What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Keys of the Kingdom -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gregory Peck made two films in 1944, two in 1945, and two in 1946.

By the time the second or third film was released, his shooting star had risen to great heights, and was never to fall.

In his review of the first film, Days of Glory, Bosley Crowther of The New York Times, penned a single line, that reminds me of a comment made about a Fred Astaire screen test: "Can't act. Can't sing. Balding. Can dance a little."

Mr. Crowther commented: "As the man, Gregory Peck comes recommended with a Gary Cooper angularity and a face somewhat like that modest gentleman's, but his acting is equally stiff."

It was Mr. Peck's second film, directed by John Stahl, and with a screenplay by two greats, Joseph Mankiewicz and Nunnally Johnson, that he made his mark as a Scottish missionary in China.

The Keys of the Kingdom, based upon the novel by A. J. Cronin, is a magnificent film in all respects, and one of the few films about faith that can hold my rapt attention.

Fortunately, Fox was able to attain a gorgeous black & white image harvest, which fully represents the work of the great Arthur Miller (How Green Was My Valley, Gentleman's Agreement).

The supporting cast, Thomas Mitchell, Vincent Piece, Roddy McDowall, Edmund Gwenn, Cedric Hardwicke and a list of others, raise the film to a great height.

This is a film for people who enjoy using their brains, and a wonderful release from Twilight Time.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was going to buy this disc anyway, but RAH's "few words" have increased my determination! This is one of those films I haven't seen for literally decades. I'm looking forward to this.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
After seeing this it it's scratched and damaged version, and still greatly enjoying it, I'm really looking forward to this restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks