What's new

Anyone Else Bringing Their Y2K Emergency Supplies Out of Mothballs? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Is anyone else bringing the emergency supplies they purchased for Y2K out of mothballs?
I’ve restocked the emergency food & water, & checked out the ‘wind-up’ radio & generators.
Still no gas masks though.
Jay Taylor

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Nope...business as usual here.
Not gonna let them get the best of me and turn me into a paranoid survivalist.
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The only Y2k emergency supplies I bought were some 10 gallon water jugs and a couple of 5 gallon plastic gas cans.
Neither were used for Y2K. I just never got around to filling them up. Heh. :) I did pull out my gas cans shortly after the attacks (when stations were raising prices to $5 a gallon) & filled them up at the gas station down the street. Emptied them both into my RV two days later when prices stayed the same...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Not gonna let them get the best of me and turn me into a paranoid survivalist.
Well there's a difference between being prepared and being paranoid. If you aren't prepared, they will get the best of you. Everybody should have a 72 hour emergency supply. This is good preparation regardless of the current situation we are in. It should contain some basic essentials. Things you will need for a 72 hour survival. First aid, water, some food, cash, photocopies of important documents (identification, birth certificates, etc), blankets, fire starters, etc. After these recent events I'm adding dust masks to my kit. Good for any major earthquake as well.
This is especially important if you live in areas that get hit by natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes). However, if you live in a "safe" zone you should also be prepared as well. Natural disasters can strike anywhere at anytime. Those places that aren't prepared will feel it the worst.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Julie K

Screenwriter
"What do you people have against being prepared?"
I'm currently buying more water than usual, but that's because I had an accident with my previous supply. I buy 5 gallons packaged in 2 2-1/2 gal containers in a cardboard box and one of them leaked. Naturally, it was one on the bottom and one stack tipped and took out the rest. 75 gallons spread all over my garage floor
angry.gif

But Bill has it right (and thanks for the idea about dust masks!). People should have supplies to last through a natural disaster. Personally, I feel three days of supplies is a bit too short, but whatever you have is better than nothing. But whatever you do, don't get food and water that you might have to "dust off". Get stuff you use and rotate it. I drink a lot of water, so I like to keep a good amount on hand.
Oh, there was one thing I bought for Y2K but that was really just a lame excuse. This was just so darn cute: Link Removed I use it a lot actually.
BTW, my quote at the start, and indeed in my .sig, are from my favorite paranoid survivalist - Burt Gummer from the incredible Tremors series. Seriously, it's a shame that being prepared is somehow equated to being a paranoid nutjob fighting off giant sandworms or the like...
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
[Edited last by Julie K on September 25, 2001 at 07:18 AM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
BTW, is Anthrax a spore or a bacteria? I've seen it described as both as you can breathe it in, absorb it through the skin, eat it in raw meat, or drink it.
Being a spore and passable through the skin, I imagine a water filter wont really work on it, say a .2micron water filter... Am I correct?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Y2K gave many people the incentive to purchase the emergency supplies they’ve always needed for tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes and other disasters. It became a practice exercise in emergency preparedness.
For many like myself, acquiring emergency supplies is fun and makes us feel and actually be more secure. After all, when you live in tornado alley, waiting for an F5 tornado to bear down on you is a bad time to decide to dig a storm cellar.
Now a possible disaster near the bottom of the list has been moved to the top: Terrorism.
Deciding whether or not to have emergency supplies on hand is a personal decision. All we have to do is look around the living room at our family and decide will we be Mr. Macho, ignore the threat, and therefore jeopardize the safety and security of our family? Or will we increase our family's safety and security by being prepared?
For my family it’s a no brainer, we’re prepared and will increase our preparedness now that chemical/biological attack is more feasible.
Lets see, what was that line from ‘The Godfather’? Something about ‘women & children can be careless, but men must not....’
In our society, women like Julie K and my wife are among the most well prepared, but I think you can get my point.
Being prepared is a sign of strength, not paranoia.
It makes our country stronger, not weaker.
Jay Taylor

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
The only threat of disaster here is getting snowed in. And in the winter we have canned food ready for an emergency. If the power goes out we could use one of the fifty candle the woman keeps in the bedroom and a camp stove is always downstairs. As far as terrorism here, in the middle of nowhere, I don't think we'll be a target. More people worked in the WTC than in this tiny town.
jeremy

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
BTW, is Anthrax a spore or a bacteria? I've seen it described as both as you can breathe it in, absorb it through the skin, eat it in raw meat, or drink it.
The following are excerpts from here: Anthrax
Anthrax (malignant edema, woolsorters' disease)
What is anthrax?
Anthrax is an acute infectious disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax most commonly occurs in warm-blooded animals, but can also infect man. Anthrax spores can be produced in a dry form (for biological warfare ) which may be stored and ground into particles. When inhaled by humans, these particles cause respiratory failure and death within a week.
How is anthrax transmitted?
Anthrax infection can occur in three forms: cutaneous (skin), inhalation, and gastrointestinal. B. anthracis spores can live in the soil for many years and humans can become infected with anthrax by handling animal products from infected animals or by inhaling anthrax spores from contaminated animal products. Anthrax can also be spread by eating undercooked meat from infected animals. It is rare to find infected animals in the United States.
How soon after infection do symptoms appear?
The incubation period is usually within seven days.
Jay Taylor

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
So... besides a gas mask, how would one protect against injesting it via the water supply? Iodine, filter, purifier? I would think that anything that can be absorbed through the skin is smaller than any water filter can filter, but I'm not sure. How would iodine supposedly handlesviruses in addition to the nasty Giardia, Cryptospirosis. I'm not sure if the labs would be testing filters/purifiers to things like Anthrax as the intended application is not terrorism, but backpackers and stuff...
Makes one wonder so I'm curious...
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As a backpacker I'd bet that those iodine tabs would kill just about anything. They make the water taste liks total ass though. Boiling would work better probably.
Do a little searching online about chemical and biological weapons to start think about what you could do about them. (hint: the answer is nothing)
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on September 27, 2001 at 08:49 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks