What's new

Am I the only one NOT buying TPM? (1 Viewer)

bill lopez

Second Unit
ALIEN 3 & 4, SUPERMAN 3, GODFATHER 3,STAYIN' ALIVE did leave a bad taste in my mouth but not PHANTOM MENACE.
Only because Darth Maul and the fight at the end was great.
I don't see this movie as a bad movie, a disapointment yes since we didn't learn anything new.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I won't, I've just never been a big "Star Wars" fan
eek.gif
the movies were good but they never dragged me in as much as they did lots of other people. I still haven't seen TPM
eek.gif
I'll save my cash for "Swordfish."
------------------
-Keith-

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
I have never been swept up in the hype or the excitement for anything with the name 'Star Wars' attached to it - this DVD included.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I was only a moderate fan of the movie, but I got caught up in the hype. I still think the movie delivered (although far from perfect) and have already had it pre-ordered for some time.
But this thread is for those who aren't, and that's ok.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Since you couldn't have dragged me to see Phantom Menace during it's theatrical run (and I had an opportunity to see it free), it stands to reason I'll be skipping the DVD release. The only upcoming DVD I'm excited about is Ghost World ..... and they haven't even announced it yet!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Like some others who posted in this thread, I have to say (at the risk of getting flamed) that I never understood what the fuss was all about. I didn't care for the first three movies (which I watched for the first time quite recently) and hated TPM (and I am a huge fan of serious science fiction). If I had watched the Star Wars movies for the first time as a kid, I might have liked them now for nostalgic reasons.
On 10/16, Criterion will be getting my money for The Lady Eve and Notorious.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I will get this title of course, but I'm not at all excited to rush out. It's definitely already out over here, but I will get it the next time I go out for another title! TPM alone doesn't worth the trip to the video store!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I loved the original Star Wars films, but TPM fell short as far as the story, acting, and casting went (hell, it fell short in every area). I HATED that Lucas crap of a creation called Jar Jar. What an embarrassment. Oh, well. TPM will be one of the first most anticipated DVDs I've ever said "I guess I'll just pass on this one."
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
[Edited last by Brian Harnish on October 07, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I liked the original trilogy. They had an innocence and fun aspect, even "Empire". TPM is an excuse to merchandise toys and see how far the Effex can go. "Gee, isn't that a great GGI ... I wonder how much money they spent on that sequence". Not, "Gee this movie is well acted and the story is great." Mr. Lucas doesn't know how to direct people in my opinion. But enjoy the film if you like it. Me, I'll pass and wait until the real Star Wars films arrive on DVD.
------------------

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I will be purchasing the DVD, but only so I can destroy it in my upcoming review.
Nice to see you are an unbiased reviewer who will reserve judgement until they've actually SEEN the product
rolleyes.gif

As for those of you who didn't like the movie and are therefore not buying it, atleast you're not hypocritical about it :)
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I won't be buying any SW DVDs, because the films never interested me all that much. I might give TPM a rental, just to give my SVS some work, but other than that, not interested.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
You know, It's so funny that one movie can ignite so much extreme emotions here that it creates a thread asking if people will not buy a certain DVD. You never see this happen with other high profile titles like T2:UE or Fight Club or the Toy Story Ulitmate Toy Box.
I should start a thread called "Am I the only one not buying Shrek?" After all I wasn't really that impressed with it when I saw it theatrically.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Not getting it either. Can think of hundreds of other movies I'd much rather have on my shelf.
I'm just sorry that it means the lines will be longer... when I'm there to get my Godfather set.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I already saw TPM in the theater .... oh, so long ago....
Didn't care for it then, and most certainly will not want to purchase it now. Just a lame movie with pre-teen all over it.
If my kids bug me enough, I may rent.
I'll save my money for better releases. And from what I read, it is not a title I would want to put next to a bunch of reference discs already in my rack. It's a pod race demo scene movie... period.
BOK

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Totally not buying this 2-disc set. I'm saving for another 2-disc which is probably worth my money, Shrek. I was never actually much of a SW fan anyway. Are you people who aren't buying TPM DVD Star Wars fans that are just disappointed with this film, or just like me, and don't care for the series? Just wondering. :)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a huge(obsessed,SW is life ect type) SW fan,though i do like the original trilogy. Not the SE's!!!
I didn't like TPM & will not be buying it. I'm not sure about the the trilogy either,unless the original are at least released along with the SE's. So we can choose which version to watch. Though i doubt that'll happen
frown.gif

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm on the fence with this one. I saw it a second time in a theater to confirm what I'd felt on my initial viewing: The first half is quite astonishing special-effects-wise (except that Lucas never holds a shot of, say, a city panorama long enough for you to digest it). But, after the speeder chase, everything just goes down the tubes. The cross-cutting during the several simultaneous climaxes doesn't help to inspire me - the droid army I felt was about as anticlimactic as a fart after a volcanic explosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks