What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Romeo and Juliet (1968) – in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
My copy arrived yesterday, so looking forward to seeing it again. I caught a little of it on TCM a couple of years ago or so and the print was acceptable, but this should amount to a big improvement. Everyone I knew in high school at the time went to see it and responded to it, all the more because the ages of the performers were finally appropriate to the tale, and the incidental nudity was not regarded as salacious. Reactionary mindsets nowadays promote revisionist histories.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Looks very much like a new Eastman print from the OCN.
Yes, I agree. It doesn't quite have the velvety textures the original prints at the Paris had, especially in the reds, but it's very beautuful and accurate. Really close to the way it originally looked. So close, the fact that the textures are slightly different, more Eastman than IB, but with a remarkable purity and clarity--no Eastman print back in the day ever looked this good, right on the money in terms of color values and contrast, except maybe the occasional wetgate in a screening room--doesn't bother me.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes, I agree. It doesn't quite have the velvety textures the original prints at the Paris had, especially in the reds, but it's very beautuful and accurate. Really close to the way it originally looked. So close, the fact that the textures are slightly different, more Eastman than IB, but with a remarkable purity and clarity--no Eastman print back in the day ever looked this good, right on the money in terms of color values and contrast, except maybe the occasional wetgate in a screening room--doesn't bother me.

Mine is due today and you've got me salivating!! I can't wait to get home from the office.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ignorance can be remedied; innocence, once lost, can never be regained.
But there's always technology and science ... ;)
1676478941550.png
:D
1676479018855.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Goldie Hawn and Walter Matthau go to see the movie at the Paris in Cactus Flower. When the movie was revived at the theater in the early 70s the tagline was something like Romeo and Julliet return home.

It was also planned to be a roadshow movie like Zeffirelli's Taming of the Shrew but the director said absolutely not. He didn't want that exclusive high class send off. He wanted it from the first to be a continuous run popular youth film.

Last edited:

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Goldie Hawn and Walter Matthau go to see the movie at the Paris in Cactus Flower. When the movie was revived at the theater in the early 70s the tagline was something like Romeo and Julliet return home.

It was also planned to be a roadshow movie like Zeffirelli's Taming of the Shrew but the director said absolutely not. He didn't want that exclusive high class send off. He wanted it from the first to be a continuous run popular film.
And a little over a year later "Cactus Flower" had its premiere at the Paris. It began its regular run at the Astor and Orpheum theaters in NYC the next day.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I did not know that it had a Paris premiere. I knew it had its first run NY engagement at the Astor. I remember seeing that as we drove by the theater at night after my parents had taken us to see Charlie Brown at Radio City.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It was also planned to be a roadshow movie like Zeffirelli's Taming of the Shrew but the director said absolutely not. He didn't want that exclusive high class send off. He wanted it from the first to be a continuous run popular youth film.
I tend to think it was Paramount's decision more than Zeffirelli's. The film HAD a reserved seat roadshow run about 7 months earlier in the UK (hence the appearance of the intermission card on the blu-ray.) The film's US demographic, according to early interest, was younger, college aged filmgoers. By 1968, roadshows, to them, were for "old people." I can't imagine Zeffirelli had any say in the US release pattern.

And a little over a year later "Cactus Flower" had its premiere at the Paris. It began its regular run at the Astor and Orpheum theaters in NYC the next day.

I hate to disagree with you, but I can't find any record of a Paris premiere for Cactus Flower. It started its premiere run on Tuesday, December 16th and there's no mention of it in The Daily News for the 14th or the 15th. I did find a reference to it in the paper from Sunday the 13th, but it was just a mention that it was "opening Tuesday" at the Astor and Orpheum.

Daily_News_1969_12_16_page_71.jpg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I tend to think it was Paramount's decision more than Zeffirelli's. The film HAD a reserved seat roadshow run about 7 months earlier in the UK (hence the appearance of the intermission card on the blu-ray.) The film's US demographic, according to early interest, was younger, college aged filmgoers. By 1968, roadshows, to them, were for "old people." I can't imagine Zeffirelli had any say in the US release pattern.

I hate to disagree with you, but I can't find any record of a Paris premiere for Cactus Flower. It started its premiere run on Tuesday, December 16th and there's no mention of it in The Daily News for the 14th or the 15th. I did find a reference to it in the paper from Sunday the 13th, but it was just a mention that it was "opening Tuesday" at the Astor and Orpheum.

View attachment 176310
It did premiere at the Paris and at the Astor in dual Gala Benefit Performances on December 15th, 1969 and the party was held at the Plaza across the street.
CFlower.jpg

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It did premiere at the Paris on December 15th, 1969 and the party was held at the Plaza across the street.

My sincere apologies as I shouldn't have trusted the search function! It didn't pick up the title somehow but a hand search of the paper on Monday does prove that you are completely correct. I'm so sorry to have doubted!

Daily_News_1969_12_15_page_57.jpg

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The party after the R & J Paris premiere was held at one of the hot NY night spots maybe the Cheetah?

Those British roadshows would always say All Seats Bookable which was their way of saying Reserved Seat Engagement I guess.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman

LCD22

Screenwriter
Has anyone seen this review over on the Criterion Forum?

The new restoration and end presentation significantly improve upon Paramount’s previous DVD edition. The new scan has picked up an incredible level of detail, the textures of the costumes leaping out now, same with the courtyard's stone walls and other settings. The colors look decent, limited a bit by the Eastmancolor source and what looks to be a bit of a teal push at times, but skin tones and whites still look strong alongside nice pops of blue, red, and orange. Black levels are inky with wide range in the shadows, though some day-for-night shots can look a little flat with a bit of crush that could be baked into the photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks