What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Suggestion: If any of us think we spot the section RAH is referring to (which should be about 20 seconds worth), please send a private message to RAH to confirm your findings or place your comment in spoiler tags. That way, the rest of us can keep looking without knowing exactly where it is located! :)

Happy Hunting, everyone! :)

Mark

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
It's not in the credits is it? Weren't the original credits duplicated from a non-65mm source in the prior restoration?
I will look for it tonight on my upconverted Bluray to 4K Sony Triluminous screen.
Thank you Robert Harris and CBS!!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was thrilled to see in the end "restoration" credits that among the special thanks, one of the kudos went to Gordon Willis.

Way cool and a classy thing to do; being that he is no longer is with us.

Anyone who isn't aware of Mr. Willis' contributions to RAH's restoration of "MFL" may want to track down the July 2014 issue of "American Cinematographer".

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I popped in the disc earlier I can't watch the film tonite but plan on it either Friday or Sunday but I didn't want to delve to far into the movie running time wise but it is reference quality. It is a show off demo disc. I just loved the amount of detail in the professor's study and clothing. I loved the whites of the shirts of the men at the opening of the film they aren't blown out or "glowing" into their jackets like I seem to recall in standard definition (could have been the quality TV and settings I was using at that time also)

It has been well worth the wait. I can only imagine at how grateful CBS and everyone involved in the restoration and release. I almost want that old BLU as my third disc in this set (no need for the DVD) to show off the differences.

I really hope sales are good for this title. I know it has to be flying off the shelves at Target at $24.99. Very grateful that Target agreed to carry this release I know even for films as well known as My Fair Lady retailers will still decline stocking a title no matter how special you tell them it is.

Reactions: PMF

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I'm watching it and enjoying but finding it not as stunning as Spartacus. It's lovely but not what I expected- the baskets in Wouldn't It Be Love'rly look washed out. And the audio isn't as good as Spartacus either IMHO which is older by 4 years. I'm a little perplexed. And no 50th commentary?

But it's still better than the previous but perhaps the year of waiting and the hype has made my expectations too high.

Spartacus on the other hand was mind-blowing compared to previous releases.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
I'm watching it and enjoying but finding it not as stunning as Spartacus. It's lovely but not what I expected- the baskets in Wouldn't It Be Love'rly look washed out. And the audio isn't as good as Spartacus either IMHO which is older by 4 years. I'm a little perplexed. And no 50th commentary?

But it's still better than the previous but perhaps the year of waiting and the hype has made my expectations too high.

Just out of curiosity, what did you expect from the motion picture My Fair Lady and what were those expectations based on in terms of knowing what the film looks like?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
haineshisway said:
Just out of curiosity, what did you expect from the motion picture My Fair Lady and what were those expectations based on in terms of knowing what the film looks like?
I was expecting a warmer sound with a deeper low end. I also was expected a slightly more color saturated image in the opening half hour. This is based upon seeing it on it first release and the 1994 restoration. I've stopped it after Ascot and will resume it later (the Mets are on).

But I'm really disappointed in the lack of any commentary for such an important piece of cinema especially in celebrating it's 50th anniversary. And no isolated score?- even Twilight Time titles give you that.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
TravisR said:
Yes, there are a few exceptions out of the thousands of studio releases but Twilight Time is the only company that I'm aware of where you can expect an isolated score. Certainly no major studio does them with any regularity.
Agreed- but this is the 50th Anniversary edition of an eight time Oscar winner.- NO commentary and NO music only track?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I sent in my guess, it looked a bit gritty and lasted the exact number of frames.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Robert Harris said:
Where do music only tracks come from?

Stems.

There are no surviving stems.

RAH
That's sad but fine - then CBS should have thrown in the CD soundtrack like The Sound of Music had. There is absolutely no need for a useless DVD when a digital copy or CD soundtrack would suffice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
noel aguirre said:

Well, you can't please everybody.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm not bothering Mr Harris with PM's, so I'll submit my guess as a spoiler:

I guess
1:01:50 - 1:02:05 the transition to the "fantasy" section of "Just You Wait" (when the vocals switch from Audrey to Marnie) How'd I do?

It's been wonderful watching this. I still don't love the movie to the extent that most of you do but this restoration is beautiful and a thoroughly satisfying experience.

Thank you to Mr. Harris for this labor of love!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
noel aguirre said:
Well I'm not displeased. I'm underwhelmed. Spartacus on the other hand is breathtaking - especially the sound.
The same applies as kudos can't come from everyone with different expectations, HT setups and knowledge of how the film should look in your HT setup. :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The correct shot according to the message I just got from RAH. Spoiler tagged for your protection.

It starts at 53 minutes, 53 seconds and is a shot of Higgins with Eliza's Dad.
The dad splatters spit on Higgins while talking and Higgins wipes off his face
with a handkerchief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks