What's new

Amores Perros (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The other day, I rented a movie called Amores Perros. I didn't know anything about it and I hadn't seen anything here on the HTF about it either. I only happened across this at the video store because I was really in the mood to watch an independent or obscure movie.
I just finished watching this and I was really impressed how good this film was. I am probably going to buy the DVD.
I loved that the movie was an anthology like Go and Pulp Fiction. I'm of the opinion that when a story is told in that manner, it is a very effective way to show a link or common ground to all of the characters. Amores Perros is no exception.
The characters are all of a different class. The class divide is made evident through the dogs. In the first segment "Octavio and Susana," the rotweiler, a dog bred for dog fighting (if memory serves), is symbolic of the types of Octavio and Susana, who are fighters. Octavio fighting for the love and admiration of Susana and Susana fighting for a "normal" relationshiop with her husband, Octavio's brother.
Each story is very interesting and contains wonderful performances. I loved this film! I only wish I would have gone to see it during its theatrical run.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It was one of the few DVDs that I've bought sight unseen...and let me tell you, I was not dissapointed in the least. One hell of a movie to say the least...

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
This is one of my favorite films of the year! I've been waiting several weeks already for my copy to ship from Amazon... is there a shortage of this title in the USA?
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you took the chance. I'm not surprised you enjoyed it since it was not only a Best Foreign Film Oscar nominee last year, but it has been in almost everyone's top 10 around here.
I guess it still surprises me when people "find" films that so many have been raving about. Even worse is that it appears that you aren't getting much response.
Seriously, if you enjoyed it you should take advantage of the HTF by checking the Best of 2001 list or Edwin's Summer Art Films threads. You might not like everything there, but at least you will have heard some buzz around a title like Amores Perros before you walk into the rental store.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Just a heads up, as I posted in the bargains forum a few days ago, this is available at all Border's B&M's right now for $14.99 (ignore the sticker price). I listed the features in my post.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Amores Perros is a great flick. Potential viewers should be made aware, however, that there is a good bit of dogfighting violence in the film. I didn't scrutinize the credits, but I doubt the ASPCA was consulted for this Mexican film. To my untrained eye a lot of the "dead" dogs looked tranquilized, but in any case I'm sure it will be disturbing to some.
An aside for you other lovers of Spanish-language films, did anyone notice the plug for Abre Los Ojos (being remade as Vanilla Sky)? When the ex-guerrilla was looking through the newspaper he turns past a 1/4 page ad with the Spanish artwork for ALO. Nice touch, and clearly not coincidental since ALO came out in 1997.
------------------
burns2.gif
Release the hounds!
smithers2.gif

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Terrific film that I bought sight unseen based on its Oscar nomination and reviews and its Mexican origin. Love fractured time stories in any case, and this is among the best.
In one of the shorts, they say the dogs were not harmed, although I'm sure there are less stringent standards in Mexico than in the US on this issue. There was something said that the dogs were kept apart, and there was a short discussion of how the dogs mouths were tied to keep them from inflicting a bite. The dead dogs did look convincing, however, and I did wonder if they were "extras" from a pound.
This is a film that needs to be seen a few times. Major characters from one story pass barely noticed in another story, yet their presence reveals a bit more about their own story. While it's certainly bloody, the violence is not gratuitous and, like a Hitchcock film, you think you see more than you actually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks