What's new

Amp question plus HT opinions (1 Viewer)

MattAnder

Grip
First my amp question. When somebody says they have a 300 watt amp does that mean the same as when the specs say 150 watts X 2? I'm thinking of getting a Rotel RMB 1075 amp and the specs say that it has 120 watts X 5 into 8 ohms. Does that mean that particular amp has 120 watts or 600 watts (12 x 5)?

Now onto my other question. I want to upgrade my home theater setup. Here's what I'm thinking of getting.

Fronts: Paradigm Reference Studio 100
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC 570
Surround: Paradigm Reference Studio ADP 470
sub: either Paradigm Seismic 10 or Seismic 12

I was also planning on getting some kind of power conditioner from Panamax and an amp. Like I mentioned above I was looking at the Rotel RMB 1075.

Right now I have a Marantz SR8200 receiver, but I was thinking of upgrading that as well.

What do you think of these choices and what do you think I need to change and what sort of recommendations could you give me? Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,

A 150Wx2 amp could indeed be called a 300W amp, but as you noted yourself, it's a bit unprecise to do so.
People might say "a 300W amp" when in fact they mean a 300Wx2 amp. Just ask them what they mean.

Indeed your 120Wx5 amp could very well be called a 600W amp. Of course it will very seldom use all that power at any given moment. This apart from the fact that manufacturers generally are a bit, uhm, optimistic about the specs.

I moved your question to the Receivers/Separates/Amplifiers Forum, where people will undoubtly give you their expert opinions about the suggested gear.

Cees

MattAnder

Grip
Thanks. Yeah I guess I really didn't know where to put it because I had 2 different questions in my post.

MattAnder

Grip
Ok. I did a little more research and also enlisted a friend of mine to help me come up with some ideas for upgrading my home theater. I'm still pretty set on the Paradigm Reference speakers--fronts, center and surrounds. I'm not quite sure about a subwoofer though. Anyway, here are a couple options for amps/pre-amps. Let me know what you think.

Anthem AVM30 pre-amp
Anthem MCA50 amp

OR

Either Rotel RSP1098 or Rotel RSP1068 pre-amp
Rotel RMB 1095 amp

Any opinions?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Both sets of those are well reviewed and respected. You should also consider Outlaw which would probably be a little less expensive.

Have you searched around in the speaker/subwoofer forum? If you do, you'll notice that SVS and Hsu are the two big brands around here . . . and they are for good reason. If I were you I'd look at those two brands and possibly the Paradigm Servo15 if you wanted to stay with the same brand or dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks