What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
maybe they have stopped selling it because i understand there was a problem with the 2nd disc i think, and they're waiting for new discs to be issued?
I don't know why that possibility hadn't occurred to me before, but that does seem plausible! However, if that is indeed the case, I do wonder why the set simply wasn't pulled by Amazon, as they have done this with other items, even just for packaging issues?

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd be happy if the packaging was being revised, quite honestly.
While I don't usually like to harp much about packaging, I don't disagree in this case. I mean, I've never previously felt compelled to warn my wife about cutting herself in connection with handling video packaging! :rolleyes:

Regarding video playback, I haven't run into any issues with either of the Blu-ray Discs, although we've yet to view the Film in its entirety (As opposed to quick scanning!)!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I like the design and look of the packaging but it is prone to damage. I was opening it recently again, and the very top edge plastic broke off by the CBS logo.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In terms of "My Fair Lady"'s mass pressing; there were no defects, whatsoever within my discs.

As stated by Mark-P; in Post # 292; the selling out of RAH's 50th Anniversary Restoration is very encouraging, indeed.

I hope that these "MFL" sales will prove to be a watershed example that catalog titles ARE marketable; once Restorations or Digital Clean-Ups are present within each title offered. Regretfully, Best Buy is still selling the old BD of "Spartacus" alongside the restoration. How will restoration ever get its fair shake, as long as the inferior/obsolete versions are not recalled by the distributors? It should be contractually mandatory that the inferior/obsolete editions are removed, altogether. To separate one edition from the other is the only way consumers will be guaranteed perfection; and the only way distributors will know for certain that a great restoration can make all the difference. Why confuse the consumer who is not attuned to what a real restoration is all about?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In terms of "My Fair Lady"'s mass pressing; there were no defects, whatsoever within my discs.

As stated by Mark-P; in Post # 292; the selling out of RAH's 50th Anniversary Restoration is very encouraging, indeed.

I hope that these "MFL" sales will prove to be a watershed example that catalog titles ARE marketable; once Restorations or Digital Clean-Ups are present within each title offered. Regretfully, Best Buy is still selling the old BD of "Spartacus" alongside the restoration. How will restoration ever get its fair shake, as long as the inferior/obsolete versions are not recalled by the distributors? It should be contractually mandatory that the inferior/obsolete editions are removed, altogether. To separate one edition from the other is the only way consumers will be guaranteed perfection; and the only way distributors will know for certain that a great restoration can make all the difference. Why confuse the consumer who is not attuned to what a real restoration is all about?
I agree that keeping old/inferior versions in the marketplace are a source of confusion and headache, and would love it if those could disappear!

Unfortunately, in a lot of instances, that just isn't realistic. Like it or not, Home Video companies are in business to make money. When they do massive recalls, they don't make money. However bad a restoration job the 2011 Blu-ray of MY FAIR LADY houses, the expense and inherent loss of recalling x number of units is likely more than Paramount is willing to absorb, at present. Therefore, they will remain in the marketplace until they either eventually sell out, or else the cost of the space used in housing them vs. sales levels will be deemed too high.

Thus, the importance of keeping informed in Forums such as HTF, cannot be emphasized enough! :)

By the way, "New" copies of the 2011 Blu-ray are currently going for $52.97 Canadian on Amazon Marketplace. That only 3rd party sellers seem to have this at the moment could perhaps be a sign that there aren't many units of this version left?

Now that would be good news! :)

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I know the 50th is still available from Best Buy and Barnes and Noble but at a higher price than I paid ($24.99). If this is indeed out of print, it will be interesting to see if it shows up again, maybe pared down somewhat, and in a blue case.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know the 50th is still available from Best Buy and Barnes and Noble but at a higher price than I paid ($24.99). If this is indeed out of print, it will be interesting to see if it shows up again, maybe pared down somewhat, and in a blue case.
Hi Stanley!

I find it very hard to believe that a set such as this that has reportedly sold so well would be out of print (With out of print meaning no more copies will be pressed!) a little more than 4 months after its release! In my opinion, temporary lack of availability due to demand and/or addressing packaging and disc playback issues seems the more likely scenarios, though for the latter two, it would strike me as a bit odd that Amazon hasn't explicitly addressed this! Thus, unless and until more information is forthcoming, I tend to assume that the current lack of availability is a supply and demand issue.

Time will tell.

Tony

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
This is a collage I made to celebrate 'Eliza Doolittle Day'...
pizap.com14636464723451.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Shot by Harry Stradling, edited by David Lean, camera operated by Jack Halyard, who shot Kwai, and score by Arthur Honegger (Napoleon).
I was surprised by how much I liked PYGMALION, given my rather intense distaste for Leslie Howard.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I had a three hour gap in my day, so I took the opportunity to watch the new blu all the way through without having to pause (although I did take an intermission). Of course the video is fantastic, but I am blown away by the sound - I can't believe how good it sounds. An awesome disc in every way. I had to re-play the overture afterwards, just to be immersed in the sound.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had a three hour gap in my day, so I took the opportunity to watch the new blu all the way through without having to pause (although I did take an intermission). Of course the video is fantastic, but I am blown away by the sound - I can't believe how good it sounds. An awesome disc in every way. I had to re-play the overture afterwards, just to be immersed in the sound.

Do you have full 96k sonic playback ability?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I saw RAH's restored MFL at my local art house last year...the audio was the thing I noticed most.

And this was not in a high-falutin' new theater with the latest and greatest stuff. But the fullness of the music was (yes, especially the overture) was stunning. I found myself listening to individual instruments at will. It definitely did not sound like a typical 50+ year old film track--although I suppose there is little typical about it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks