What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Okay guys, you asked for it (this will be edited constantly because I tend to forget names). These are groups and singers I generally listen to:
FEMALE POP/R&B/HIP-HOP/SOUL/etc. SOLOS or SOLO-LEAD OF GROUP
(last name, first name)
-----------------------
Amuro Namie [pop/dance] (prod. by Tetsuya "TK" Komuro)
Misia [r&b/soul]
Utada Hikaru [pop/r&b]
Kuraki Mai [pop]
Koyanagi Yuki [r&b/soul/pop]
Sugar Soul [hip-hop/r&b]
Aiuchi Rina [pop]
Ohguro Maki [pop] (retired)
move [techno/rave/pop] (female lead) (prod. by t.kimura)
TRF [pop/techno] (female lead) (formerly prod. by TK)
Kahala Tomomi [pop] (formerly prod. by TK)
Kiss Destination [pop/hip-hop/r&b] (female lead) (prod. by TK)
globe [pop/pop rock/rock/funk] (female lead) (prod. by TK)
Suzuki Ami [pop] (prod. by TK)
Tohko [pop] (formerly prod. by TK)
Kiroro [ballad/pop] (duo)
RK Standard [ballad/pop] (various females) (prod. by Ryuichi Kawamura)
Hamasaki Ayumi [pop]
Tina [r&b/soul]
1650 B'way [r&b/hip-hop] (duo)
Fayray [pop] (formerly prod. by Daisuke Asakura)
Kimura Yuki [pop] (prod. by Daisuke Asakura)
Imai Eriko [pop] (formerly of Speed)
hiro [pop] (formerly of Speed)
Uehara Takako [pop] (formerly of Speed) (prod. by Ryuichi Kawamura)
Sasaki Yuko [pop]
Auga Yaya [pop] (retired)
Every Little Thing [pop]
Favorite Blue [pop] (prod. by t.kimura)
Chinen Rina [pop]
Olivia [pop] (former lead singer to D&D)
m-flo [r&b/hip-hop] (female lead)
Two-Mix [pop/techno] (female lead duo)
Romantic Mode [pop] (retired)
Komatsu Miho [pop/ballad]
Hamada Mari [pop]
Imai Miki [pop/ballad] (From "Pride" on are really great and the old song "Piece of My Wish")
Nakayama Miho [pop] (pre 97 are her best)
Fukada Kyoko [pop]
Hattan Amika [pop]
HIM [pop/dance] (group) (retired)
Matsutoya Yumi [pop/ballad]
Le Couple [ballad] (female lead duo)
Takeuchi Mariya [folk/pop]
Puffy [idol pop] (duo)
[more to list...]
MALE POP/R&B/HIP-HOP/SOUL/etc. SOLOS or SOLO-LEAD OF GROUP
(last name, first name)
----------------------
Fujii Fumiya [pop/ballad] (lead singer of Checkers, a 9-person all-male boy band, grouped with his brother again to form F-Blood in 1998 for one year and again this year, 2001)
Kawamura Ryuichi [pop/pop rock] (lead singer to Luna Sea)
T.M.Revolution [pop] (prod. by Daisuke Asakura)
Kinki Kids [pop/pop rock]
pool bit boys [pop] (prod. by Daisuke Asakura)
Access [pop] (retired) (duo) (Daisuke Asakura's former group)
Iceman [pop/techno] (group) (Daisuke Asakura's current group)
T.M. Network [pop/pop rock] (group) (T.K.'s original group he was in and still is)
Hotei Tomoyasu [pop] (formerly of bo0wy)
Kome Kome Club [pop/funk] (group) (retired)
Ishii Tatuya [pop/funk] (formerly lead singer to Kome Kome Club)
Southern All Stars [ballad/pop]
Fujiyama Masaharu [pop]
Hamada Shogo [pop]
Makihara Noriyuki [pop]
Oda Kazumasa [ballad/pop]
The Boom [enka pop rock]
Dragon Ash [hip-hop] (formerly a punk rock band turned hip-hop)
Denki Groove [funk/pop/etc.]
Chage & Aska [pop/ballad] (duo)
[more to list...]
FEMALE POP GROUPS (All-Females)
-------------------------------
Morning Musume [idol pop]
Say a Little Prayer [pop rock] (retired) (prod. by Ryuichi Kawamura)
MAX [pop]
Trinity [pop]
AN-J [pop]
Speed [pop] (retired)
dream [pop/eurobeat]
Earth [pop/r&b]
D&D [pop/eurobeat] (retired)
[more to list...]
MALE POP GROUPS (All-Males)
---------------------------
Da Pump [hip-hop/pop]
V6 [pop]
Arashi [pop]
Yaen [funk/pop/etc.] (11 guys, from 28-40 y.o males)
[more to list...]
FEMALE LEAD SINGER (Solo or Group) FOR ROCK BAND
------------------------------------------------
Aikawa Nanase [rock] (solo)
KIX-S [rock] (retired)
Manish [rock] (retired)
Garnet Crow [pop rock] (female lead, sounds like Suzanne Vega)
Do As Infinity [rock/pop rock] (female lead)
My Little Lover [rock/pop rock] (prod. by Takeshi Kobayashi)
Hysteric Blue [rock]
the brilliant green [rock]
[more to list...]
MALE LEAD SINGER (Solo or Group) FOR ROCK BAND
----------------------------------------------
L'Arc~en~Ciel [visual rock/rock]
Glay [visual rock/rock]
X (or X-Japan) [visual rock/rock] (retired)
Wands [rock/pop rock] (retired)
Baiser [visual rock] (retired)
Shazna [visual pop rock]
Siam Shade [rock/hard rock]
Penicillin [hard rock]
Kuroyume [hard rock]
Dir en grey [visual rock]
Luna Sea [visual rock/rock] (retired)
Fanatic Crisis [visual rock/rock]
La'chryma Christi [visual rock]
Malice Mizer [visual rock]
Gackt [visual rock/rock] (solo, used to be lead singer for Malice Mizer)
Hakuei [rock/pop rock] (lead singer to Penicillin, sometimes does solos)
Chisato [rock/hard rock] (lead guitarist to Penicillin, sometimes does solos)
Mr. Children [rock/pop rock] (prod. by Takeshi Kobayashi)
D-Shade [rock]
Lucifer [visual rock/rock]
blue [visual rock/rock]
Rouage [visual rock/rock]
Eins Vier [visual rock/rock]
Lareine [visual rock]
DEEN [pop rock]
Field of View [pop rock]
The Yellow Monkey [rock/hard rock]
T-Bolan [rock] (retired)
B'z [rock]
Ulfuls [rock]
[more to list...]
----------
There are more...I gotta go back home to take a look at what I have. I am missing groups and singers... Hmm....
More to come...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ok grr, the second volume of Nadia doesn't come out until August! This is a real bummer. That is so long to wait between discs.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to start up on Vision of Escaflowne now as well.
Now that BGC2040 and Evangelion are complete, I can start up two new series...which will be Nadia/Escaflowne. So, that makes series that I have started: Gasaraki (3 disks left), Gundam Wing (3 disks left), Nadia (9 disks left), Vision of Escaflowne (8 disks left).
Once Gasaraki and Gundam are done, I'm not sure what I should start up. I was thinking of getting some of the boxsets that I've passed on before (Tenchi OVA, Rayearth 1 and 2, Record of Lodoss War TV).
Just as a little side question, why did they change the name of Vision of Escaflowne to just Escaflowne for the DVD release?
Nadia will eventually be released in Japan starting late August for individual volumes, 10 volumes all together. The boxset for Nadia in region 2 comes out in end of October, and it's gonna be grand! I think ADV is a couple of months ahead of the R2 release but the boxset is gonna be so gorgeous, there's no way ADV can beat out Japan's presentation of their boxsets. :) Anyhoo, I feel your sympathy. I have already watched Nadia twice in my anime club (when it first came out as bootleg tapes in 1990 and again in 1996 (I believe).
The name change to Escaflowne for the DVD is really simple. Most fans don't call it "Visions of Escaflowne", they just call it "Escaflowne" or "Esca" for short. So, Bandai caters to the name, rather than the actual title. But the Japanese name is "tenkuu no Escaflowne" (Escaflowne of the Skies). It is just easier to say it by the name that made the series popular. :)
You have so many series to watch. I have a few I need to finish so I can prep for this upcoming expo (me be a staffer...gotta be knowledgeable and up-to-date on things). Are you coming to our Anime Expo 2001 this year, Andy? I know Joe is. Is anyone else coming to our Anime Expo 2001 at the Long Beach Convention Center this July 4th weekend (July 5-7) in California?

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I would love to come down there for an Anime Expo, but there's no way I'd be able to. Money being the primary reason, plus I already am taking two weeks off work starting this Thursday. Maybe next year though :)
I can't wait to pick up Escaflowne though! I've seen the whole show, but since I watched it on TV it was only the dub, and that horribly edited/sliced up first episode "scandel".
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Are you coming to our Anime Expo 2001 this year, Andy? I know Joe is. Is anyone else coming to our Anime Expo 2001 at the Long Beach Convention Center this July 4th weekend (July 5-7) in California?
Of course I'm going to be there! I even got one of my friends to go with me. She really only likes Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've been trying to get her to watch more anime but she seriously has some kind of sleep disorder. She falls asleep within ten minutes of whatever movie, anime or otherwise, that I put on for her.
I just got the new issue of Animerica, and in it it said that the top 3 best selling animes over in Japan were, in this order, Gundam Wing: The Movie 3, Gundam Wing: The Movie 2, and Gundam Wing: The Movie.
I'm pretty sure that Endless Waltz was the first movie, but what are the other two, and when will they be released over here? FWIW, I've been abstaining from watching Endless Waltz until after the series is over. After spending this much money on a 10 disc series, I don't want ANYTHING spoiled for me.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Kong,
That is one hell of a list you got there. Is there any way you could shrink it down just a bit? :) I don't think I could afford even a fraction of those artists. Could you, and even Jeff, shrink it down to maybe two or three of your favorite artists?
On a personal note, I was unable to buy any of the J-Pop I wanted from my local anime store because I got there THREE minutes after they closed!! If the owner was there he would have let me in, but from the looks of it as soon as 7pm rolled around he hauled ass out of there. Oh well.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I think the 3 Gundam Wing movies just refers to the fact that originally it was a 3 part OVA. Later it was spliced together into a full movie. Endless Waltz contains both the movie and the 3 part OVA.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me like a logical guess.
**Do not watch Endless Waltz before seeing the entire show first!!**
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
You have to remember, Joe, when we think of movies, we think something along the lines of 70min to 3 hours makes up a movie. In Japan, if it showcased in a movie theater, it is a movie...so the length doesn't matter, so even a 30min anime is considered a movie, and it is usually put together with another anime movie to make a longer run. That's how it is normally done. So, if you have three short anime movies, you put them together to make one long anime movie watching. :)
I'll try to shrink some down for ya.
KC

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Just finished Bastard!! last night.... was real nice to see that again after so long, though there are some quibbles with Pioneer's presentation (which will be sounded off in a review this weekend to be sure).
To toss in a jpop artist, I must admit to being really into Ayumi Hamasaki lately. I just love the whole feel of her voice and music. I occasionally take a break and listen to some X-Japan as well
wink.gif

------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
For those living in the Northern NJ/ NYC area, channel 63 (WMBC) shows Japanese programming every night from 10-11pm. On Monday night it's Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ, where the current top acts show up for interviews and performances (Top Of The Pops type of thing). (Note that they often show 10 minutes of news first.) You can catch Hamasaki Ayumi, Amuro Namie, Glay, and all the other big groups, as well as others you likely won't know yet. (It's fun to see the flavor-of-the-week cute teenager act that can't carry a tune or dance!
wink.gif
) It's only in Japanese, but of course that's not an issue for the performances. Definitely worth watching for all you J-Pop fans!
I had a great stroke of luck last fall, when I was in HK on business and had the opportunity to see Luna Sea on their farewell tour. AWESOME!!!!! Now I just wish Glay would do a US tour. . .
Also while in HK, I scored a huge stack of VCD's of all my favorite J-Rockers. (Mostly visual rock.) MUCH cheaper than the DVD's, which were all region 2 or 3 anyway.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
^^^ Bumping Up ^^^
Okay, I will first try all the TK Family Products if you want to listen to ultra-pop pop J-pop. Then you can work you way and branch out to other singers. :)
As for DVD, anyone get Eva 0:8 yet? I need to finish this collection and showcase it to my friend.
And...is anime an expensive hobby or what? All this pre-ordering is costing me in the thousands!!! :)
K. C.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you rascals! My checkbook hates you!!
So I'm at Best Buy, armed with a 20% off coupon, and there's vol. 1 of Neon Genesis Evangelion and i remembered the raves here.....
and the rest is history.
I'll have to watch it tonight and see if I need to print off some more of those coupons......
wink.gif

------------------
For 11+ hours of Beethoven music available nowhere else, visit www.unheardbeethoven.org (New THIRD Millennium update done 10/22/00 )

GregBarron

Agent
I've really been wanting to give Anime a try. I wanted to ask what your recommendations are for someone just starting out....ones that are anamorphic and 5.1 sound.
Thanks,
Greg

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Stay away from the anime Zimmer, trust me you DON'T want to go there...
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I suggest the following groups(sorry, but every time I logged onto the HTF the past few days it was down). I bolded them in my list to help people narrow it down, but here it is again-
Chage&Aska
Field of View
X Japan
Dragon Ash(Buzz Songs, their 2nd album is their best, so is the companion DVD(R2) Buzz Clips)
On the subject of starting titles, one thing you have to understand is that most anime is 2.0 with a 4:3 OAR. Off the top of my head, Ghost in the Shell(dub is horrid, Japanese is only 2.0 surround, but good anyway),and Wings of Honneamise(same deal, except the transfer is not encoded correctly, and bad to begin with, with incorrect color timing as well. The Japanese disc is THX cert(totally remastered/restored at Skywalker Ranch) and features a Japanese 5.1 track, but no subs). Blue Submarine 6 has a killer 5.1 Japanese track, as well as a killer transfer.
Upcoming titles that will be anamorphic are- Revolutionary Girl Utena Movie, Blood, Spriggan, Cowboy Bebop movie(not confirmed, but I think it's rather obvious).
Jeff Kleist

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Oh, you rascals! My checkbook hates you!!
So I'm at Best Buy, armed with a 20% off coupon, and there's vol. 1 of Neon Genesis Evangelion and i remembered the raves here.....
and the rest is history.
I'll have to watch it tonight and see if I need to print off some more of those coupons......
Once you get hooked, you can't give up...esp. when it comes to Evangelion. Trust me...you're gonna be so poor, you're gonna hate us. *evil laughter* We own your soul now! :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I've really been wanting to give Anime a try. I wanted to ask what your recommendations are for someone just starting out....ones that are anamorphic and 5.1 sound.
Thanks,
Greg
Most anime series and OVAs are made for 4:3 TVs. Movies tend to be in widescreen. Most anime series usually don't carry 5.1 except for movies. Recently a new series in Japan, "Initial D", carries 5.1 sound for their anime TV episodes. Pretty cool series. :) Anyhoo, give Evangelion a try to get you pumping. Or Cowboy Bebop. And then you can request for more and then we'll just recommend some more for you. :)
Kong
P.S. btw, those two I mentioned are TV series.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I'm just wondering if anyone got theirs yet, Andy. :)
I am now ordering anime DVDs direct from BestPrices.Com who have some of the best prices to offer for anime DVDs (I swear, I can purchase from them forever, if they keep their prices low for anime). Anyway, just want to see who got theirs in, because I haven't received anything.
frown.gif

I hate waiting...maybe Anime Expo will carry the stuff I'm missing.
I need to buy some Japanese R2 DVDs there as well...
So, coming next year to AX, Andy? :)

Anyone know when the next two volumes of Kenshin come out? Amazon lists their release date as 626, but Chris has later dates on his site, and I can't get a definite date anywhere...
Thanks for any help!
Jonathan
------------------
Tracker List

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
Kong, I just got word that my Eva 8 shipped this morning. I can't wait to watch it!
Last night, I watched the first episodes of a whole bunch of series that I'd never seen, from a friend's tape and disc collection. Looks like my wallet is going to be lightened even more. Of the more recent shows, I really enjoyed Escaflowne and Outlaw Star. The animation was terrific, especially on Esca. My friend left some tapes with me (Nadia, Rayearth, Fushigi Yugi, Sakura Wars, etc.) that we didn't get around to watching last night, so I need to go through those. He's more into the lighter, funnier stuff than I am, but I'm sure I'll find lots to enjoy.
--Rog

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks