What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Allan Quatermain / King Solomon's Mines... reviews? (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Even after searching the forum and browsing the usual DVD sites, I haven't been able to find anything about MGM's recent Allan Quatermain & The Lost City Of Gold and King Solomon's Mines DVDs.

I'd be very interested to read some opinions not only of the transfers and sound, but also of the content... I haven't seen these in a LONG time.

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
MGM doesn't send out catalog titles to review publications & sites unless it's a major title or a Special Edition.

I have mine on order from Deepdiscount and am curious to see them again after so many years. KING SOLOMON'S MINES was campy and entertaining, but I recall ALLAN QUARTERMAIN to be utterly boring, a total waste of time. We'll see.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Important note (for those with widescreen TVs):

King Solomon's Mines is letterboxed but is not 16:9 enhanced.

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold is letterboxed and is 16:9 enhanced.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Alan's right -- KING SOLOMON'S is NOT 16:9. ALLAN QUARTERMAIN, for whatever reason, *is*.

So they took the worse movie and gave it the anamorphic treatment -- what's up with that? (Right, it IS MGM....)

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
After recieving the 2 movies yesterday and realising that King Solomon's mines wasn't anamorphic,I checked out a few sites to see what they said about the region 2 discs that were released in the uk,also by MGM,the day before the region 1 versions and surprise surprise,THEY'RE BOTH ANAMORPHIC!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Sure it does. But those titles often must be requested, and the studio grants those requests depending on who's asking.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

That's what I was trying to say. They rarely ever will do a "mass mailing" of a catalog title unless it's a Special Edition. Of course if you've got studio contacts you can get ahold of anything (which is what I've learned from my own experience).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks