What's new

Any way to "reset/reboot" my Yamaha RX-V1200? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
OK, an update for all those following.
I took the unit into the store where I purchased. They handle all service issues and you dont ever have to deal with the manufacturer or service shops. :D The manager said he was going to submit it under the symptoms I described, but let the techs decide if it was a surge (non-warrentable) so there is a chance that they will just fix it or replace it under warranty.
I also just ordered a Panamax Max4300 so hopefully this wont happen again.
I will follow up again next week after I hear what happens with the service shop.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Man, I feel for you Charles. Good luck with the Panamax and getting your Yamaha repaired/replaced.

Slightly OT:

Does anyone know what happens when you use a Panamax on a 20A line? All the Panamax products are rated for 15A. Do you just lose the additional capacity of the 20A line?

I'd like to get a Panamax to avoid the hell that Charles is going through but I've been leaning towards a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet because it doesn't limit current. Problem is that the PS Audio UO is pretty expensive when you consider that you only get two outlets and no Tel/Coax/DBS protection.

All the Brickwall products are 15A with the exception of the RM20AUD component.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Jim,
The last 2 AC outlets on the back are generally used for high current components, such as subwoofers or amplifiers. These outlets have ZERO in line inductance. There is an energy storing capacitor in parallel with this circuit that can augment the power available during high power events. This means that the unit can provide more power than is available at the wall during a burst of high current draw, another Panamax advantage. Many amplifier manufacturers suggest plugging their amps directly into the wall, but these features completely eliminate that need! These outlets are delayed-on.
You have to determine whether the "current limiting" bugaboo wud really apply to your system. And yes, PS Audio stuff is expensive!

bill

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Charles: Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you'll be up and running again soon!
I've been reading this thread with some interest because I work at a small electric utility. There are a couple of things that I feel could use some clarification...
First, the blinks. There are many possible causes but probably 2 main ones. Either something wrong with the distribution system equipment that feeds your home (this is the utility "stuff" that directly connects to your home's service and can go back as far as a main substation) or something wrong with your home's service itself (possible bad transformer, bad neutral connection or something inside your home.) Any one or a combination of these things can be the source of the blinks. (There are more possibilities but they are more remote.) I totally agree that calling your utility is a good idea. They can check their transformer, their connections to your service and even check to see if there have been blinks on some of their line protection devices. If these all check ok, then you may need to get an electrician to check out your service. Also, the utility can set power quality equipment either near or in your home to check for more blinks (if nothing turns up during these other investigations.) Bottom line...the cause CAN be found!
As for surge suppression equipment...
That is a tougher area to figure out. My understanding so far in this thread is that the consensus is to lay the blame on the surge suppressor for the receiver failure (besides the blinks of which started it all of course.) While the suppressors may indeed be a part of this unfortunate situation (since we don't know the cause of the blinks), the core of the problem IS the electronic device manufacturers themselves. The real world (electricity-wise) is that there WILL be instances of slight over-voltage, slight under-voltage, low level spikes, short-term outages, etc. in the very best utiltity power out there. ALL (100%) of these minor problems (within reasonable levels) should be something all electronics should be able to handle without ANY additional equipment. But the real world for electronics (including PC's) is that many models often poorly handle these types of minor problems.
To make matters worse, most of us have somehow been led to believe that the minor problems I've listed can be absorbed by using a typical surge suppressor. And, in most cases, a standard surge suppressor provides zero protection against these problems. A standard surge suppressor protects against high level spikes (voltage levels much higher than the standard 120 volts we are supposed to have) or dead shorts. And that's all! The most common example of what these suppressors do best is during lightning. (Of course, if a lightning strike is strong enough, nothing will stop it.)
There are other types of protection out there. I'm not an engineer and have not studied the market to know what's available. But at a minimum, good, REAL (not marketing hype) line conditioning that includes over/under voltage protection (perhaps even voltage regulation) should be part of the package. In some cases, where it really matters, a UPS may be the best choice of all. This will give the best chance at having good 120 volt power all the time.
Sorry for the ramble but I felt like I needed to give my 2 cents worth... :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that info Bill. It's the answer that I expected but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm either buying a Denon 4802 or going to separates with a big amp (once I figure out what the hell I want). I've done all the calculations for power requirements. With a surge suppressor that's rated for 15A I'd be slamming up against the limit and that's a little too close for me. I want the extra capacity that the 20A line gives me. This is especially true if I add more channels/amps.

Well, it looks like I'm back to PS Audio or the 20A version of the Brickwall. It's too bad because the Panamax line has some good features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks