What's new

Analog or Digital for CDs INTO a 1603 (1 Viewer)

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have my Hitachi DVD player using Coax intot the coax digital in on my Denon 1603.

I have read a lot of posts regarding internal DAcs etc. I was wondering what opinions people would have on if I would be better to use an anolog connection ALSO and run it into the CD input of my 1603. Use the coax for DVD and analog for CD?

I know I should test it BUT I have (what I think ) is a high quality coax cable but have nothing more than some short Acoustics reasearch and radio shack gold plated RCA cables around . I don't want to spend $$ just to buy analog cables to compare. Will the cheaper interconnects from DVD player to reciever make the comparison between analog and digital pointless?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Will the cheaper interconnects from DVD player to reciever make the comparison between analog and digital pointless?
Probably not. At least you'll be able to tell if you like one over the other. There is little reason for running both Analog and Digital from one component to another. Many players output dodgy signals (High levels of garbage) on their analog connections when outputing a DTS stream down the digital line, so be careful if you try this. You should have no problems if you play just CDs though. You could hook the digital coax into your DVD input on the 1603, and the analogs up to the CD input. Then play a CD and switch between DVD and CD on the 1603 to see which you prefer. Note that they are unlikely to be level matched, and so this may influence how you perceive the differences (if any).

You definitely should try this out yourself though. Don't rely on others opinions (including mine) when those opinions have likely been sourced from others, which have come from others etc. etc. and now have become a common belief. There is nothing to say that this is right or wrong. You must test for yourself.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
That was good advice. I did try the analog outputs and A/Bed it and decided within a few minutes that I prefered the digital. I don't know if it is the DAC in the DVD the reciever or just in my mind that digital is better than analog. It just sounded better to me. You are 100% right if it sounds better to ME then it is better.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
There are usually better DAC's in your receiver - unless your CD/DVD player cost more than your receiver that is.

But A/B'ing is usually a good idea.

... Greg

Jonathan M

Second Unit
There are usually better DAC's in your receiver - unless your CD/DVD player cost more than your receiver that is.
Is this based on any actual data or tests? What is the reasoning behind this? Noone, to my knowledge, has ever done comprehensive testing of CD players DACs vs receiver's DACs. The chips themselves do NOT vary greatly in price, and as any designer knows, it's the implementation of the DAC that is often more important than the actual chip used. Also cost, although it is generally a good indicator, is NOT the be all and end all in evaluating quality!

One possible reason why it may be better to use a receiver's DACs is because they MAY do bass management and/or volume control in the digital domain. IF this is so (don't suppose it is) then it MAY eliminate a ADC/DAC conversion. Note that this is pure speculation, as I suspect, the last post was also.

John Royster

Screenwriter
It has actually been my expereince that the DACs in denons model lines are quite inferior to even modestly priced CDPs (200-300 dollars) so I disagree with usings DACs in denon receivers for music. sounds muddy and thin to me.

But bottom line is to make sure you try both ways and pick the one YOU like. Making blanket statements about which is better depends purely on the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks