What's new

Anyone done side by side comparisons of the 2 new versions of Fulci's Zombie yet? (1 Viewer)

richardWI

Second Unit
I guess I'll get the SS version. This movie will be a blind purchase for me, and if I wind up getting obsessive over it I'll pick up the BU version later on. From the reviews I've seen, it seems to be a real "love it" or "hate it" title.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
Jim & Richard-are you gentlemen fans of foreign horror? if not, you may want to rent this one first...im just making sure I don't influence anyone to buy something they may not like-it's definitely very different from American horror films, keep that in mind...if you DO decide to get the movie, by all means let us know what you think, especially if it's the first time you've ever seen it! you have the distinct advantage of being able to make your decision about how you like the film from watching VERY nice transfers of it...i first saw it at our local drive-in circa 1980-82 or so rated x for violence, but i'm sure it was a pretty battered print, so these new DVD's are a godsend! enjoy!

richardWI

Second Unit
Anthony,
I have a few Argento DVDS and some Giallos, so I have some familiarity with the genre. I really like off-the-wall style of euro-horror so we'll see how it goes! The only Fulci I've seen is a Spagetti Western, "Four of the Apocalypse" and it scarred me for life.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, if you like Italian horror then Zombie is a must for any collection...you might feel empathy pains in your eye afterwards though.:D

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be getting the MB/SS version. I already have the AB but it only cost me $10 at Best Buy a couple of years ago.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The interview with Lustig linked to above is very interesting and explains exactly why there are two versions, which made no sense to me before reading this. Evidenly, there was a rights issue and Blue Underground gave Shriek Show the rights to release a special edition for two years. Perhaps Blue Underground will put out their own special edition when the two years are up, but much as I love Blue Underground for now it looks like the Shriek Show edition is the best one.

In somewhat off-topic news, I was glad to see that there are plans for another Blue Underground Giallo collection and that they are close to finalising the complete Blind Dead collection that's been talked about for over a year now.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
grrr..try as I might, I just can't get into giallos that much...I enjoy Argento's giallos as pure exercises in style, but the others I've seen (including the giallo box which I bought) just bore me to tears for some reason...I guess I am just the type who likes some element of fantasy of some kind in the films I enjoy...if you like them, though, the world is your oyster, because it seems like there are about 1 gazillion giallos out there-honestly, seemingly every Italian director made at least 2 of them, hehe!

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, thanks for the link to that interview. Lustig is really an unspoken hero of the DVD format, as he's worked endlessly to bring us a number of rare and obscure titles. I also commend him and BU for giving MB/SS the rights to release their excellent 2-disc SE of Zombi 2.

Pat Donoh

Auditioning
Great interview! Especially looking forward to Night Train Murders, Giallo set, and the Blind Dead set.

On a related note, has anyone been brave/insane enough to sit down and watch Fulci's CONQUEST yet? :D

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

My best friend and I did. :)

It was fun, a sort of Beastmaster wannabe on a budget of about $5. But you have to have two things to enjoy it.

1) Be a Fulci fan, or at least find his style appealing. The surreal-esque atmosphere of Zombie and The Beyond is found throughout the film and of course the gore is over-the-top.

2) A good sense of humor. The last exchange between the two villains before the final smackdown by the hero is probably one of the funniest moments I've ever seen in a fantasy film. I'm sure Fulci was going for more of a fun, action movie, but it's so schlocky that I found it appealing in that way.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I'm sorry, but I keep reading this part of the Lustig interview over and over, and I'm just in disbelief. I just cannot believe these negatives are gone...!!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet so...
I just bought the Shriek Show version for $15 at Best Buy (I really didn't think it would be that cheap) and just got finished scanning through it and I have to ask anyone else who has this, what is up with the DD 5.1 track? I have browsed just about every scene that stood out sonically on the old AB disc and I swear it is a 3.1 track! There is absolutely NO rear channel action whatsoever, not even for atmosphere such as wind, water and the like.

Is this the way the BU disc sounds because it is a bit of a disappointment or do I have a defective disc that folds the rears into the front channel?

Any SS/BU audio comparisons would be welcome.

EDIT: Ok, I really checked the tracks out and there actually is surround info but it is for the most part at very low levels rather spotty and, except for one moment that I have found, it is basically an occasional mono mirror of the front info therefor it doesn't come through at first listening, in fact I had to turn down the front channels altogether just to hear it as it is at a such a low level.
IMO the original AB track was better as far as discreet directionality and general atmosphere goes.

Again, is the BU mix any better because I am fairly underwhelmed with Shriek Show's mix so far.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Well, I haven't got the BU DVD yet, but the screenshots on dvdbeaver are telling me that the BU version is the one to get. The SS looks too bright and even worse, the color on the SS version looks really bad.

So the BU is the way to got IMO.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I sat down last night & really did a side by side comparison between the old Anchor Bay 5.1 mix and the new 5.1 mix and I have to admit I was wrong in my first appraisal, yes the old mix was a bit more hefty but also very gimmicky, the new mix is indeed very front-centric but has some nice pans and definitely improves the DR and, as it was apparently taken strictly from the original elements without any new foley done, it is more faithful to the original tracks.

I was wrong ok? ...WRONG!! ..sob...sob....wrong....;)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
Our US reviewer has checked out all three US releases of the classic Fulci undead, flesh-eating gore-fest Zombi 2 (Zombie). You can find his comparison review here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks