What's new

any cool places to stay in st. paul MN? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
headed there for a concert at the excel center, need a cool, not too expensive place to stay nearby if anyone knows of any? :)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I would call here:

Saint Paul Convention and Visitors Bureau
175 West Kellogg Boulevard, Suite 502
Saint Paul, MN 55102
651.265.4900 / 800.627.6101

That's about the best I can do.

Good Luck

Chet

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately we don't have any 'exciting' places to stay in the Twin Cities. If you want inexpensive, that rules out The St Paul Hotel. It's a very nice, old, Ritz-Carlton style hotel, but you're looking at $170+ a night for a regular room. I would suggest staying at a hotel on the Bloomington strip (do a search on Expedia - there's at least 30 hotels within 5 miles of each other). You can spend some time at Mall of America, you're within 15 minutes of downtown Minneapolis, and less than 10-15 minutes from the Xcel Energy Center.
Maybe make a trip to the Metrodome to see the 1st-place, and soon-to-be World Champion, Minnesota Twins! :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, down by the mall is probably a good bet. I looked at the st paul hotel online, but don't want to spend more than about 90 bucks a night ;)
Hey, didn't they build a krispy kreme in the mall of america? might have to check that, jonny rockets, and tony roma's out :D

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Krispy Kreme isn't open yet - last I heard was they were opening in November. Since you're in ND, are you driving down? If so, there is a Krispy Kreme on the way - right as 94 hits the 494/694 loop, there is one in Maple Grove. I highly recommend a pit stop there. And right across the street is a brand new multiplex with some great DTS-equipped theaters. Maybe you can catch a movie while eating your Krispy Kreme's. :D
And plan on spending a long time at MOA if you want to see most of it. You might have time for a full meal at Johnny Rocket's (lunch) and Tony Roma's (dinner). :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's only about a 3.5 hour drive.
generally we head down every september for a weekend, it always seems there's a concert I want to see right around then, 1999 was tori amos but we didn't stay because it was that gay MP3.com tour with tori and alanis, tori performed first then we left, 2001 was tori amos with rufus waiwright, 2002 is tool :D Tori #1 was at the target center, tori #2 was at the orhpheum (sp?) AWESOME place. This one is at the excel energy center, Wish it was a smaller venue, but them's the breaks.
last year we spent a couple days in the mall, no shopping just lookin around. Tony Roma's is my favorite resturaunt, used to eat there ALL the time when I lived in portland, too bad it's so expensive in the MOA, but it's the only one within like 1000 miles (there's 3 of them in portland and I've eaten at all 3 several times LoL)
the first time I had krispy kreme was last may, I drove to indianapolis to pick up a motorcycle and happened to rive by one so I grabbed a dozen and ate them ALL on the drive home (900 miles or so)
I'll FOR SURE check out the theater (though I hate DTS theaters- used to be a projectionist in a DTS house, DD for me please)
I really like MSP from what I've seen of it, it's nice to get out of this shithole and into a real city for once, especially in the fall.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the drive isn't too bad. I have a friend with a cabin up in Detroit Lakes which is almost in your neck of the woods.
I think you'll be happy with the Xcel Center. It is a big hockey arena, but they built it with concerts in mind, meaning great acoustic setup. I've only seen one concert there and it sounded great.
The theater in Maple Grove is nice - almost all of the 16 theaters are great sounding, and haven't had any projection issues that I've witnessed. And those comfy reclining seats, almost makes me want to leave my home theater every weekend. Almost. :) And if you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, you can get one of those VIP rooms in the back of the theater with your own speakers and big, comfy chairs. I don't have that burning sensation in my pants, so I've never sat in there. :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
xcel wasn't bad, a bit smokey, but getting in and out was cake.
spent the day at the mall, then went and caught one hour photo down on hennepin in a cool old theater (forgot name) then back to the mall for tony roma's, then hitting up krispy kreme again on the way out of town tomorrow :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yes, corner of hennepin and lagoon or something like that?
very nice area, wouldn't mind living around there myself.
that theater was really enjoyable, the seats weren't the best but the audience was great. Complete silence the entire time, not used to that :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks