What's new

Anyone have the PSB Image 7PT (1 Viewer)

Leon C

Auditioning
I have been comparing the PSB Image speakers to Paradigm Monitor speakers. So far I have only been able to hear
the Monitor 9 and the Image 6T and had to go to two different places so I was not doing a side by side. Can
anyone comment on personal experience? While I plan to buy an SV Subwoofer down the road, I thought that since the price difference between the 7PT and 6T is not signficant, so I planned on the 7PT if I go that route. I also still have to listen to the Paradigm Monitor 7 and Monitor 11
before making a choice. I also have been considering Axiom M60ti, but obviously can't go to a store to listen to those.
I may bite the bullet and order them on the 30 day trial, but wanted to get others opinions first.
My room is about 18'x25' with 10' ceilings and opens up partially into other rooms. I probably do about a 50/50 HT to music.

Thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Not significant? If it wasn't significant, I might have gone that route too, but having already owned a subwoofer when I bought my PSB image speakers, I chose the 6T's.

What is the cost difference between the 6T's and 7PT's at the place you are shopping??

If you want rumble and big bass sound for super low end, you'll still need a subwoofer even if you have the 7PT. I just think it's redundant to use a subwoofer with the 7PT because you then have a 130 watt bass amp in the 7PT working on only 200 hz down to whatever you crossover your mains to. In that setup, I'd want to crossover between 40 and 60 hz. 80 to 100hz would be too high and really waste the 7PT in my opinion.

Isn't that sort of redundant? You'd have the receiver working on 200 hz and above, the 7PT powering the 200 hz down to the subwoofer crossover and then the subwoofer with its own amp. I know it sounds great because you'll have lots of power, but aren't you at least kind of wasting that amp in the 7PT's? I think the 7PT's might be best for a music only alternative or an option where you can't use a subwoofer.

Leon C

Auditioning
I can get a pair of 7PTs delivered for $900 (no tax)
or a pair of 6Ts locally for $865. As I said, not
much difference in price.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I was considering the 6t before I went with the Axioms M60Ti. I went with the Axiom because of the price $680 from factory outlet. I'm glad I did cuz they sounds amazing. My room is almost the same size s yours and it fills the whole room on 2 channel stereo. Good luck and have fun.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Leon C,
Thats a weird price difference. I am pretty sure it was more than $200.00 USD difference when I was shopping for my speakers and picked up the 6T's. I never listened to the 7PT's. Have you compared the two? I guess if there isn't much difference in price, and you can use a subwoofer crossover lower than 80-100 hz, then its worth it. I think the 7PT's would be awesome in source direct :)
Bry_DD,
Glad you like your Axiom's. I should check out the Axioms because they seem very efficient. Maybe they would make a good stereo speaker set for my music in another room some day :cool:

Leon C

Auditioning
I haven't found a local dealer that has the 7PTs (so they would be purchased from an internet dealer), so I have only been able to hear the 6T, but I was impressed with them. They were much nicer than the Klipsch I auditioned and from memory, sounded about as good as the Paradigm Monitor 9s I heard.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. Yeah, the 7PT's 25 hz -3 dB limit is quite a jump down from the 32 hz - 3 dB point of the 6T. Although the -10 dB point of the 6T is 27 hz, the -10 dB point of the 7PT is 22 hz. I guess I wonder how the 7PT can be tuned to deliver bass down to 25 hz vs 32 hz when it has the same woofers, in fact, the same drivers and enclosure. I know there is an amp and the two bottom woofers only go up to 200 hz, vs the 500 hz of the 6T, still, if you have lots of power, the 6T's should be able to put it out, but the 7PT goes down to 25 hz. I guess the only answer is amp EQ but then again, ported speakers don't like to be overdriven below their natural limit. I suspect there is something else different in the 7PT vs the 6T.
I imagine you just want the better speakers, and who cares about how they work exactly ;)
Ah, get the better speakers dude :)

Leon C

Auditioning
Could the fact that the 7PTs have additional external power make the difference? Think they would sound at least as good as the 6Ts (since I can't find a place to audition the 7PT)?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The 7PT's will sound as good as the 6T's at low volume, and even at low volume you will be able to hear lower frequency extention. At higher volume you'll notice even more difference because of the built-in amps. At the price difference you're talking about, I guess it doesn't hurt to get the 7PT's as long as they come with the full warranty. Just because the price difference is low and I wonder why.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
The price difference is quite simple, really....Internet dealers cannot offer a warranty. That wasn't a concern for me...I got a pair of Stratus Silver's for $1250 delivered and the local dealer wanted $1900+tax. Crazy price difference at that level.

Leon C

Auditioning
But several of the online shops (Yawa, Upscale Audio, Reliable Audio Video) are listed on PSB's webpage as
being authorized dealers, so they have the lower
pricing AND a full warranty, right?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I never really liked the Paradigm Monitor series. Auditioned the Monitor 7 and Monitor 9 and both sounded pretty harsh and narrow. I haven't heard the Image 7PT but I do have a pair of Image 2B's for my rear soundstage and they're great.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, just multiply the sound quality of the 2B's and add lots of low bass extention. I have never heard the 7PT's but I can only imagine they sound similar but better than my 6T's :)

Chip E

Screenwriter
I bought my Stratus Silveri 's, C6i center, and Image 10S's from a local dealer using internet prices... worked out well for me.
Last night, a buddy of mine bought a pair of Image 7T's from reliableaudiovideo.com for $995.00 +shipping. Can't wait to hear them.. He runs a SVS 16-46PCI and an Integra 6.2. The Integra, i believe has a fixed crossover of 80hz. I wonder how that'll affect the amount of low stuff his new speakers will be capable of while watching dvd's and using the SVS ?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, thats interesting. The 7PT's 2 bottom woofers cover the range from 200 hz on down, so with the SVS they'll go from 200 hz down to 80 hz roughly and crossover to the subwoofer. If I had 7PT's, I want to cross them over at 50-60 hz. Oh well, let us know how they sound. Give a listen to them full range without a subwoofer. I know they are't a match for a subwoofer, but they should have decent low bass non-the-less :)

chip, thax for the post....can't wait to hear my new image 7pt.....the women just called my home to thank me.....super cool people.....The psb will arrive friday, she said.....

mark mann

Auditioning
Hey Franky them psb speakers are gettin really good reviews,when yo gonna have a party? ill bring over my junk box vienna acoustics cuzz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks