What's new

Anyone recommend $1,900 16:9 RPTV to go with this ...? (1 Viewer)

Iain

Agent
I received useful advice on buying a first HT in the HT help and basics forums. Someone suggested seeking specific model recommendations in the HT hardware forums to help narrow down a short-list before testing out these puppies for myself. My HT room is about 21' by 13', but the TV has to go on one of the shorter walls, with the seating area maybe 8-9' back. My priority is for watching movies, with listening to music also quite important, and broadcast TV of lesser importance. Overall, my budget is $4,000, which I was thinking to split as follows (with desired features and potential models):
TV: $1,900 (rear-projection, HDTV-ready, 16:9, 40-45") - Mitsubishi WT-42311, Hitachi 43FWX20B, Toshiba 42HDX82 (or 42H82?)
Speakers: $1,400 (bookshelf mains and surrounds, center, powered subwoofer) - Aperion, Axiom, B&W, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Paradigm, Pinnacle, PSB (with SVS or HSU for the sub)
Receiver: $400 (Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, component video in) - Denon AVR-1603, Harman Kardon AVR 125, Onkyo TX-SR500, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Yamaha RX-V530
DVD player: $300 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Denon DVD-1600, Kenwood DV-6050, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Toshiba SD-5700
Any thoughts on the proposed TVs (bearing in mind the listed potential spkrs, rcvr, and dvd it could go with)?
Thanks folks!
Cheers, Iain

Steve_M

Auditioning
I saw the new Mits WT-42311 today...Looked really nice. I have a similar space issue and am going to pick one up...I think its the best in that size range.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have a Toshiba 42H81 and love it. The new models are supposed to be even better.

Do some measuring! With your viewing space, the depth of the RPTV will be important. Toshiba is one of the shallowest sets out there at 18".

Also, check out stretch modes. Tosh excels there, too. It's also at the top in the area of being able to get a good picture from a mediocre signal.

Cheers,

Jan

Iain

Agent
Thanks for the advice. I'm tending towards the Mitsubishi right now, but am by no means committed. One concern I had with the Toshiba is upgradeability - I've been lead to believe Mitsbishi and Hitachi offer some kind of future compatibility guarantee (which Toshiba doesn't). Anyone know more about this?

Cheers, Iain

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i ordered the tosh 42h82 myself, got it for $1700 at best buy.
as for the speakers, listen to lots of different kinds. i like the infinity systems myself.
for the receiver, you can get a refurbished HK AVR320 for $400 at Harman Audio.
on the dvd player, i do believe the toshiba ones have the chroma bug. i hear a lot of good things about the panasonic.

Iain

Agent
The HK AVR320 for $400 seems almost too good to be true. I'm a little wary of the "refurbished" part though - should I be concerned?

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
well that comes directly from harman kardon themselves, PLUS they give you the original warranty, so its just like buying a new one. according to their website, the product is not used or has not been broken. they say at worst there might be small physical imperfections. but from what i have heard, no one has gotten one in bad shape. mostly repackaged because of torn boxes, dealer overstock, etc..

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just found a Toshiba 50HDX82 for $1999.00 - shop around.

I get it delivered in 11 days.. I am so excited.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I have had horrible luck with HK refurbished cd players. Although there players are known for breaking even brand new. there receivers are a whole other story. You'll probably be fine, but i thought you would like to know

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I think you are cheating yourself with your size range. I don't see why, physically, you couldn't do a 55"WS in your room. I have a Mitsubishi 55311 in a similar sized room and you get used to it after a week or two. I'd at least recommend looking at their 48"WS Set or the 50" from Toshiba. Both great sets are close in price and will yield a great picture. I prefer my Mitsubishi, but it was close. Good luck, and , by all means, shop around!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks