What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (2 Viewers)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

How can voters vote for the wrong person? We're supposed to vote for the contestant we want to win. I think people are doing that.

I think, oftentimes, when you hear this said, it's more a commentary on the very limited demographic who actually votes (which is why, the past three years, we've gotten the same general result). This is just a guess, but I'd wager that the Pareto Principle applies here-- 20% of the voters account for 80% of the vote. And it's probably even more lopsided than that. And consider on top of that, I would bet half the viewers don't even vote in the first place.

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Bryan X

I think, oftentimes, when you hear this said, it's more a commentary on the very limited demographic who actually votes (which is why, the past three years, we've gotten the same general result). This is just a guess, but I'd wager that the Pareto Principle applies here-- 20% of the voters account for 80% of the vote. And it's probably even more lopsided than that. And consider on top of that, I would bet half the viewers don't even vote in the first place.

Yes, that is bascially what I meant, not that voters voted for the wrong person but that the wrong voters voted for the wrong person...ok wait, now I'm confused. I read an article on Yahoo that said that A.I. voters pick the same person. Consider David Cook over David Archeletta, Kris Allen over Adam Lambert, and now Lee over Crystal, every single runner up was supposedly the front runner. The demographic that votes are tween girls that wear out their texting fingers and their mothers. I think it was Hanson Yo who said to future female contestants who want to win to first of all grow a penis and I agree with his statement.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Did it seem to anyone else Taylor Hicks was ashamed at even being at the finale?

Originally Posted by Jeremiah /forum/thread/291260/american-idol-season-9/630#post_3697428

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mylan

It must be heartbreaking for the winning contestant to learn that he/she probably shouldn't have won and that article bears that out.

I doubt Lee's thinking is as confused as yours is. Why should anyone be heartbroken after winning a competition? He's living his dream, as is Crystal. She will do just as well as she would have if she had actually one- she just doesn't have the title.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that is bascially what I meant, not that voters voted for the wrong person but that the wrong voters voted for the wrong person...ok wait, now I'm confused. I read an article on Yahoo that said that A.I. voters pick the same person. Consider David Cook over David Archeletta, Kris Allen over Adam Lambert, and now Lee over Crystal, every single runner up was supposedly the front runner. The demographic that votes are tween girls that wear out their texting fingers and their mothers. I think it was Hanson Yo who said to future female contestants who want to win to first of all grow a penis and I agree with his statement.

Do Kelly and Carrie have penises? They're two of the most successful people from the show. How hung is Jennifer Hudson, who won an Oscar?

Four of the nine winners are female. That's as even as you can get unless you throw a hermaphrodite into the mix. Someone is just trying too hard to be funny, as usual.

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

Do Kelly and Carrie have penises? They're two of the most successful people from the show. How hung is Jennifer Hudson, who won an Oscar?

Four of the nine winners are female. That's as even as you can get unless you throw a hermaphrodite into the mix. Someone is just trying too hard to be funny, as usual.

Wow, it is apparent that it is attack Mylan day for you Chris, not only here but on Glee too and I don't even feel I need to explain my comments to you on either thread.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Chris, back when Kelly and Carrie won the voting demographic was much wider. It has changed dramatically in the past few years. As the show has aged and people lost interest, the voting demographic has become much, much narrower resulting in the winners we have had in the past three years.

In a discussion about how males have dominated recent wins, I fail to see how pointing to Jennifer Hudson not being a man enhances your point. First, Hudson wasn't a recent contestant. She was 6 seasons ago. And two, she didn't win. She didn't even come close (finishing 7th).

Looking back at the past three seasons, the top 4 remaining contestants have been exactly the same-- 3 guys and 1 girl. The girls just don't have much of a shot anymore because of who's voting. Unless they dramatically change the way the voting system works, it won't be any different next year. Personally, I'd like to see limited votes/texts per phone number.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

"Personally, I'd like to see limited votes/texts per phone number."

I can just hear Ryan..."After a whopping 197,000 votes were cast...."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hear you, Eric, and I would have agreed with you a few years ago. But it seems to me that Idol has been pimping the vote totals less and less as it has become painfully obvious that the number of votes is tanking. Last year, there were 88 million votes cast to determine who of the top 3 would make the finals. This year, that total was 47 million. Even if they don't limit voting next year, it could still be embarrassing to announce the vote totals.

So I'm not sure I see it as such a big deal. Besides, Dancing with the Stars limits the number of votes and they don't seem to have an issue.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Chris, back when Kelly and Carrie won the voting demographic was much wider. It has changed dramatically in the past few years. As the show has aged and people lost interest, the voting demographic has become much, much narrower resulting in the winners we have had in the past three years.

What I'd like to see is a voting demographic report by an objective source that supports this conclusion. At this point, it's just as likely people made up reasons why something they don't like is happening, and other people who don't like things accept those reasons unchallenged and pass them along. It's a reasonable conclusion, I just don't know that it's a factual one.

Anyway, if the demos are as suggested, it certainly makes the inclusion of Miley Cyrus as a mentor a move that would cater to their dominant demo.

I don't see how limiting votes will eliminate the suggested domination by a narrow demographic. I think it snowballs. The minority demographics realizes their tastes aren't represented, so they stop voting (and maybe even watching). If that has occurred, it's a difficult trend to reverse.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Don't get me wrong, I admit there's no objective data to support this hypothesis.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
drives me nuts when someone quotes without using the quote button, can't see who was quoted. Anyway how would anyone be able to tell he didn't want to be there, could he read it in his eyes.

I was too lazy to edit his long post. My original quote was from mylan post #636.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I think limiting votes to one per phone number could persuade more viewers to vote since they would know their one vote would count -- whereas now I don't vote because I figure my vote(s) would be cancelled out by fanatics voting up to hundreds of times. Limiting the voting would, at least for me, make me feel my vote counts.

Ryan would just likely drop the numbers and merely state something like "After a nationwide vote ...."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm like you, Phil. I have given up voting because I figure I can't compete with the fanatics voting hundreds if not thousands of times in the two hour window.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Wow, it is apparent that it is attack Mylan day for you Chris, not only here but on Glee too and I don't even feel I need to explain my comments to you on either thread.

Wow, it's apparent you didn't read my posts very well, because disagreeing with you is not an attack.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

In a discussion about how males have dominated recent wins, I fail to see how pointing to Jennifer Hudson not being a man enhances your point. First, Hudson wasn't a recent contestant. She was 6 seasons ago. And two, she didn't win. She didn't even come close (finishing 7th).

Looking back at the past three seasons, the top 4 remaining contestants have been exactly the same-- 3 guys and 1 girl. The girls just don't have much of a shot anymore because of who's voting. Unless they dramatically change the way the voting system works, it won't be any different next year. Personally, I'd like to see limited votes/texts per phone number.

How do you know who votes? How would the producers even know who is behind those texts and phone calls?

This should be obvious, but Hudson is female, which is pretty relevant to the claim about the show being male dominated. Unless you think her getting the role that led to the Oscar had nothing to do with being on Idol, I don't know why this is hard to understand. Someone doesn't have to win the show to benefit from it.

Why blame the voting system? You're using a victim mentality to analyze the results of the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

This should be obvious, but Hudson is female, which is pretty relevant to the claim about the show being male dominated. Unless you think her getting the role that led to the Oscar had nothing to do with being on Idol, I don't know why this is hard to understand. Someone doesn't have to win the show to benefit from it.

Why blame the voting system? You're using a victim mentality to analyze the results of the show.

BRYAN IS REFERRING TO RECENT VOTING TRENDS AMONGST THE FRONT RUNNERS. PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP JENNIFER HUDSON, WHO WAS NOT A FRONT RUNNER NOR A RECENT CONTESTANT.

I REPEAT:

BRYAN IS REFERRING TO RECENT VOTING TRENDS AMONGST THE FRONT RUNNERS. PLEASE STOP BRINGING UP JENNIFER HUDSON, WHO WAS NOT A FRONT RUNNER NOR A RECENT CONTESTANT.

Caps lock off.

Victim mentality? *shakes head*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks