What's new

an easy way to identify "bad" mp3 tags? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

my friend gave me her old hp digital music server. (old as in she never took it out of the box! :emoji_thumbsup: )

anyway, i got it all hooked up and it works perfectly. i transferred over a bunch of mp3's from my pc, but then noticed a problem.

it appears that a bunch of them were incorrectly tagged. the artist and title both appear in the song-name field in the tag. the artist field is left blank, so the music server filed all those songs under unknown artist.

anyway, i don't feel like going through all my mp3's (i've got about 1k) to figure out which ones have bad tags.

is there an easy way to do this?

thx,

ted

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Nice freebee!

Are the file names correct?
If so, several programs (Tag & Rename, MusicMatch, Media Jukebox) have a function to re-tag the artist and title fields via the file name.

As long as the file names are consistant in format it ought to work perfectly.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx camp. i saw the tag&rename, but they want like 25 bucks for it.

i do have a copy of musicmatch (i think) that came as some software bundle so maybe i'll check that out.

are there any good freeware apps that will do the same? gosh, i hate being a cheapskate! ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Tag & Rename and Media Jukebox http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/ both have trial periods of a month or something like that. Both have limited functionality but I know Media Jukebox will allow you to "tag from filename" during the trial period.

Make sure your version of MusicMatch has "supertagging" as it is easily the best tag app I've yet seen.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh! i think a trial period will work fine. now that i have this toy i'm sure i'll be careful about any future mp3's i rip.

thx again bud! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cool nathan - thanks. it looks pretty cool and i'll definitely keep it in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks