What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - My Best Friend's Wedding -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Difficult to believe that P.J. Hogan's My Best Friend's Wedding is a quarter of a century old.

It's a rom-com that represents the best of the genre, and stands the test of time beautifully after all those years.

Columbia's team must have a secret sauce of some sort, as the new 4k has a certain look that I love. I've always referred to the appearance as a thick print - meaning perfect density, but with an appearance that makes you think you can almost dip your fingers into the emulsion.

As an example, the opening prologue, now has a far richer background that it did on Blu-ray, which I recall as being pink.

It's beautiful.

No need to go into details. Easiest to simply relate that it's yet another perfect image harvest from Columbia (Sony).

Audio has been re-imagined in Dolby Atmos.

Image - 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've seen this film only once, mainly because I've never especially wanted to see it a second time. However, as this disc is so good, I am tempted.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
One of those truly outstanding 'feel good' movies that Hollywood used to make pretty much every year to celebrate life, marriage and the human mishmash that can occur on the bumpy road to the altar, but today, doesn't seem to know how to make at all - if, the attempt is even made.

Then again, where, oh where, will we ever find another Julia Roberts? My Best Friend's Wedding always looked incredible on Blu-ray. So, to discover it looking even better in 4K is no great surprise. Actually, given that it was authored/mastered by Sony and Grover Crisp, excellence par excellence was practically expected. Nice to know Mr. Crisp and his staff haven't let us down.

A 'must have' IMO.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm just watching my newly purchased 4k disc and I ran into a weird problem.
In the Karaoke scene, at around 0.26' and on, you can hardly hear Diaz singing from the center speaker and you can mostly hear the music only.
(i'm watching in DTS-HD MA 5.1 but it's the same in the other english track too)
But it's not like this in youtube videos I found of the scene in question.
Did anyone else notice this?

edit: I don't know. I finished the film, and now I played again the scene, and it seems somewhat fine... I'm confused.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks