ALL THINGS 'GODZILLA' ON DVD AND BLU-RAY!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeffT., Feb 22, 2013.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Classic Media was purchased by Dreamworks Animation a couple years ago (IE: not long after Criterion did their release of Godzilla) so that may be why their licenses appear to be in limbo at the moment.

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Which one did you look at? Not sure about others, but on Destoroyah the subtitles do seem to be a different translation from the dub (I don't understand Japanese, so I'm not sure how accurate it is). However, on the English dub, the dialogue seems to be mixed significantly lower than the music and FX, to the point of being drowned out at spots. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my system perhaps?

On King Ghidorah and Mothra, the credits aren't there, but on Mothra, the black continues for another two minutes after the picture fades out before going back to the menu. They could have at least kept the music going, since Ifukube's end title is so haunting. Weird decision.

Seems to be a mix of good and odd decisions with these releases.

sleroi likes this.
  3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    It looks like the OOP Echo Bridge Blu-ray release of Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) is getting re-released by Lionsgate on 10/7/14 (as part of the previously licensed Miramax > Echo Bridge titles now going to Lionsgate).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00LVZK1LG

4. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

So am I just smoking crack or does Amazon not have the non-3D version of Godzilla listed? I only see the DVD and the 3D versions - but no bog standard Blu.

5. Tony J Case

Shameless promotion so I can get a entry to win a set of DVDs. :)

Oh, as so not to be completely self serving, check out this trailer for the new Godzilla game coming for the PS3:

The narrator:

6. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

They should make that into a movie!

I was able to secure a recent bluray disc pressing of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) distributed by Tokyo Shock which I will use for viewing and save the withdrawn (or outlawed) first edition (which is unopened) as a collector's item (which is what it now become).

The following (modest) Godzilla Snickers tv commercial isn't as awesome as Tony's Playstation ad but it is still Godzilla nonetheless:

Jeff T.

:D

7. Tony J Case

Picked up G2K yesterday (the other two will have to wait until next week) and quickly compared it to my old DVD, in terms of extras. The commentary appears to be the same, along with the Behind the Scenes footage. We lose some text bio stuff - fine, since it was pretty naff Wikipedia text anyway and the trailers, also fine since we got Anaconda, Godzilla In Name Only and the american G2K trailer. We do, however gain the original Japanese trailer.

Of all the extras we lost, the american G2k Trailer makes me the saddest. It was kind of cool to compare and contrast the two marketing schemes. Although it was sporting some kind of Rob Zombie soundtrack, so I could see why it had to go. Marketing budget wouldn't allow for it, I bet.

Haven't watched the Japanese version yet - I'll save that for October and the Halloween Marathon.

8. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Around the time I wrote the above question in May (which Randy Korstick kindly answered in the negative), this Blu-ray of the film came out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-Hedorah-Blu-ray/dp/B00I462XNO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1415898028&sr=1-1&keywords=godzilla+vs.+the+smog+monster

When Korstick said the new ones don't have the AIP dub with "Save the Earth," I'm assuming he meant this release also. Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thanks.

9. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    I *thought* these were verified as simply being rehashes of the Sony releases which means international dubs. AIP dubs require additional clearance time with Toho and expense, which implies that they would be advertised as a selling point.

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Toho's famous for not playing ball when it comes to the AIP dubs (IIRC it was one of the reasons that Destroy All Monsters got recalled).

11. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    The only 3 that I haven't bought in BD are:G vs HedorahG vs GiganG vs The Sea MonsterI have them on SD when they last released them. Should I buy these in BD or keep my SDs???

12. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Its up to you, read the reviews see what you think.. the BDs are very cheap. Personally I wasnt blown away by the HD quality but they are serviceable. They are higher resolution, the discs are sturdier and take up less space on the shelf :)

13. Tony J Case

14. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Thank you for your conscientious devotion to your fellow Godzilla fans Tony.

I've noticed that Lion's Gate has issued GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989) on blu-ray.

Just how does this differ from the (now) discontinued Miramax blu-ray release (which I bought when it first came out)?

Should I get the Lion's Gate edition too?

Thank you and keep up the fine work!

Jeff T.

:D

15. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Others may have to confirm, but from what I understand the Lionsgate release is essentially the same as the corrected Echo Bridge release. The original EB had a flaw in the 5.1 track (the left surround channel was silent) that was corrected in later pressings.

16. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

I'd better watch mine again during the holidays. I (honestly) don't know whether I have a flawed one or not. It was pre-ordered before the actual release.

Thank you for the informative response my friend!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

17. Tony J Case

Hang on - let me get my copy off the shelf. . . .

Special features include Making of G vs Biolante and Behind the Design (I also seem to recall the trailer on here, but it's not listed on the back), the audio is 5.1 and 2.0 Japanese and 1.0 English, it comes with English subs, subtitle track for the English dub, and sub track for the on-screen text and signs and it's 16x9 with a run time of 104m.

Mind you, I dont have the older release to compare the two, so you'll have do some legwork of your own. . . .

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  19. Tony J Case

20. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I recently watched my Blu-rays of GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (1992, aka GODZILLA AND MOTHRA: THE BATTLE FOR EARTH) and REBIRTH OF MOTHRA (1996) and was very pleased with them. My previous copy of the 1992 film, on DVD, was pan-and-scan and English dub only. I actually preferred my old VHS fan-sub to that.

I also watched the original MOTHRA (1961) on DVD (from the Icons of Sci-Fi set). That would be awesome on Blu-ray, too. I watched the original Japanese version (really, the only one to watch) and was surprised to realize how many westerners are in it and how much English is spoken on the soundtrack--by multiple characters and in sync-sound. I'd seen the film many times before, but usually in its English dub where this wouldn't be as noticeable. I would argue that the '61 MOTHRA has more westerners and more English spoken than any other Toho monster picture. It's still the best Mothra movie, if you ask me.