What's new

Anyone have a receiver hooked up to PC for HT audio??? (1 Viewer)

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using a computer in my HT for a while now. I have trouble with noise at all. When I used my computer for DVD playback, I did have lots of trouble, but that was mostly a Creative software problem, not the computer's fault.
If you plan on using a computer for DVDs, I recommend a GEForce2 or better video card, and good DVD software. You'll find lots of info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=26
Good luck!
Sam
Oh, P.S.- I use quad-shielded coax from my SBLive! 5.1 because I'm about 30 feet away, but if your computer is closer, feel free to use Fiber. Don't buy into the coax vs. fiber hype, and remember the number 1 rule in HT: If it sounds good to you, it rocks! :D

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
I am but a lowly college student, so I have my computer hooked up to an Onkyo DS575x with Snell QBx speakers and an SVS sub..i watch movies on this system, but i prefer to just think of it as a PC with really good sound. I connect digitally with an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard for mp3s/movies and use the 5.1 outputs of my SBLive! 5.1 for games...pretty awesome setup IMHO- I love it

Todd

muskie

Agent
You'll always get better sound with seperates and this is not what I currently do. But if I were to buy a sound card to do this, and OS X drivers were available as I'm trying to be cutting edge or something I would get the Audiophile 2496
Currently I just run head phone to RCA to spare input on a pro logic receiver. When I get back from my next contract I may upgrade to a card like this but speaker positioning is problematic. I have my speakers set up mainly for two channel listening from my couch, my computer is parrallel with the speakers (now). I'm not sure how would be best to set up the speakers so you could get 5.1 sound plus see the picture from the couch and from wherever you computer is.
Muskie
It appears OS X support is just out new release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks