What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Passage to Marseille -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's interesting the difference between the war films made during the war & the plethora of war movies that came in the second half of the forties & the fifties (the sixties was really boys own hero stuff). Of course there's a big propaganda element to films made while the war was going on. I don't know if it makes me a bad person, but I do love war movies, & forties b/w ones the most.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Ordered Passage to Marseille Thursday night, and having just watched the terrific blu of the great Yankee Doodle Dandy, as well as having also seen Warner Archive's amazing blu-ray editions of Out of the Past and The Picture of Dorian Gray, I know that we are in for a terrific evening when we'll again enjoy the atmosphere of a 40s film, which has some of the great performers of that period.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The extras on the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Passage to Marseille:

Uncertain Glory trailer

Newsreel

I Won't Play (WWII short)

Jammin' the Blues

The Weakly Reporter (Merrie Melodies cartoon)

The Free French: Unsung Victors (a 17-minute featurette made in 2006)

Breakdowns (a 1944 collection of bloopers)

Passage to Marseille trailer

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Richard Gallagher said:
The extras on the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Passage to Marseille:

Uncertain Glory trailer

Newsreel

I Won't Play (WWII short)

Jammin' the Blues

The Weakly Reporter (Merrie Melodies cartoon)

The Free French: Unsung Victors (a 17-minute featurette made in 2006)

Breakdowns (a 1944 collection of bloopers)

Passage to Marseille trailer
That's everything from the DVD. By the way, the TCM Spotlight "Errol Flynn Adventures" DVD box from 2010 that contains "Uncertain Glory", "Desperate Journey", "Edge Of Darkness", "Northern Pursuit", and "Objective, Burma!" is similarly featured and excellent. Anyone who enjoys the World War 2 action/propaganda genre (like "Passage To Marseilles") would probably like these five movies as much as I do. There's something about the high stakes involved that makes them as gripping, for me, as the best modern war movies.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Crawford said:
This BD release is now selling for $16.49 at Amazon.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but with the quality I understand that the blu of

Passage To Marseille exhibits, I would hope that many will be encouraged

to order it at such a fair price for seeing an excellent presentation of a catalog

title.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I can hardly wait for this film to arrive; Amazon says my disk will arrive tomorrow.

Also, I doubt it will happen, but I would love for the inclusion of the trailer for UNCERTAIN GLORY to mean it is soon to arrive on blu-ray. I find this undeservedly obscure Errol Flynn film; which was certainly not a big hit in its day, to be far more complex and thought-provoking than most films of the era. Errol's introspective performance was terrific and is one of his best.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Richard M S said:
I can hardly wait for this film to arrive; Amazon says my disk will arrive tomorrow.

Also, I doubt it will happen, but I would love for the inclusion of the trailer for UNCERTAIN GLORY to mean it is soon to arrive on blu-ray. I find this undeservedly obscure Errol Flynn film; which was certainly not a big hit in its day, to be far more complex and thought-provoking than most films of the era. Errol's introspective performance was terrific and is one of his best.
I think that trailer is on the Blu-Ray because it was on the DVD (being contemporary with "Passage To Marseilles") but "Uncertain Glory" is excellent in its own right, and again I recommend the TCM Errol Flynn DVD box set that it's part of.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Matt Hough said:
I watched this tonight and was thoroughly impressed with the video and audio quality of this Blu-ray. Like all of the Warner Archive titles I've purchased on Blu-ray, this one was exemplary.

Bravo, Warners!
Ditto...watched this yesterday. Hadn't seen it in a while....transfer so good it was like watching it for the first time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
atfree said:
Ditto...watched this yesterday. Hadn't seen it in a while....transfer so good it was like watching it for the first time.
I could not agree more. I've never seen it looking this good. I had never owned it on home video, so I was especially thrilled that my first acquisition of it for my collection was with this superlative home video edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks