What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

All of David Lean on BD - But When? (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Either Criterion or their ersatz budget line Eclipse needs to do a David Lean Directs Ann Todd set, so we can finally have all of Lean's films on DVD in region 1.

Ah-Ha !!!
Another vote for Region 1.:wave-hello:

P.S. Great idea on Eclipse.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Ah-Ha !!!
Another vote for Region 1.:wave-hello:

P.S. Great idea on Eclipse.

I should add that I've already bought the UK releases of all three, because I didn't feel like waiting for a US release any longer.

Additionally, I picked up the Network edition of This Happy Breed so I could get the two South Bank Shows on DL, since those haven't yet been made available here, either.

Reactions: PMF

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I don't live in the US, so region A availability doesn't impact me as it does the majority of members here.

However, I'm fully in favour of a Lean box-set or two on Blu, and think Sean's idea of 'Lean directs his Ex' is wonderful. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Highest respects to all involved in this discussion. I think we're all on the same page here, in more ways than one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The "demand" for Zone 1 was not intended to be solely about me.
Even with a Zone-Free player in my possession, I would still hope that the films currently available in other countries would also be made available for an entire populace, who will continue to live in a Zone One world.
Nonetheless; as cited in Post #10; I found it disheartening to learn that Americans weren't interested in buying discs, at all.

We have never met and for that we are, regretfully, both at a disadvantage. The written word lacks the benefit of having before us our facial expressions and the inflections of our verbal delivery. Were these two elements available to us, you would see and hear that "lecture" was not within the intended delivery. If anything, I was rallying a cheer and a support for us all, at HTF, who have kept this love of film alive.

Believe it or not, we are on the same page.
And how do I know this?
Because we both believe that "Ryan's Daughter" is an underappreciated masterpiece.:)

Party of the trilogy.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Party of the trilogy.
Meaning Sand, Snow and Surf?
Or Hot, Cold and Wet?
Either way, I believe that "Lawrence of Arabia, "Doctor Zhivago" and "Ryan's Daughter" are formally known as Lean and Young's "Elements" trilogy.
Would I be correct?

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Hmmmmmm...

The Posts of Allanfiresbird, RMajidi and RAH's recent "MFL [Take Two]" entry has given me an extended idea.
How about a boxed set from Criterion's Eclipse series entitled: "Edited by David Lean"
Let us all further delve and expand this David Lean thread unto even newer directions and insights.

Inclusive of "Pygmalion", what other films edited by David Lean would you like to see released in a BD Boxed set?

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
How about a boxed set from Criterion's Eclipse series entitled: "Edited by David Lean"... Inclusive of "Pygmalion", what other films edited by David Lean would you like to see released in a BD Boxed set?

If there is to be an 'Edited by David Lean' boxset, and I'm not saying that there ever will be, then how about including his collaborations as editor with those remarkable filmmakers, The Archers:

One of Our Aircraft Is Missing
49th Parallel

...the latter photographed by a certain Freddie Young.

And if the set is to include Pygmalion, then why not also throw in that other George Bernard Shaw / Wendy Hiller vehicle, Major Barbara.

Come to think of it, where is a Powell & Pressburger Blu-ray boxset?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Brilliant package; potent and prime.
A perfect offering of 4.:thumbs-up-smiley:

RMajidi's suggested Boxed Set should be entitled: "Lean Archers and Major Aircrafts".

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Or, if we eliminated "Major Barbara" for a future set and made it into a BD offering of 3 films, the working title could be...

Edited by David Lean - Volume One: "Powell, Pressburger and "Pygmalion".
And the shrink wrapped box could have a round blue Criterion sticker that reads:
"Pronounced & Phonetically Approved by Henry & Eliza".:)
Heck, even the Spine could have the designated number of "49", if you catch my drift.;)

Love the Ann Todd idea from Allensfirebird, as well.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Yup, "All of David Lean on BD" is the name of this thread; and the literal ALL would have to be inclusive of his days as Editor.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I bought the UK BD of "Great Expectations".
I tend to Lean towards Allansfirebird's sentiments; as I, too, just simply didn't like waiting around for a US release, either.
As long as the discs are legal and legitimate, I'll order from anywhere on the planet.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Yawnnn...PMF doin' his thing and spamming this forum as usual
R2DpYjH.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. Let's not.

Let's stay on this very interesting topic instead.

Any personal attacks on other members will not be tolerated.

Conduct

10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I am in favor of another Criterion box for David Lean, as well as Ryan's Daughter released by Warner's on blu ray which should have been released yesterday, use Dolby Atmos for the sound, that storm sequence especially. Now after the Lean Coward box, I was hoping the Dickens films next, but still nothing. The Ann Todd box is also a great idea. Any way I can get his entire directorial body of work would be great. Dont know why the lagging behind on this, he is director, like Kubrick, who needs all of his films out there to be appreciated.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I am in favor of another Criterion box for David Lean, as well as Ryan's Daughter released by Warner's on blu ray which should have been released yesterday
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What was that?
Are you saying that "Ryan's Daughter" is so overdue that it should have been released "yesterday", in term of euphemisms? Or do you mean that "RD" was literally due to be out on May 25th?

Last edited:

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What was that?
Are you saying that "Ryan's Daughter" is so overdue that it should have been released "yesterday", in term of euphemisms? Or do you mean that "RD" was literally due to be out on May 25th?
I ment in terms of euphemisms. Its long overdue

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am in favor of another Criterion box for David Lean, as well as Ryan's Daughter released by Warner's on blu ray which should have been released yesterday, use Dolby Atmos for the sound, that storm sequence especially. Now after the Lean Coward box, I was hoping the Dickens films next, but still nothing. The Ann Todd box is also a great idea. Any way I can get his entire directorial body of work would be great. Dont know why the lagging behind on this, he is director, like Kubrick, who needs all of his films out there to be appreciated.
If we're going for a second Criterion box set of Lean's films, might as well wrap up the remaining holdings Criterion apparently has and include SUMMERTIME and HOBSON'S CHOICE. Only half of the set would be Dickens, but it would pretty much close out the titles Criterion apparently has licensing for.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
If we're going for a second Criterion box set of Lean's films, might as well wrap up the remaining holdings Criterion apparently has and include SUMMERTIME and HOBSON'S CHOICE. Only half of the set would be Dickens, but it would pretty much close out the titles Criterion apparently has licensing for.
That would good. A David Lean box set. They had the Dickens films as well as Hobson's Choice and Summertime on DVD so why not release them on Blu Ray. They released Hobson's on DVD at the time Blu Ray was becoming popular, and they started issuing blu ray discs.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Brian,
You can go to my other thread entitled: "Any 2015 News on Ryan's Daughter"?
On Page 10 there is a Voting Campaign on Posts #192, 193, 194, expressing to WAC our collective interests in having a BD released; to which we hope will be inclusive of the film's original 70mm Aspect Ratio, 6-track Sound Design and even a 4K disc.
And you're right. Its long overdue.

NOTE:
Of the other HTF members who already knows about the other thread and the aforementioned campaign, I promise not to refer to it further. My reasons for creating this thread was to go beyond "RD" and delve further into "ALL of David Lean on BD".
Thanks,
PMF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks