What's new

Anyone else buying up a DVD collection in order to do away with cable? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I am a huge fan of old TV shows. Recently I have begun buying DVD TV shows like THE FLINTSTONES, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE HONEYMOONERS, I LOVE LUCY, GREEN ACRES, GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, etc, etc...well you get the idea. My ultimate goal is to own all my favorite TV shows, that I know I watch over and over again, and eventually (after buying every season of these shows) I can do away with my cable TV. Am I alone in this thinking? How many others here only have interest in older TV shows, and have started their own DVD collection with the intention of one day no longer needing to rent cable TV?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, I couldnt get rid of cable because they carry exclusive shows I watch on the movie channels, etc.

I dont know if I would like it without cable even though nothings on half the time.

But, I see your point.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Nice name, Mr. Seaver.

I keep cable to watch Marlins games, and for Internet access. Other than that, I could live without cable TV service.

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
not only that if I got rid of cable how would I get to watch CSI (all of them), Law & Order (all of them) ER, Without A Trace and West Wing in stunning Hi Def?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It doesn't affect me either way. My cable station sucks. I only get the basic cable which includes Nick at Nite and Cartoon Network. I don't get TV Land or Sci-Fi or Game Show Network unles I upgrade to premium, which I haven't. However, I will never watch Gilligan, Lucy, Charlie's Angels, etc. on cable now that I have them all uncut and commercial-free on dvd.

Mikya

Grip
That's my thinking precisely. With 450 tv dvds (including my own captures of the complete Seinfeld, Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart!) and 350 films on dvd amounting to nearly 100 full days of total programming, I'm free at last, free at last, thank god I'm free at last. I haven't watched a "show" on broadcast/cable television in months.

Although I still pay for the cable connection to get sports and news, it sure is nice to be the master of one's domain in terms of entertainment programming.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'm actually getting ready to cancel my cable since I've now taped all of the Gunsmoke episodes on The Westerns Channel. I can see why sports fans would keep it, but I don't watch anything on either regular or cable anymore. Most movies on cable are in pan and scan and as for tv shows, I can't stand commercials, logos, and all the edits on older shows. I just keep buying all of my favorites on DVD and I basically program my own weekly prime time schedule. I had been watching 24, Alias, Sopranos, and Six Feet Under, but now I figure I'll just rent or buy them when they're released on disc instead.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I did away with cable 3 years ago. I rent (99 cents a week)and go to movies. I'll rent TV shows as well. It's only in the last year where I've discovered it's convenient and economical (and fun) to buy TV sets. It's stuff I've enjoyed watching in the past (not necessarily as a child). I might watch an episode a night if I have time. Basically, as an adult I'd rather not start watching shows for the first time. I'd rather go out, watch a movie, or compose music or something. I watch some sports too, but never at home.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I would like to do away with cable as well with all that I've collected in DVD, VHS, Radio tapes as well, but there remain four things I need cable for:

1-News (I watch a certain cable news channel only)
2-Sports
3-Documentaries
4-The occasional rerun of a show not on DVD and also the movies on TCM and Fox Movie Channel not released on DVD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm approaching it from a different direction. I've never paid for cable (or satellite). I had free basic when I was an apartment dweller, but after I bought my house in 1986 I never bothered to have either installed. So the way I look at it, all those thousands of dollars I've not sent to the cable company are now being used to build my TV-on-DVD library (including cable exclusive shows I would otherwise never have seen like "The Sopranos", "Sex & The City", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", etc.)

:emoji_thumbsup:

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i did the same... i have more dvd's then i can count. :D
i dont need cable. :p)
plus a lot of the shows i like dont show on tv anymore.
so now i get them anyway i can.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Well, I did something similar. A new show came on that I was interested in and I found out I would have to upgrade my cable to get the channel that was showing it.

Well, I figured out how much a year of upgrading would cost for just ONE SHOW and decided there was no way the DVD of that season would be more and so I waited patiently and bought the DVD instead. Cost less, and I have a permanent addition to my DVD collection.

I can't remember which show it was now.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep, cable's too expensive and it blows. Havent had it in years. Don't miss it. The only thing I dig is VH1 classic videos which I watch at my mom's. Probably a good thing, if I had it I'd always be watching it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks