What's new

"A Matter Of Life And Death" (1 Viewer)

Fred_C

Agent
Any chance someone with some clout will read this and get the movie released w/out the Scorcese commentary?
They can always add it to an SE release later.

Fred_C

Agent
again i ask.. is this baby ever coming out?

It just doesn't make sense to me, to do the restoration work and then not release it.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I just want the movie too.

Sony seems pre-occupied with the MGM acquisitions. I'm looking for Capra's THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN and AMERICAN MADNESS that were rumored to be coming out. If Sony and Univeral can't handle their libraries, they should license them to Criterion or Kino, rather than letting great films rot in video Purgatory.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Something is holding this release up, definately. I recall that it was mentioned that the effervesant and beautiful Martin Scorsese was going to record an audio commentary which would be a fabulous supplement.

It is a film very close to my heart. A labour of love from true Masters of Cinema, with amazing performances and visual artistry.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Turner Classic Movies (U.S. version) is apparently going to air A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH/STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN in September, along with several other Powell and Powell/Pressberger films (though not all of them). I wonder how this bodes for Sony finally giving a DVD release for A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, if at all?

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
September is the Michael Powell centenary so one would hope that some items might become available around that time.

Fred_C

Agent
I'll be looking out for the movie on TCM in Sept. and hopefully the dvd will be released as well.

Fred_C

Agent
I don't have a multi-region player so i guess i'll just have to hope that they do the right thing come Sept.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This just showed on TCM yesturday for the first time ever. Does this mean we might see a region 1 DVD release soon?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Perhaps. Sony spent considerable money on further restoration of the film a couple of years ago (around the time cinematographer Jack Cardiff was awarded an honorary Oscar), to the extent of importing the film negative to the U.S. to work on it. It was announced for DVD release by Sony/Columbia over a year ago (many online retailers listed it at the time), but was pulled, supposedly so that Martin Scorsese, then busy with THE AVIATOR, could record a commentary track.

It suddenly dawned on me last night that next year will be the film's 60th anniversary (and we all know how studio marketing departments like those, especially when they end in a "0" or a "5"), so that could bode well for an R1 release, but who knows? Sony/Columbia is also erratic in their classic film DVD releases. Since this film was made prior to the Cinemascope era, at least we won't have to worry about Sony/Columbia's shakey commitment to OAR with this one, whenever the DVD comes to pass.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's several years since Sony said that were just waiting on Martin Scorsese to record a commentary for the R1 release (it's been out in R2 for some time). However, it looks like that hasn't changed. In January, Thelma Schoonmaker introduced a screening of Bluebeard's Castle and The Tales of Hoffmann at the LA County Museum and in a Q&A session she apparently mentioned that Sony's A Matter of Life and Death is complete except for one thing - they're waiting on Scorsese to record a commentary (still!)

RobertGr

Second Unit
On another thread - the one about NORTH BY NORTHWEST I mentioned that this Sat - Mar 8, 2008 The Lafayette Theater in Suffern NY will be showing that film as part of it's big screen classics series. Check out their website Big Screen Classics they are also going to show A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH on another Sat- I asume the print is from Sony, hopefully this means the video release is approaching. If not they should turn the film over to Criterion to release as they seem able to secure Martin Scorsese for their tracks!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I wonder if they prepped a hi-def transfer for a Blu-ray release. By the time Scorsese gets around to that commentary, hi-def may be the standard bearer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony has already indicated that AMOLAD is on the way (well, it's been on the way for some years...). Over at the BritMovie forum, P&P guru Steve Crook has some more info, courtesy of Thelma Schoonmaker:

It'll be packaged with Age of Consent in their "Collectors Choice" series. An odd choice but Columbia have the rights to both of them in the States.

AMOLAD will have a commentary by Ian Christie and Martin Scorsese has done an interview and introduction to both films.

AoC will be the one with the original soundtrack restored and there are also interviews with some of the people involved in the making of it like Helen Mirren, Tony Buckley (editor), Peter Sculthorpe (composer), Ron and Valerie Taylor (underwater camera) and Kevin Powell.

Thelma and some friendly people at Columbia have worked hard to get all of this done. They've done some tidying up on the prints of both films and the soundtracks.

So no Scorsese commentary as rumoured...I hope they are slightly more than merely tidied up.

Sony also releases Age of Consent in the UK next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks