What's new

Amp for dual SVS 16-46 CS+ (1 Viewer)

CarlV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently driving dual SVS 16-46 CS+ with a Samsom S1000.

Due to the fan noise, I'm think about changing out my Samson S1000 amp for a Denon 2400 (Class A 350w X 2 into 4ohms) amp.

So my question is, will I notice any improvment in sound (ie. tighter, faster) if I upgrade to this higher end amp or should I just forget about it and keep the Samson because the quality of the amp does not really matter when powering a subwoofer (powerwise all being equal). I’ve read some reviews for this amp on
audioreview
and everyone seems to think it rocks.

I’m sure I don’t use the total 500 watts from the Samson as I don’t listen very loud, I’m more concerned about accuracy.

Ned

Supporting Actor
My Samson S700 is virtually silent unless you put your ear near the front face. Maybe your S1000 just has a bad fan?

I seriously doubt you'll hear any improvement in sound quality as a sub covers such a narrow frequency spectrum.

CarlV

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the Samson amp is not that loud, I just happen to also have a dtc100 that also has a fan and together they can be heard from from the seating position if everything is turned off.

I’m more concerned about the quality of amp and does it make a difference for subfoofers.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
CarlV,

I use a Samson S2000 to drive my eight SVS 16/46 sub-woofers and fan noise is not audible from where I usually sit (but then the front speakers/sub amps are located very close to the main, center channel, and subs that flank, sit below, or are placed behind the 12 foot wide scope screen).

By the way...amplifiers don't sound "fast" -nor does any other sound reproducing piece of equipment for that matter- so don't worry about those insignificant audio trivial things.

I'd say keep the S1000, but if the fan noise bothers you that much then go for something fan-less...

-THTS

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S1000 also and I can't hear my fans until I get right next to the equiptment rack. And even then it's very faint and quiet. I would wonder if maybe a fan is going out?
On a related topic, my fans seem to run 24/7 even when there is no signal. Is this normal? And should I turn the amp off when I'm not using it?

CarlV

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the fan is not that bad. I'll probably end up keeping the samson because my setup sounds pretty good as is.

By the way...amplifiers don't sound "fast" -nor does any other sound reproducing piece of equipment for that matter- so don't worry about those insignificant audio trivial things.
But since I've already bought the Denon amp, I'll swap them out and see if a higher quality amp makes any difference... (I doubt it though)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks