What's new

American Dream Excellent New Series (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
American Dream ran a pilot (HD) followed by it's first episode (supposed to be HD - more on that later) last Sunday night. Did anyone see it? I thought it was an excellent series with perhaps limited appeal to anyone outside of the 'baby boom' generation (which I am one). It is set in 1963 Philly with American Bandstand being a central theme of the show. I believe this is to give it a semi-musical flavor and combine nostalgia with some new artists who are adept and talented at playing old standards of that era.
I noticed that the pilot (which ran 1 hour between 7-8pm) was nicely done in HD on NBC (not commonly known for its HD content). Unfortunately half of the 1st episod (running between 8-9pm) was flubbed by the Philly network(?)and picked up as HD only for roughly half of the show. Was this snafu found in other parts of the country? What did anybody think of the show? The presentation quality?
Joel

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I like the show, even though I am not part of the baby-boom generation (I'm 30). The HD picture quality is excellent. Our NBC affiliate hasn't had any snafus (such as forgetting to flip the HD switch), but both weeks there was no sound for about the first 2 or 3 minutes.

It's interesting to me that shows taking place in the 60's are almost always very serious in nature (such as American Dreams and the Wonder Years), while shows portraying my coming-of-age years (the 70's and 80's) are almost always spoofs or parodies!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I watched the first episode (the second is still on my Replay) and it is ok so far, but I really can't stand the character of the father. He is a big jerk. I think they need to write him as a more sympathetic character. He just pissed me off so bad in the first episode: trying to force his football dreams on his son, forbidding his daughter to pursue her dreams, and the worst was his treatment of his wife. She already had given birth to what? four kids? and we are supposed to feel sorry for him because she tells him she doesn't want anymore? Ugh!

Sure, he let the girl go on Bandstand by the end, but they never even gave a reason for him to not let her in the first place.

I realize that back then, maybe men had this "king of my castle" attitude about governing their families, but for a family drama he is pretty unsympathetic.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately hbo has my sundays.

but, i did catch the first ep and thought it was pretty good. maybe 'the wonder years' meets 'seventh heaven'?

anyway, pretty good show. very good production value.

btw - i thought the reason the dad was so hard on the son was because he felt that the football scholarship was just a vehicle to get his son into college? for sure the mom felt that way..she even mentioned that fact.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I was a bit turned off of the father's character at first as well. I guess he was just set up to be a leftover from the 40's and 50's (father knows best? era) who will likely go through some significant personal transformation to join the new decade's values. Philadelphia was (is?) known as a fairly conservative part of the east coast and that may be part of the deal here.

I just took an online poll on new shows and their worthiness and early indications are that this is perhaps not one of the 'popular new shows' thus far. CSI-Miami seems to be getting the dominant attention from new viewers. At least according to this poll. I hope it gets a chance to get its 'feet' and not be cancelled prematurely, so many seem to be these days. The networks have recently gotten their share of criticism for being very quick to pull the plug and not nurturing early versions of shows that may not immediately find their audience. I guess we'll see...

Joel

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I saw the first episode and thought it felt too forced. They tried to force goodness and innocence. I can't stand shows like that, it should come naturally which it does not in this case.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Any comments about the second week? I thought the father was toned down quite a bit and some interesting new plot threads were started:

- Civil Rights in the early 60's (with school integration and upcoming busing issues...)
- Class differences and parents 'guiding' their offspring to either 'move up' and not date 'lower class' potential mates.

Still hope this series makes it despite the tough time slot.

Joel

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Im pretty sure i read abc has cancelled american dream along with a couple other shows.

Edit:Well i was wrong american dream is a nbc show and is not cancelle. the abc shows axed were time travel drama "That Was Then" and quirky interactive mystery "Push, Nevada."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks