What's new
World Wide Stereo

about to buy a marantz sr 6400 or 7400..anything I should know? (1 Viewer)

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys..I am about to upgrade my jvc rx-8010vbk with a marantz 6400 or 7400 depending on price differences..probably the 6400..

anyways is there anything I should know before I buy this receiver? problems? i've done a ton of research on the new receiver and I was going to get a denon 1804 or 2803, but found that the marantz would suit me better..I appreciate any last minute input before I buy..

lastly does the 6400 have digital drop-out? I read that the 6300 model did, but no one was sure if the 6400 does or not..thanks again..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There have been some issues with the 7400 running far too hot. Might want to consider asking about this. I noticed this myself also when I was at my dealer a few weeks ago - their 7400 was hot, not just warm, to the touch while just sitting idle. I don't know if this is considered normal for the new models, but even my 8300 does not get that hot after 3+ hours of use.

gregD

Second Unit
Spend the extra money on the 7400.

Don't know about the new x400 series specifically, but in the past series, the rule of thumb has been that the 7x00 and above are usually manufactured in Japan and have fewer reliability issues than the 6x00 and below which are manufactured elsewhere in Asia.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks guys...I can actually get a good deal on the 7300osd right now locally..but I hear they experience hiss or a resonation? I'm kind of worried about this..should I go for the denon avr-2803? I can get it at the same price..thanks for the help..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd get the OSE. It is basically an 8200 without THX select cert and a slightly smaller chassis. However, the 7400 has an adjustable x-over that the OSE does not.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
thanks john..the adjustable xover would be a nice feature, but the ose still has a selectable xover right? the main issue is the noise that others have posted about on the 7300 units..I don't want to throw 1000 $ Canadian to have worse sound than my jvc receiver..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 7400 has 3 choices, and I don't really remember if the OSE had 2 or if it was fixed, but I believe it was fixed (the 8300 is fixed at 80Hz for THX).

I've listened to 3 7300s in 2 different stores, and I never heard anything that I would consider bad, and I was listening specifically for noise as noted by some on this forum. In fact, they all sounded pretty good to me :)

Marantz has a 3 year warranty, so just make sure you get it at an authorized dealer and you should not have any problems.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to be on the safe side, talk to your dealer about their return policy. My dealer is VERY good about taking care of any issues I've had with any of my gear, and often go a step further. I had ordered the 8300 from them, which ended up being delayed, but I had already sold my receiver - so the dealer loaned me one of their floor models to use until my unit arrived. I had a friend who accidentally blew some tweeters - his fault, the speakers were well out of warranty, but they STILL replaced the tweeters for free. That's service, IMO, and the reason why I keep going to them.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
yeah john that is great..the place where I buy all my stuff is very good..I bought a TV from them that was defective..RCA wouldn't do anything except take the TV to their service facility to see what the problem was..I would have been without a TV..the local store then called and harassed RCA until they plain exchanged it for a brand new TV..the local shop also said if they couldn't do anything with RCA they would eat the cost and give me a new TV..

not to mention they give me the absolute best price they can..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks