What's new

A Tallahesche Bridge...to nowhere. An Ode to a dvd that never was (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Warner Brothers has so few 70s/80s films in their library not on DVD. I'm surprised the once announced Ode to Billy Joe has yet made it. Not even for its 35th anni last year.
This was a hit in the Summer of 76 and played HBO incessantly. Glynnis O'Connor won raves . If 1976 didnt have such a strong Supporting Actress Oscar category (Piper Laurie, Jane Alexander , Lee Grant)-she might of slipped in.
This is on Amazon Prime-and was briefly part of Netflix streaming-but has neveer even made it to the Archives.
Robby Bensons other films -except for this and Die Laughing (Walk Proud never evenn made it to vhs-has hit DVD.
This is one of the first movies i remember based on a song.
ANY IDEAS?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
You may have just answered your own question. Remember that Warner Archive likes to do releases in waves, or common threads - a bunch of 30's movies here, '70's movies there, Blake Edwards reissues...
Maybe we'll get a whole slew of Robby Benson flicks in a few months. BILLY JOE, DIE LAUGHING, another push for ONE ON ONE...not sure what else they have with the eternally handsome one.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Glynnis O'Connor for Best Supporting Actress? She had the lead role! She had more screen time than Robby Benson.

You may be right about this being the first film based on a pop song. It was followed by Convoy and Harper Valley PTA. There were films before that were titled after a pop song but none that I can think of that were based on the song itself.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jeffrey:K said:
Glynnis O'Connor for Best Supporting Actress?  She had the lead role! She had more screen time than Robby Benson.
You may be right about this being the first film based on a pop song. It was followed by Convoy and Harper Valley PTA. There were films before that were titled after a pop song but none that I can think of that were based on the song itself.
Which came first, the song "Because They're Young" or the movie?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
This was actually based on a novel called HARRISON HIGH. The song , much like WHERE THE BOYS ARE -came later

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Someone asked about this at Warner Archive's Facebook page, and they replied there were issues holding up a release. Probably having to clear the song rights from either the record company or the publishers.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I suspected the dreaded song writes issue was the culprit. I'm sure that's also prohibiting THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GA from its release. Whoever may own that.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Glynnis O'Connor. I had all but forgotten about her (even though IMDB shows she's been working fairly steadily all along). She was one of my favorite heartthrobs of the era, along with Susan Blakely and, of course, Hayley Mills.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeffrey:K said:
Glynnis O'Connor for Best Supporting Actress?  She had the lead role! She had more screen time than Robby Benson.
You may be right about this being the first film based on a pop song. It was followed by Convoy and Harper Valley PTA. There were films before that were titled after a pop song but none that I can think of that were based on the song itself.
Love Glynnis and wrote about her here.
I like ODE TO BILLY JOE, though my favorite teaming of these two was in JEREMY.
As for movies based on or inspired by pop songs, that inspired this fun little post a few years back.

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of Hayley Mills, I've been waiting for The Truth About Spring forever. Don't know who owns it though.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
KathyBeck said:
Speaking of Hayley Mills, I've been waiting for The Truth About Spring forever. Don't know who owns it though.
Universal released this to theaters but it was a Rank picture. I saw this on TCM not too long ago -great little movie-and do not remember the Universal logo-so this may lie with VCI . They have done a great job with the Rank library - Guinevere, The Riddle of the Sands, Ferry to Hong Kong were hard to find on vhs-VCI did some nice work for DVD.

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
Universal Vault Series finally released Truth About Spring. Widescreen too. You can get it on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks