What's new

A job for the independent (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
OK, so I've been having a frustrating time at work lately. It seems I spend as much time fixing other peoples screw ups (even from our vendors!) than I do actually doing something constructive.

When frustration overwhelms me I like to play the 'change careers' game. I try to think of a career I can change to where I do not have to depend on other people doing their job right in order to do my own job well.

So far all I come up with are a bust - Truck driver - gotta get the truck koaded and unloaded - and traffic...

Author - need a publisher - PR, publicist.

etc.

What are your thoughts. Want to play?

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Male Gigolo ??

:D

I'm recently quit my office job of 6 years & going back to a driving job. I know the feeling of having to fix other peoples problems / work harder because of them.

So, I decided to go back to driving. Of course it's going to be local & using their vehicle, but at least I know I'm not counting on others to get my job done.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Male Gigilo - closest I've seen yet, though in my case the income potential is severly limited - and I won't go 'gay for pay'. :P

Driving; road construction - idiot drivers - police - emechanic - etc.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Unabomber? If you can live self-sufficiently in the woods in a shack, you can probably pick up spare parts from people's trash (in the middle of the night, in a bear costume) and then perhaps the only thing you'll have to deal with is perhaps explosives, but depending on how frequent or how many bombs you want to distribute, you might be able to make do with things you can find... Fertilizer depots, etc. etc. Or if you decide to go solar for power and get a sat. modem, perhaps ordering off the internet.

Then the rest would be dealing with the post office for mailing it out, unless you hand deliver (which would also imply that you would be a local unabomber, and not global.

Another problem, is that I don't know how you would get paid as a job as this...

Jay

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Hired assassins are pretty independent. Of course, you have to move a lot. Kind of hard to put down roots in a community.

;)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Man Eric,
I am in the same boat except I am in a retail setting and am sick of people in this setting.
I am in a dead end job and hate it and can't think of anything I wanna do. People say "do you what your passion is". Well if I did that it would become work, then ruin it as a passion.

I'll be watching here for any ideas too.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Nah, you'd have to depend on people keeping their dogs locked up so you can get in the yard. (yeah, right!)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Private Investigator. You can't get more independent than that. I did it for a while and of course the hours suck. And you start to generate a real distaste for the human race since most of the cases are cheating spouses or workman's comp type things.

Magnum PI it sure wasn't.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
No, and I got chased a couple of times by cheating husbands who didn't like me taking pictures of them diddling their mistresses.

After a couple of times, that was enough to start carrying.

But I was independent which is what the OP was looking for. ;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im in the same boat. I hate my job. I need to make a certain amount due to bills and rent which is one of my problems. I may have to work two crap jobs while I look for something good. Im hoping to survive till the beginning of Dec for my bonus, if I dont quit or get fired (long story; my employers and I havent been getting along) :angry:

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I just jumped into the world of truck driving, and it's
no picnic, at least not yet. I've only been on the road
for 2 weeks, and my employers are giving me some pain-in-
the-ass jobs, and they are not letting me do a proper
restart (job lingo). Nothing like having a job shoved
down your throat.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I have more or less the same problem with jobs, except that since I ended up in a wheelchair in 2002, I can't get a job. I'll send my resume to online want ads, and they seem really enthusiastic to hear from me. On the day of the interview, however, they take one look at the chair, and all the energy just goes out. I don't even waste my time guessing and hoping I'll get the job. :thumbsdown:

So I have returned to school with the idea of learning something new, and starting my own business. The only downside I see to being my own boss is: what do I do when my boss is an a-hole? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks