What's new

Amazon relents on Sales Tax, sets sights on Same Day Delivery instead (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My order of preference for shippers:
1. UPS. Great, up-to-date online tracking, and I know my delivery guy and my stop is one of his last, so he comes when I'm generally home (after 6:30PM). Even if they come early, they know how to get into the apartment building, and leave stuff at my front door (of my apartment, which is secure-entry, as opposed to in front of the building, which is not).
2a. USPS. Bad online tracking, especially in Los Angeles. Updates are posted hours after they're met (i.e. Out for Delivery at 10am often posts online at 3-4PM). Sometimes they're inaccurate as well. Couple of times it has said "out for delivery" and "undeliverable" and when I went to the post office the next day, they said "oh the system does that, it is probably on the truck to be delivered today" and it was. Their big upside is that they put packages in my secure mailbox.
2b. Fedex. Great online tracking, but always comes during the work day and usually requires a signature, necessitating me to have it held for pickup. On packages not requiring a signature, they'd be my solid #2 as they get into the building and deliver to my front door.
3. ONTRAC. Seems to only partner with Amazon for select western states. Fast delivery, decent online presence, had an initial problem getting into the building but that seems to be fixed. Tends to leave stuff in shared mailbox area out in the open which I don't like: yes it's behind the secure entry but there are 45 units in my building and some may be a theft risk.
4. "Amazon enterprise service" or something like that. I'm curious if this is their Amazon Fresh trucks, as the tracking number tends to be TBA#######. Also, never saw this until the Fresh service started around Los Angeles and I saw their trucks driving around the area, so that's why I think it may be them. They rarely ever bother to get into my building and just leave packages on top of the call box outside. One time I saw my package and got it. The other time it went missing and Amazon had to send me an overnight replacement.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
UPS Smartpost should be in there somewhere. UPS delivers to a local Postal Facility and USPS takes it to the house. that last step can tack on up to and additional 2-3 days for delivery.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In my recent experience, FedEx and UPS are worse in NoVA than in Rochester. Here, they run up, toss the package just barely on the stoop and run back to the truck. No knock or doorbell to tell us we have a package. But our mailbox is in the rear at the garage; we don't check the front door unless we know we have a package.

Because of this, we're starting to prefer USPS delivery.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Holy s35@#% Amazon just showed their prototype fleet of Drone copters designed for fast deliveries on 60 Minutes!!!! 5 years out or so tho!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Holy s35@#% Amazon just showed their prototype fleet of Drone copters designed for fast deliveries on 60 Minutes!!!! 5 years out or so tho!

If the government wanted, they could kill that by passing some stupid law like "automated drones can't have surveillance capability".It would have to have some form of camera and self intelligence to not land on a car...or person. Intriguing yes, but can't wait for the inevitable target practice...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Friday morning I ordered some Black Friday items off Amazon and they were in my mailbox Saturday morning. I love Amazon and that 60 Minutes piece has me loving them even more. The "wink" about streaming got me very excited.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Amazon already has the ability to to do that with AWS and Cloudfront.

They also want(like they've already done) to ask the direct consumers what they want to watch...take it away from focus groups.

But live sports is their Holy Grail. The only issues...

An already ingrained cable dynasty.
Directv/Dish for those that can't have cable.

Who does that leave(geography especially) for Amazon?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Live sports are what keep many on cable. If they are able to provide that, it is a game changer.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If Amazon could get live sports and couple that with a la carte TV channel choices (instead of the forced cable/dish packages where I watch less than 2% of the channel lineup), then I'd be all in with Amazon.

Cable companies are going to try their hardest not to let this happen. Already happening with cable sports exclusives vs. satellite companies (i.e. Pac 12 Network)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ just heard that on our news at work (ABC) while seeing the this thread off to the right on the HTF screen! Woah!

Now I want my flying car! And my amazing automated kitchen like promised in the 50s!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks