What's new

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams - anyone own? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I came across this DVD in BestBuy the other day and thought I'd try to find a review or opinion about it on the forum. Has anyone seen this DVD? Is it worth a purchase or a pass?

This is the description on the case:
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is one of the most visionary, deeply personal works in the 60-year career of the master behind Rashomon, The Seven Samurai and Ran. Comprised of eight episodes rich in imagery and insight (and featuring Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh), it explores the costs of war, the perils of nuclear power and especially humankind's need to harmonize with nature. You will be enchanted. . . and enthralled

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's a decent transfer, but not one of my favorite Kurosawa films by a long shot. If you're looking to get into Kurosawa, then look elsewhere first (Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, etc.). To describe "Dreams" as visionary is overstating it by a mile. It's a very minor work.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I agree its one of the least of his works.Its beautifully filmed, but its not a movie that really is supposed to make sense. Its supposed to be like a dream.

To me, The Tunnel is the best story of the lot.

I have 2 copies (my g/f bought me one not realizing I already had it) and would gladly give it to u if u really want to see it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I agree its one of the least of his works.Its beautifully filmed, but its not a movie that really is supposed to make sense. Its supposed to be like a dream.
While it's also my least favorite of Kurosawa's movies, I don't agree that it doesn't make sense (or isn't supposed to). In fact, it's so on-the-nose and belabored in the issues it explores, at least in it's least effective vignettes, that it comes off like the sophomoric and self-indulgent ramblings of a particularly earnest and youthful dilletante.

If this in fact represents what Kurosawa's dreams are actually like, then he dreams in a very structured, easily decipherable, and rather politically-correct way. The worst of these vignettes (more like parables than dreams) are outright pedantry, indeed very nearly preachy in tone. I'm quite sure he's sincere in his views (which are primarily ecological in theme, man's relation to nature, etc.), but the simple-minded sentimentalism he brings to his subjects is never very compelling and usually just boring. Kurosawa was never much of a surrealist, and fortunately only in "Dreams" and "Dodes'kaden" did he really attempt to be so. But if surrealism is what you're looking for, try Bunuel, Lynch, Vigo, Ruiz...

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Get the Japanese version. It's R0 and comes in a nice keepcase to boot.

And I happen to love the film. A tad hamhanded at times and certainly not a top jewel in the Kurosawa crown, but it's a lot better than what its reputation has engendered.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen the DVD, but I've seen the film, and it's one of only a handful I'd describe as nearly rapturous. I've seen a number of Kurosawa's pictures, and this is my secondmost favorite (after High and Low, a very different picture in a less-than-stellar non-anamorphic DVD, I'm afraid). You can't approach this film with what Roger Ebert most laments about today's world: irony. You can't expect sharp, hard edges and obvious intellectualism, nor a strong directorial comment on what unfolds. It's a simple, beautiful, pure piece of short-form storytelling in a long form confluence of theme -- a cinematic fairy tale with such an eye for both beauty and horror that it dazzles the adult heart. The uncertainty of the human spirit amidst nevertheless hopeful endurance is its core. Wrap yourself around that uncritically and perhaps you'll find yourself moved to tears, as was I.

For those who are modernists through and through and find the painterly ease and soft storytelling focus of Kurosawa's work here off-putting, there's some value in ...

seeing Martin Scorsese as Vincent Van Gogh

... however the rest of the film plays. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks