Air Conditioner Unit: Vent Open or Closed??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micheal, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My Brother has an air conditioner that sits in the window of his apartment. He called me tonight and asked me if the vent should be set to open or closed. I have no idea?

I was thinking that if it is really hot and humid outside that he should set it to closed.

Any ideas?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I believe that is like the recirculated air in your car. Open means you get outside air, closed means you get inside air.

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Thanks. I looked it up and it seems that I had the right idea. If you want it to be a cold as possible, keep the vent closed. [​IMG]

(Unless you are using it in during the Winter) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks Philip

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

sounds like you got it. On my old unit the vent was a small trap door that sucked air in, but didn't draw ALL the cooled air from outside, just added some fresh air to the output. [​IMG]

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Usually the idea setting is half open/half closed for recirc/outside air. This maintains a good balance of new air but also keeps the unit from working too hard.

This was from a friend who used to design HVAC systems for large buildings; they tried to keep their mixing boxes so they would pull half/half. It also works really well in cars, provided you have a mixing control instead of just one button.

6. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Well, a central unit draws all of its aire from inside and recirculates it. I'd think this would be more efficient for a widow unit as well. The unit would be cooling already cooled air instead of the hot outside air. I believe the vent should be open only if the unit is being used as a fan only and not cooling.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

9. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My brother tried it out, it blows colder with the vent closed. He has a separate knob for "fan" & "cool".

He has now found that having the vent closed produces cooler air. (With the other knob set to "cool" of course)

Thanks again guys!