What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Out of the confines of the "western theme park," the characters take on new lives in a world sometime in the future, but the past continues to intrude.

No plot discussion here, as it really needs to be experienced, but like the first two seasons on 4k, Season III is as magnificent of 4k Blu-rays come, and hits reference quality.

Shot on film, and finished in 4k, the series continues to please. Dolby Vision cannot run in projection, is present, and looks superb on panels (especially OLED), and HDR looks superb in projection.

The track, in Dolby Atmos on the 4k Blu, helps to create a totally cohesive experience.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I just ordered. Looks like the Blu-ray is currently $28.99, but the UHD/Blu-ray combo is on sale for $18.99. Not sure how the math works out to add a copy on UHD and subtract $10, but for what its worth clicking on the amazon widget above takes you to a page where its on sale for $18.99

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just ordered. Looks like the Blu-ray is currently $28.99, but the UHD/Blu-ray combo is on sale for $18.99. Not sure how the math works out to add a copy on UHD and subtract $10, but for what its worth clicking on the amazon widget above takes you to a page where its on sale for $18.99
The UHD set is normally over $40. I ordered mine as well. It’ll be worth the wait, since it says at least a month.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amazon price matched Best Buy so people can order it from them which might be faster.
Good to know. My local BB doesn't have it in stock anyway, and I won't be watching in the next month, so I can wait.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So, I'm confused on one point. The Best Buy Exclusive 4K SteelBook was officially released yesterday. But several retailers (Amazon and Bull Moose, to name two), as well as blu-ray.com have the standard 4K release as being on Nov 17. Was the standard edition actually released then, or was it delayed to this week? Just curious.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good to know. My local BB doesn't have it in stock anyway, and I won't be watching in the next month, so I can wait.
Well, I placed my BB order this morning around 4:30 a.m. and it's already been delivered to me. I opened up my front door and there it was on my door mat. I've never received anything this fast beforehand. It must have shipped from my local BB as they had some of them in-stock when I placed my order, but didn't feel like going there with curbside service.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
By the way, Amazon has up the pricing to $23.45 while it remains $18.99 at BB.
Probably once BB shifted to store pick-up only, though that's still a good price. I put in an order with Amazon at the lower price. I don't really care when it arrives.

The Westworld 4K's always seem to be available at a low price shortly after release. I probably wouldn't have bought the 4K versions, but the low prices were too good to pass up. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for any season on 4K.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
By the way, Amazon has up the pricing to $23.45 while it remains $18.99 at BB.

It's not available for store pickup within 250 miles of Phoenix, AZ, so it's quite possible this deal at BB is over for many people. The Amazon price is still very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not available for store pickup within 250 miles of Phoenix, AZ, so it's quite possible this deal at BB is over for many people. The Amazon price is still very good.
My local BB had two in-stock this morning, but now it only has one left in-stock.;) That second one is sitting on my desk in my home office.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I placed my BB order this morning around 4:30 a.m. and it's already been delivered to me. I opened up my front door and there it was on my door mat. I've never received anything this fast beforehand. It must have shipped from my local BB as they had some of them in-stock when I placed my order, but didn't feel like going there with curbside service.
I guess BB must be sometimes "shipping" from the store, as in, someone goes out and does deliveries.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess BB must be sometimes "shipping" from the store, as in, someone goes out and does deliveries.
When I turned on my cell phone, I got a text message from a local shipping person that they left this release on my front door mat from BB. That confirms it came from my local BB.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So, I'm confused on one point. The Best Buy Exclusive 4K SteelBook was officially released yesterday. But several retailers (Amazon and Bull Moose, to name two), as well as blu-ray.com have the standard 4K release as being on Nov 17. Was the standard edition actually released then, or was it delayed to this week? Just curious.

It was released on Nov 17th. I got my copy from amazon at that time.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
Shot on film? Aren't all those flying city shots digital drone photography? Other shots look digital as well. I'd like to see a breakdown of what was shot on what for season 3. It looked like a lot of digital gear in the HBO making of featurettes on the disc.

edit: found an article here: https://ymcinema.com/2020/08/10/wes...s-a-reference-for-the-supremacy-of-celluloid/

apparently they were able to mount 35mm film camera on a drone. But they also used the Sony Venice digital camera for wide night shots.

quote from lead DP: "If there was one rule it was that cinematographers could use the Sony Venice for an extreme wide shot, but the rest would be shot on film."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks