What's new

Alexander Nevsky - source of term "torch song"? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was wondering if the expression "torch song" and perhaps "carrying a torch" came from the film Alexander Nevsky. After the battle on the ice, Olga goes looking for her beaux at twilight literally carrying a torch. What she sings is a torch song in both senses of the expression. Is this the source of the expression? Frustrated etymologists want to know.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...according to my Collins English Dictionary - Millennium Edition - the expression torch song ("a sentimental or romantic popular song, usually sung by a woman") comes from the phrase "to carry a torch for (someone)"...
...what the lady in Aleksander Nevsky sings, however, is hardly that - in the specific context of that film it's a dirge: a chant of lamentation for the dead...
. . .
redface.gif
. . .

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I don't know about that Hendrik. The lyrics of "The Field of the Dead" are a "sentimental song about unrequited love" which is one definition of a torch song:
"Whoever died a good death for Russia
I shall kiss upon his dead eyes
And to that young man who remained alive
I shal be a faithful wife, a loving spouse
I shall not marry a handsome man
earthly beauty comes to an end
But I shall wed a brave man
Cry out in answer, bright falcons!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks