What's new

Anthony's DIY links (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

DIY subwoofer design FAQ
...For getting you newbies started
I'll start the list of topics in no particular order...after we get a list, we can get the data rolling (IMO).
1) "What the heck does that mean?" ...a Glossary Of Speaker Terms.
2) What type of subwoofer setup? (sealed, ported Etc.)
3) sealed varients: IB/Linkwitz Transform/ELF (EAS)/isobaric
4) ported varients: PR/TL/4th order Bandpass
5) What makes a good enclosure?
6) What makes a driver more suited for particular alignments
7) There is no replacement for displacement (the nature of SPL)
8) How low is low enough?
9) What is room gain?
10) basic/advanced modeling software (FREE!!)
11) The various Qtc's of sealed allignments
12) The various ported alignments
13) Should I brace?
14) proper tools and TOOL SAFETY
15) Can my driver be used for downfiring?
16) Efficiency and Sensitivity
17) Everything Sonotub
18) Can my XXX brand car audio sub be used for HT?
19) What if I don't have T/S parameters and no actual speaker measuring software?
20) Link Removed
this should keep you all busy for a while.
My advice is to use already posted info instead of re-creating it. But, you BETTER SITE IT and give the author due credit :)!!!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Thanks pat for resurecting this

Any body care for posting a good link or addendum to the list of 17 ...so that a complete newbiew list can be made.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Question #1: Can I use this old (insert manufacturer name here) car audio driver to build a sub for my home?
:)
Brian

Geno

Supporting Actor
Cool, I was just going to email you brian about this topic.
new question: What do I do if I have absolutely no specs on a driver except its a 10" and very high excursion?

PS: ive tried the manufacturer and no answer
PPS: yes its a home audio woofer

A

Anthony_Gomez

Geno..you can do very little....but If you have a computer and a DMM (to measure current, voltage and resistance), you can get all your basic measurements except for vas. If you have a box with known volume, then you can get Vas as well.
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxad3.htm
without these, we can only guess some stuff. any indictation markings or an image would help. If it is for car audio, then put in in a sealed 1ft box and you should be fine...for home audio, it is a major crap shoot.

Geno

Supporting Actor
well give me a week and Ill be asking y'all what type of laminate I should use. well close. That really helped. I had no idea where to start. ive got all that equipment to test with and nothing to do over the weekend. :)
i APPRECIATE THE HELP.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I think a specific section on what a port is, how it works and how it tunes the enclosure would be of use. Then that section could be expanded on with the extra info needed about PRs.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I think a big problem with newcomers is they don't even know what differentiates a good FR graph from a bad one, and everything in between. A little talk about "Q" should definitely be in order as well.

Pete

A

Anthony_Gomez

I just had a brain fart.

What if instead of just linking to sources outside the web we do this.

Create a master index thread (like the announcement threads) that link to other threads. These other threads would have links like the one above at the beginning and these threads are strict topic threads?

Anyone think that that is a better idea?

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
wow! making an index thread is a excellent idea anthony, and i hope it works out.

im thinking about starting my own sono sub in a couple of months and this thread has some really good stuff for me to start researching. the only aspect of making my own sub that im worried about is what dimensions to use. the FRD Consortium page looked kind of confusing. do i need to use all of the programs/pages linked there in order to make a sono sub?

Patrick Sun's sonosub II page is roughly what i want to make, but his page didnt say anything about how he designed his sub. could you please tell me how you did this Pat? that would be nice information to have on this thread, as well as for myself.

thx for the help.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Fong, the FRC consortium has programs to build all sorts of things. The most usefull program for you there (and probably the only one most newbies will use) is UNIBOX.
Hank,
That is already answered on #15
(do I need a FAQ on how to use a FAQ? :D)
*hides from the flying tomatoes*

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I owe you one! ;) Serves me right for not completely reading, eh? Retraining possibly necessary in hard cases like mine.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank, no problem:) I figured it was one of the side effects of the ethanol preservative :)
*waiting for Brian to chime in*

Bryan_G

Agent
np man. I know its not very detailed, but it might help someone. I think this whole idea is great. It will help a lot of people.

-Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks