What's new

A really easy way to make top quality audio/video cables. (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
FYI:
The Canare Crimp Die (TC-D-5CF) is not available from Markertek over the internet, but can be ordered from the 1-800-522-2025 number. Cost is $66.36.
In addition, I could not find the 37 piece home theater shrink kit on the Parts Express site. They now have a 2:1 3M 91 piece kit for $29.95, but there are alot of heat shrink pieces that would do me no good. (Too small). I did not try to call the Parts Express site.
Good Luck to everyone that wants to try out the self-made cables.
Chris:
Thank you for your previous help on my questions.
Mike O'Connell

MarkO

Second Unit
Bettercables uses the Canare 4s-11 Star Quad for thier speaker cable. I have found this cable to be too dull and lifeless on my system. If you have bright gear this cable might be worthwhile.

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
WOW,
That has got to be one of the best sites I've seen!
Great work!!
I have wondered if I could make cables as nice as the ones I can buy. Now I know I can.
Thanks,
Bill

Chris White

Second Unit
Gordon: The main problem with Belden coax is finding a supplier for a reasonable length. Most people don't want to buy 100 meters.
Mike: Markertek seems to have trouble keeping their website up to date. They often have products for sale that aren't listed on their website.
Brian: Just to let everyone else know what you emailed to me, it appears that Zacks Electronics sells most of the Canare line and is cheaper than Markertek or Haveinc.
MarkO: You might want to try Belden 1810A if you can find it.
Bill: Thanks!

BrianMc

Auditioning
Marko,
Are you certain that BC uses Canare 4S11 speaker cable? Have you done an autopsy??? I heard from a "VERY reliable source" that they use Belden wire. I didn't ask what type, but the 1810A is the only one I could find that meets the BC description. I haven't compared the Carare and Belden myself, but they are so generically the same (4 x 14ga, same insulation, etc) I find it hard to believe there could be a huge difference.

BrianMc

Auditioning
As of last week, Have Inc. had Canare 4S11 at $1.20/ft and Belden 1810A at $1.02/ft, both plus a $7.50 cut charge. If you want some you better act quick. At the rate they are discontinuing "cut to length" items (first Techflex, and now, from what I hear, the Canare V3-5CFB) these might not be around for long!

MarkO

Second Unit
Yup,,I am certain. Canare is the only one that uses a clear insulation. Belden uses only solid colours. I tried the BC cables a while back and I peeked inside the sleeve. I returned the BC cables with no hassel a week later. They are nice cables, but diddent match up with my sytem very well. For an additional $30 (for the front three speakers) I then ordered a set of DH Labs T-14 Silver Sonic cables. These cables are not as fancy on the outside,but offer ofc copper strands individualy coated with silver, and the use of teflon rather than pvc. I am happy with these. Altho I spent the extra monney for the factory terminated ends the T-14 is also available by the foot for the DIY crowd. Here the link if you want to take a gander www.audioc.com

BrianMc

Auditioning
Correction on my last post:
Have Inc. still sells Canare V3-5CFB component cable by the foot. Minimum order is 10' and it sells for $2.09/ft with a $7.50 cut charge

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered my Canare 4S11 from Markertek for 1.12 per foot with 50' minimum order, no cut charge.
Phil

PomingF

Second Unit
Hi Chris & Brian:
Thank you for an outstanding job in putting together such a helpful page. The ony problem I have is the width of your web page which I can't make my printer to print out a complete page w/o cutting out the picture portion. Any way to get around the problem? I also have a few/many questions for you guys before setting out to make my own cables.
What cables/connectors do line-level subwoofer & digital coaxial fall into? As 'audo interconnects' or the 'general A/V'? Right now I have them all (including my component cables) made out of Radio Shack RG-6 cables/gold-plated RCA plugs.
As for the Canare & Beldon speaker cables you all mentioned. Are they shielded/braided paired cables or are they straight wires? How do they compare with the 12 gauge wires people been talking about and what size (AWG) conductors do they have? Finally what terminals/connectors (spade vs banana plug) should they be paired with? In either case will I need a different Canare crimp die for the job?
On to the braided sleeve. Has anyone been reasonably successful in using those from Newark Electronics or should one better stick with HaveInc. And if that's the case would anyone be willing to split a bulk order as I don't mind placing the initial order as long as I know how to cut and keep it from unraffling during shipping. Any suggestion from Chris on this as well as an estimate on how much sleeve does one need (per cable or length of cable) will also be helpful.
Finally any contact info on Zacks (or Zachs) electronics?
Thanks for the time & help.
PF

Chris White

Second Unit
Poming:
Thanks for the heads up on printing the page. I discovered I had accidentally specified the column widths in pixels rather than percents in the first table. It should be easier to print now.
What cables/connectors do line-level subwoofer & digital coaxial fall into?
A 75 ohm coax works perfectly for a subwoofer or dvd. I use RG6 for everything because it's appropriate for any frequency range from DC to 2 Ghz. Thus, the question of audio versus video becomes irrelevant. When buying cables, just remember this: any cable appropriate for video is also acceptable for audio provided it uses a solid copper core coax. However, many audio cables are in fact 110 ohm twisted pair which is not appropriate for video (or even all audio for that matter). Sorry if that's confusing. Now you see why I use RG6 for everything!
As for the Canare & Beldon speaker cables you all mentioned. Are they shielded/braided paired cables or are they straight wires?
First, just to be clear, the Canare cables listed on my DIY page are NOT speaker cables, they are RG6 coax. They are NOT appropriate to use as speaker cable. Canare 4S11 is 4 x 14 AWG conductors (which can be paired to yield two 11awg) encased in a braided shield. In terms of the amount of wire reaching the speaker, the Canare and Belden are essentially the same as standard 12 gauge wire. The difference, if any, would come from the resistance to interference provided by the braided shielding. You can use any standard speaker connector such as spade or banana plug. You don't need a crimp die to install a spade or banana plug.
The braiding available from Newark is very nice looking. I think it looks nicer than Techflex. However, it's more expensive than Techflex and takes longer to install. The techflex won't unravel during shipping. However, it is essential to use heat shrink with it to prevent unraveling over time once installed. If I have a one meter cable, then I cut a one meter piece of Techflex or SPC braiding to fit. One or both ends will need trimming because it stretches a bit as you install it. It doesn't matter if it's a bit uneven since the heat shrink hides the ends.

BrianMc

Auditioning
I'm planning to use the solid (L5-CFB) for all things video including CATV, and the stranded (LV-77S) for all things audio, including the sub. The advantage of the solid wire is slightly reduced signal loss, particularly at the higher (video) frequencies; the advantage of the stranded wire is much greater flexibility. I'm not sure that this makes sense for the lowly cable signal, it just seemed like a logical point to make the split.
You can call Zack Electronics at 1-800-323-5925. I talked to Scott at ext 304. They have a web site (I don't remember the URL - just do a Yahoo search) but as I recall it was pretty useless for the parts discussed here. My only complaint with Zack is that they didn't have either of the coax cables in stock when I ordered and estimated 7-10 day delivery. I ordered from them anyway since I wasn't in a rush.
Just to clarify, I haven't actually received anything from Zack to date due to the delay with the coax. Since I was referred to them directly by Canare, I'm not expecting any problems, but until I actually receive my order, I cannot honestly give Zack a ringing endorsement. You can be sure I will post here if I run into problems (and even if I don't.)

PomingF

Second Unit
Chris & Brian:
Thanks for the prompt responses. I will use the rest of this weekend to organize on material needed to place the orders. Can't wait to have some of those beautiful cables installed in my system.
Again thanks for you guy's help.
PF

BrianMc

Auditioning
Chris,
In addition to the coax, I ordered all of the connectors, the crimp die, coax stripper, and cable boots from Zack. All of the prices were better than Markertek except the L5-CFB which was $0.39/ft vs. $0.34. I was told that everything except the cable was in stock, but requested that they hold the available items until the cable came in.

BrianMc

Auditioning
Chris,
When you said you were using RG6 for everything, were you referring specifically to the L-5CFB (and V3-5CFB) or more generically to coax, including the LV-77S, which according to the Canare site is not true RG-6 but "Broadcast Standard 8281", (whatever the heck that is)? I was under the impression that you were also using LV-77S for your audio I/C's. Probably a minor point -- just want to head off any possible confusion.

Chris White

Second Unit
Does Zack's sell the V3-5CFB and, if so, what's their price, and do they have it in stock?
I use LV-77S for audio interconnects and L-5CFB for everything else except component video. I don't know why in the world Canare would say LV-77S isn't RG6 because it meets all the specifications for RG6. Belden calls its equivalent RG6. Of course, I've been told that Canare claims the coax in the V3-5CFB is exactly the same coax as L-5CFB when I know for an absolute fact it is not.
------------------
The White's Home Theater
Home Theater Terms Audio Terms DIY A/V Cables

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks