What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman

My problem with High Noon, apart from the standard Kramer didacticism, is the overt message is far too simplistic and malleable such that it is easily co-opted to justify abhorrent behavior. I'll leave real-life out of it. Taken to its extreme, "Society is full of cowards, so the individual must stand up to oppression and do what's right," leads to Travis Bickle.
or what happens in The Ox Bow Incident.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will echo @Robert Crawford 's sentiments that this has been a great discussion to read. Lots of well thought out arguments and viewpoints on some great films. I haven't really shared my thoughts, as I enjoy all of Rio Bravo, El Dorado, and High Noon without having a passion for one film over the others. If you put a gun to my head, though, I would probably pick High Noon over the others.

Now, The Wild Bunch, on the other hand is a film I definitely have a passion for. I am a big fan of the spaghetti western genre, though, and I always thought that The Wild Bunch had a spaghetti western vibe to it, even though it wasn't officially part of that genre.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I will echo @Robert Crawford 's sentiments that this has been a great discussion to read. Lots of well thought out arguments and viewpoints on some great films. I haven't really shared my thoughts, as I enjoy all of Rio Bravo, El Dorado, and High Noon without having a passion for one film over the others.

Now, The Wild Bunch, on the other hand is a film I definitely have a passion for. I am a big fan of the spaghetti western genre, though, and I always thought that The Wild Bunch had a spaghetti western vibe to it, even though it wasn't officially part of that genre.
The Wild Bunch is simply brilliant filmmaking at all levels, and would make a superb 4k release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will echo @Robert Crawford 's sentiments that this has been a great discussion to read. Lots of well thought out arguments and viewpoints on some great films. I haven't really shared my thoughts, as I enjoy all of Rio Bravo, El Dorado, and High Noon without having a passion for one film over the others. If you put a gun to my head, though, I would probably pick High Noon over the others.

The Wild Bunch is simply brilliant filmmaking at all levels, and would make a superb 4k release.
The Wild Bunch is a favorite western/movie of mine. Matter of fact, I have a much deeper passion for The Wild Bunch than just about every western ever made including High Noon. Perhaps, it's only rival(s) is "The Searchers" in that regard. However, I do have a deep passion for a lesser-known western "Tall in the Saddle". I guess I have a deep affinity for all three westerns, The Wild Bunch, The Searchers and Tall in the Saddle. Though, I think High Noon is one of the best movies ever filmed, it doesn't mean I like it more than other westerns. TBH, I like Rio Bravo more than High Noon, but liking and enjoying a movie doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a superior film over another movie. It doesn't work that way. I think Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made, but it's far from being one of my favorite all-time movies.

Damn, I thought I was done with this thread and already this morning, I posted twice in it again.:lol:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The Wild Bunch is a favorite western/movie of mine. Matter of fact, I have a much deeper passion for The Wild Bunch than just about every western ever made including High Noon. Perhaps, it's only rival(s) is "The Searchers" in that regard. However, I do have a deep passion for a lesser-known western "Tall in the Saddle". I guess I have a deep affinity for all three westerns, The Wild Bunch, The Searchers and Tall in the Saddle. Though, I think High Noon is one of the best movies ever filmed, it doesn't mean I like it more than other westerns. TBH, I like Rio Bravo more than High Noon, but liking and enjoying a movie doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a superior film over another movie. It doesn't work that way. I think Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made, but it's far from being one of my favorite all-time movies.

Damn, I thought I was done with this thread and already this morning, I posted twice in it again.:lol:
I love this post Robert. I was going to expound on my love and admiration the Wild Bunch too but you beat me to it. To me it compares more with Seven Samurai than most westerns - it has that emotional and viusal complexity that are almost superhuman. The Searchers, My Darling Clementine, and others are great films as well. But The Wild Bunch is a spectacular statement and it's influence is massive.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Dino signing his album for Ricky 1958
1688835160672.png

1688835181597.png

1688836479220.png

1688836505519.png

John.John.and Ward
1688836721484.png

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I would like to second that. A fantastic movie and having watched it some years ago as a very good 70mm Blow-Up I cannot say much about the colors but the daylight scenes have astonishing detail that would be worthy of a 4K release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

The Wild Bunch got an early DVD and Blu-ray release but now that we would be able to see it in all its glory it is not among the first titles to get the 4K treatment. By now I would have expected to see it and also The Searchers, North by Northwest, Ben-Hur (1959) and Dr. Zhivago but none of them has materialized so far.

Might be time to revitalize that thread about The Wild Bunch!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I would like to second that. A fantastic movie and having watched it some years ago as a very good 70mm Blow-Up I cannot say much about the colors but the daylight scenes have astonishing detail that would be worthy of a 4K release.
It humbles me when I see it (most recently at the tcm film festival.) its playing at the Aero in Santa Monica this week in 70mm.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It humbles me when I see it (most recently at the tcm film festival.) its playing at the Aero in Santa Monica this week in 70mm.
It definitely is one for the big(ger) screen.
I remember seeing it in my home theater for the first time on I believe something like a 6 1/2 foot screen and it was a big difference to see it there compared to my previous 27" TV!

Then I saw it in a theater some years ago and that was even better so if I was living in the area I would certainly attend the screening at the Aero!

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I will say in final defense of RIO BRAVO that it's the film championed in Danny Peary's Cult Movies and by directors John Carpenter (who loosely remade it and edited under the name John T Chance!) and Quentin Tarantino and others. Without it there arguably wouldn't be the other two. And I'm still impressed by Martin's committed performance. He wasn't quite the drunken parody as a performer yet but he makes you forget that persona. The scene where he yells at Stumpy to shut-up is more powerfully emotive than anything Mitchum does in EL DORADO which as others point out, feels more comedic. All three are fun in diminishing style and return but I'm most excited about RIO BRAVO on 4k. I think of all those movies Elvis could have done but didn't...A scene with Martin, Presley and Brennan singing...sigh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Everything is obviously subjective, but don’t you feel Mitchum’s “let me hear you laugh!” scene is just as powerful in El Dorado?
Nope! It's a different type of scene because Stumpy and Dude were friends while that Mitchum scene with Asner were not. Besides we were cheering for Mitchum in that scene while we felt Stumpy and Dude's pain in that scene as one was frighten because he almost killed the other while Dude was going through alcohol withdrawal that was working on his nerves.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I will say in final defense of RIO BRAVO that it's the film championed in Danny Peary's Cult Movies and by directors John Carpenter (who loosely remade it and edited under the name John T Chance!) and Quentin Tarantino and others. Without it there arguably wouldn't be the other two. And I'm still impressed by Martin's committed performance. He wasn't quite the drunken parody as a performer yet but he makes you forget that persona. The scene where he yells at Stumpy to shut-up is more powerfully emotive than anything Mitchum does in EL DORADO which as others point out, feels more comedic. All three are fun in diminishing style and return but I'm most excited about RIO BRAVO on 4k. I think of all those movies Elvis could have done but didn't...A scene with Martin, Presley and Brennan singing...sigh.

I do not see the need to defend Rio Bravo in this thread or any of the other movies even though I slightly prefer El Dorado. After all nobody has attacked Rio Bravo in the first place and it is easily the highest rated of the three movies of the trio of Rio Bravo, El Dorado and Rio Lobo so there is that. Of course if you find Ricky Nelson convincing in his role you will like Rio Bravo even more as many find him to be a slight distraction.

I wanted to comment on the 4K though as from what I remember El Dorado would benefit more from a UHD release as it is a movie with more daylight and outdoor scenes and I think it was also shot on later and better film stock and with less filters.
Maybe we will get it later and arguably that previous Blu-ray of Rio Bravo wasn't all that great so I am still happy to have a UHD release from a new master even though a Blu-ray may have been enough for me.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
And there’s that belt buckle again. Gotta get me one o them.
You can buy a replica here is 1 for 60 dollars.This is from etsy but ebay has them as well as other sites.
1688890153211.png

here is a little history of it.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Worth pointing out that in Guide for the Film Fanatic, Peary described El Dorado as having "just missed" equaling Rio Bravo. He has been a champion of both films, which is as it should be. He's even fairly kind to Rio Lobo, although he didn't devote much space to analyzing it.

Again, my own point in discussing El Dorado was to point out why it's thematically richer to me personally, not to compare the two qualitatively. They're both worthy films, and I don't know that going back-and-forth over which one is "better" than the other will ever get anywhere. Great discussion, but I think that it would be more profitable to focus on what everyone enjoys about each film, not necessarily to use that as a way to knock down the other. Just my own perspective. I enjoy hearing what people love about El Dorado, but I also love hearing what people love about Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Worth pointing out that in Guide for the Film Fanatic, Peary described El Dorado as having "just missed" equaling Rio Bravo. He has been a champion of both films, which is as it should be. He's even fairly kind to Rio Lobo, although he didn't devote much space to analyzing it.

Again, my own point in discussing El Dorado was to point out why it's thematically richer to me personally, not to compare the two qualitatively. They're both worthy films, and I don't know that going back-and-forth over which one is "better" than the other will ever get anywhere. Great discussion, but I think that it would be more profitable to focus on what everyone enjoys about each film, not necessarily to use that as a way to knock down the other. Just my own perspective. I enjoy hearing what people love about El Dorado, but I also love hearing what people love about Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo as well.
I’m not getting that vibe from most people participating in this thread. I think most of us are fans of both Rio Bravo and El Dorado.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You can buy a replica here is 1 for 60 dollars.This is from etsy but ebay has them as well as other sites.
View attachment 190385
here is a little history of it.
A nice one. There’s an entity that’s does one in silver and gold but it’s more than the Big Fries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks