.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks