What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Definition (3 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
Craig H
no. Nor was this
Common wisdom regarding restorations like The Searchers seems to be that keeping it in the electronic realm is the way to go. This thread has asserted such.

Without having seen this exact restoration, can one quantify what differences would be noticable with the 70mm film out vs at least a 4K (who has 8K projection?) theatrical screening. Positive or negative drawbacks?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There is a disturbing post in the other Searchers thread saying this is yellow as can be. I'm hoping it's not, but that's sure what it sounds like from the post. If the bricks in the main titles are yellow we're in deep doo doo and it means they used the last transfer as a color reference. Praying it's not so.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is a disturbing post in the other Searchers thread saying this is yellow as can be. I'm hoping it's not, but that's sure what it sounds like from the post. If the bricks in the main titles are yellow we're in deep doo doo and it means they used the last transfer as a color reference. Praying it's not so.
I very much doubt this to be true.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The color scheme was off on the original Blu-ray. It was a mistake that even Warner knew occurred based on a conversation I had with one studio person.
Does anyone have some simple suggestions on TV settings that will correct the color scheme?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A single post by an account that was just opened here yesterday, and that was his/her first and only post. I'll take it with a HUGE grain of salt and won't start worrying until we start seeing similar opinions cropping up elsewhere. It boggles the mind to think that they'd go to all this trouble and expense and NOT correct a basic problem of this magnitude; one that's been complained about and noted over and over for years.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Common wisdom regarding restorations like The Searchers seems to be that keeping it in the electronic realm is the way to go. This thread has asserted such.

Without having seen this exact restoration, can one quantify what differences would be noticable with the 70mm film out vs at least a 4K (who has 8K projection?) theatrical screening. Positive or negative drawbacks?
The 70mm would be softer and less stable, and of course prone to dust and scratches. A 4K DCP would appear sharper, rock solid and immune to wear and tear.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A single post by an account that was just opened here yesterday, and that was his/her first and only post. I'll take it with a HUGE grain of salt and won't start worrying until we start seeing similar opinions cropping up elsewhere. It boggles the mind to think that they'd go to all this trouble and expense and NOT correct a basic problem of this magnitude; one that's been complained about and noted over and over for years.
It might account for the deafening silence from Warners regarding future screenings and the protracted amount of time before its digital release.
A botched restoration? Official word from Warners would help at this point.

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
Up to 2 years????????? Is that logical?
The 70th Anniversary will be in 2026, so.....
I think they are going lock up the 70 year old western.
You're wrong.
It might account for the deafening silence from Warners regarding future screenings and the protracted amount of time before its digital release.
A botched restoration? Official word from Warners would help at this point.

How many botched restorations that have been shot out to 70mm, showed at TCM as one of the cornerstone screenings of the festival, booked into the Egyptian and the Aero to SRO audiences, with word on the street from all these screenings have been off the charts positive (besides one person here), as Warner is talking with other theaters about future bookings? Zero.

I recently had a conversation with someone at Warner in the restoration area who is very aware of the issues with the last restoration when it comes to yellow. They have seen this new restoration at the Steve Ross and have assured me those issues are fully resolved in this new restoration. Also, friends and former colleagues have seen the TCM and the one Egyptian screening, and they all have been raving about it......outside of one person who said I would think the print is one to two points too blue (my normal gripe with Fotokem) if I saw it, simply as a joke.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 70th Anniversary will be in 2026, so.....

You're wrong.

How many botched restorations that have been shot out to 70mm, showed at TCM as one of the cornerstone screenings of the festival, booked into the Egyptian and the Aero to SRO audiences, with word on the street from all these screenings have been off the charts positive (besides one person here), as Warner is talking with other theaters about future bookings? Zero.

I recently had a conversation with someone at Warner in the restoration area who is very aware of the issues with the last restoration when it comes to yellow. They have seen this new restoration at the Steve Ross and have assured me those issues are fully resolved in this new restoration. Also, friends and former colleagues have seen the TCM and the one Egyptian screening, and they all have been raving about it......outside of one person who said I would think the print is one to two points too blue (my normal gripe with Fotokem) if I saw it, simply as a joke.

I’m in agreement, unless for some odd reason a rejected or first trial was picked up by distrIbution. I’ve always cut them into pieces and given away film strips.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ah, I didn't realize it was a new account with its first post. I'll go look and see what's what.

BMan56

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce
The print & visual presentation at The Egyptian was certainly beautiful - it almost seemed like we were watching digital as the picture was so clean and almost totally free of any dirt or dust - I think I actually noticed two specks in the entire presentation. I thought the colors were not quite as saturated as I expected them to be, but don't claim to know exactly how it should look.

However, the sound was another matter. The sound at the new Egyptian is a huge disappointment - everything I saw this year was far below the quality I remembered for anything I ever saw there at the previous TCM Festivals ( and I've been to them all ). It was like seeing the film in a cave - there was echo throughout the auditorium that made the sound muddy and not effortlessy easy to understand as it used to be. Everything I saw there this year was in mono ( White Heat / Gambit / The Mad Miss Manton / The Searchers ) but friends who are 70mm geeks went to LOA in 70mm stereo and heard the same issues . And when an action scene in The Searchers combined sound effects with a booming musical score the sound became a cacophany of noise.

I have to wonder what Netflix's filmmakers who have their films presented at this theatre think of the audio presentation at this venue.
I found the sound in LOA ear-piercing. The sound system may be calibrated well for newer mixes, but these older films have less bass and more mid to high range. It ends up with over powering high range and a surprising amount of echo. And that echo will probably be there for any film. Not sure why they couldn’t get it sounding better after the years long renovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks