What's new
World Wide Stereo

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Today were jumping into the Air Audio Services AC-2K Balanced Mains Transformer. Air Audio is a small and unassuming manufacturing and distribution outfit located not far from the City of Oxford in the UK, and run by long-time high-end audio guru Michael Osborn. While specializing in the sell-through of extreme-performance cartridges and cables, the team also turn their hand to the design and fabrication of audio accessories and components. Seasoned two-channel audiophiles might be familiar with Osborn’s name as chief engineer of the Astin Trew audio separates brand, the company he founded in 2003.

Continue reading...

728x90

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks Martin. I share your general cynicism for this product category so an objective review from someone I can trust is much appreciated. I did have trouble deducing the US price for the standalone version from your comments but, based on the UK price, I think I would have to file this in the "nice to have" category for the foreseeable future.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Thanks, John. The standalone AC-2K is actually GBP £50 cheaper at £1249, but I assumed most readers here would be interested in the rack mount product. I also completely understand your 'nice to have' reasoning. The unit is not cheap and I toyed with knocking off half a star as a result (the price sounds worse in USD than GBP). I'm a sceptic and wanted not to like it, but the sonic improvements just couldn't be ignored. In some ways I think this type of noise floor reducing product has even more relevance in our multi-channel world than the two-channel world.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Many thanks for this review. I too am sceptical about most companies peddling "magic" solutions to fairly small problems. I did however thirty or so years ago investigate what benefits a cleaner electricity supply could bring to my hi-fi system and was quickly persuaded. (In those days I was a "golden ears" and could easily hear subtle differences)

Before investing is this product however, I would like to know how it compares with P S Audio's power regenerators. Have you ever sampled any of those much admired products?

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Before investing is this product however, I would like to know how it compares with P S Audio's power regenerators. Have you ever sampled any of those much admired products?

Thanks, Robin. Although I was aware of PS, I haven't sampled them, and other than simply using a variety of surge protectors and power conditioners over the years, this is my first attempt at reviewing a more 'serious', performance-based product.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks, Robin. Although I was aware of PS, I haven't sampled them, and other than simply using a variety of surge protectors and power conditioners over the years, this is my first attempt at reviewing a more 'serious', performance-based product.
If you ever get a chance to test one of them, seize the opportunity! In fact, if you contact them, they may well send you one for a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks