What's new

Andy Griffith Show (1 Viewer)

Does anybody have any best guesses as to whether or not the Andy Griffith Show will ever be released in Season sets? All we get is the same 15 or 16 episodes on various discount discs. Are these public domain or something?

BrianP

Supporting Actor
The question has been asked before but I never heard any answers when or if season sets would be released. I know that I would purchase the B&W episodes.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I vote YES for Season Sets too! Most definitely.

"Andy" is one of the most beloved TV programs ever to air. I can't believe that this show will remain DVD-less (except for the proverbial Public D. episodes) forever! It just *begs* for souped-up season-by-season DVD treatment.

I totally concur with the member above who seems (like myself) to prefer the B&W TAGS programs (1960-1965). Once they hit color, the show slid on the funny scale. Some of the later ones are OK, but you can't beat Barn, Anj, Thelma Lou, and Gomer in the black-&-white era!

The Season 1 Christmas episode (one of the very few, if not ONLY, "time-stamped" episodes of TAGS) is one of my favorite sitcom Holiday shows. Will Wright as crusty ol' Ben Weaver steals the show from Andy & Barney in this one.

And always remember fellas.....
"It's definitely no fun ... when that iron door clangs shut on ya!" -- Bernard Milton Fife

ToddL

Grip
Real Name
Todd
I agree. To me this is one of the best shows ever to grace the television set.

I can't believe this show is not out on DVD yet. Obviously there are a lot of people that still like to watch it or it wouldn't be shown on TV as much as it is.

Bring on the Season Sets!

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I'm sure Paramount will get around to releasing season sets sometime in the future. If they're doing Lucy and Honeymooners, who's to say they won't do Andy?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure you're correct, Jeffrey. It's just a matter of when.

Hopefully sooner rather than much later, so we can be treated (possibly) to an Andy commentary track for some episodes.

Others who could contribute to some extra features would be Jim Nabors, Betty Lynn, and Don "Fast Gun" Knotts. :)

(Barney was one lucky Deputy! That Thelma Lou was quite comely. :))

Blu

Screenwriter
Has there been any rumors of this set yet?

I'd love to see some special for DVD features like interviews with Don Knotts, Andy, and a few others before it is too late.

I don't know if anyone could call a DVD collection complete without this show in it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for season sets of Andy as well, but I'll bet guys like David and Gord get this question just slightly less than the question of:

"When is All in the Family season 3 coming out?" or its slight variation: "What's taking so long for All in the Family Season 3 to come out?"

I'm staying far away from those best of discs.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Casey: :D

Yes, I was planning to stay far away from this thread, but your remark was dead-on! So much so that I had to say "thanks".

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David, no problem, I understand what its like to get the same select few questions over and over again, I'm guessing you will be quite happy when TVShowsOnDVD.com has a headline of Finally! All in the Family Season 3!

You guys do good work, and I thank you for your insite, I've learned a lot about TV on DVD simply by reading your posts so for that, I extend my thanks.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I would buy the entire series of Andy Griffith TOMORROW if it were available... in fact, I would also buy the entire series for my dad.

This needs a release. To me, this and The Cosby Show are simply two of the best family sitcoms ever. They are pure enjoyment.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I would buy the entire series of Andy Griffith TOMORROW if it were available.
I'll stand in line with you, Zack. :)

Except, I'll stop after Season #5. The final 3 seasons (the color shows) were lacking the luster and comic timing (IMO) that exudes from the 1960-1965 episodes, with Barney in full "Fast-Gun Fife" mode. :D :) :D

They changed Andy Taylor dramatically in the waning seasons, for some reason. He goes from the most southern-sounding hick imaginable to a whiny sour-puss (who's lost virtually ALL of his accent) in just a few years' time.

Plus: Barney's replacement, Warren, was just not ... well ... Barney. :)

A first-rate DVD release, similar to Image's Dick Van Dyke Show stellar volumes, would be most welcome on my shelving units. (Yeah...outsource TAGS to Image Entertainment. That's the ticket!) :)

"Here at 'The Rock', we've got three main rules. .... Rule number one: Follow All Rules...." -- B. Fife; Mayberry County, N.C., law enforcement official :laugh:

http://epguides.com/AndyGriffithShow/

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Colorization is when Andy jumped the Shark. Howard as Barney's replacement wasn't any better. All the good episodes are black and white, which is why you barely see any of the color ones on TV these days. The first time I saw a colored episode, I thought it was a different show.

David VP, you're getting a lot done. Just today you've turned over the rights of Mary Tyler Moore, and TAGS to Image entertainment. Hey, like I said in the other thread, the Van Dyke sets may be the best TV boxes on the market.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David VP, you're getting a lot done. Just today you've turned over the rights of Mary Tyler Moore, and TAGS to Image entertainment. Hey, like I said in the other thread, the Van Dyke sets may be the best TV boxes on the market.
You are soooo correct there (regarding the Van Dykes). Prior to TDVDS, the MTM-1 set was my #1 TV-on-DVD boxed set. Now, Mary's other offering, the Van Dyke Show, has unseated MTM-1's lofty status. :)

The MTM & TDVDS sets are fine examples of "how to do TV right" on DVD. I'm sure you kids will all concur with my evaluation of these products. :D

Now....Image, get busy with purchasing MTM-2, TAGS, and...while you're at it, start up The Fugitive (1963) Season 1 to boot. (Another program of fine quality deserving of top-notch digital restoration.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Howard as Barney's replacement wasn't any better.
Huh?? :confused:

Howard Sprague was the County Clerk. Is this the "Howard" you meant?

Warren Ferguson (played by Jack Burns) was Barney's replacement. Although, upon looking this up, I was surprised to find out that Warren only appeared in one season of the program.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is the Howard I'm referring to, and I don't mean he became Andy's deputy or anything, just that he seemed to have a real prominent role in some of the color episodes I watched. How prominent, I don't recall off the top of my head as it has been years since I've seen any of them, and I've tried to block it out of memory.

Thanks for the info though.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Oh, OK, Casey. I gotcha now.

Yes, Howard certainly didn't capture the fancy of a lot of people the same way Barney, Thelma Lou, and Gomer did.

Goober, Emmett, and Sam Jones were all fine Mayberry-ites as well. But it just wasn't the same as in the Barney era.

(As proof as to how weak most people feel the color shows of TAGS were: Have you *ever* heard ANYONE screaming "Where's Mayberry RFD on DVD??!!!"? :) )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate that a lot. I'm thinking that I'm getting way too big a head, and too arrogant for my britches. I probably need to be taken down a peg or two. :wink:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Warren was on more than one episode. He was in three or four at least. He just didn't last very long. As for the quality of the color episodes compared to the b&w ones, the older ones are definitely the best but there are some real gems in the later seasons as well. Goober was an especially funny character and, I feel, a more-than-worthy replacement for Gomer Pyle.

I'd buy a decent dvd set in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks