What's new

Airblown spider blowing fuses (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Eric, well I can presume that spider is modelled after a tarantula, since most fake spiders are. FYI, tarantulas do not spin webs to catch food. They will spin webs for reproduction purposes, like to make what's called a sperm web. But only true spiders use webs to hunt.

So, if some 12 year old kid comes up to you and says Hey, Mister, why does that tarantula have a web? You can say that it's just for effect. :)

Jay

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It's also been recently discovered that tarantulas produce silk from their feet to make them sticky so they can climb vertical surfaces. Very Cool.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
BrianW, got a link?

Besides having the last metatarsal being like a pinched claw, they do have super tiny hair that lets them climb up glass. I know when I have my little guy running around me, I can really feel their 'pinch' when they're near or at vertical. It's pretty strong!!

Jay

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Here you go, Jay. Tarsal silk isn't common. But I'd wager that it was a spider capable of producing tarsal silk that bit Spider Man. Lucky for him, too. Otherwise, he'd have silk coming out of his butt.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Cool, thanks for the link Brian. I have noticed when I handle my tarantula, that it does leave a trail of silk, kind of like a belayed rock climber and I know that true spiders if you pluck them off yourself, they typically don't go flying too far before they are climbing back up to your hand.

I love spiders.. especially tarantulas and jumping spiders!

jay

Colton

Supporting Actor
Eric -

I got a KILLER IDEA for your next Halloween. Your house is perfect for a MONSTER HOUSE decoration:

The eyes would be easy enough. Perhaps put a red tint on the windows and some cut-out eyes.

The teeth can be made from particle board or something sturdy. Add some blood to the teeth for a creepy effect.

A red carpet for the stairs to imitate a tongue. Maybe cut the end like a forked tongue to make it look scary.

Set up some speakers near the front door with a microphone. When kids get closer you can say, "COME CLOSER!"

This is how our house would look ...

- Colton

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Cool pic Colton! My kids are gonna love it!

It is actually something I considered at one time. I had looked all over for some neon 'eyes', especially angry ones, for the cupola windows. Came up empty unless I wanted to spend $600 for custom ones. I never considered teeth. THAT is a nice touch. That is a concrete beam spanning the columns - not sure how I could suspend them. Then again - there is also the 16 foot drop to the TOP of the staircase for my weak knees to consider...

BTW - I LOVE the tongue your home has. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks