What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon - Olive Signature -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm just baffled by the way I feel about the new release and I have to say I lean towards the first Blu-ray release. For me, and call me crazy, I find the contrast better and it's certainly sharper - there is no question about that. And still I ask, exactly what element was used for these transfers?

The first version is slightly sharpened, with odd, occasionally hanging grain, and digital manipulation. More contrast creates the illusion of sharpness.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I watched mine Sunday night. What a perfectly scripted and edited film.

I do think it is a great transfer -- the detail and contrast is top notch. It does have visible grain, which I think we will see more of on these 4K transfers without as much digital manipulation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched mine Sunday night. What a perfectly scripted and edited film.

I do think it is a great transfer -- the detail and contrast is top notch. It does have visible grain, which I think we will see more of on these 4K transfers without as much digital manipulation.
I agree, I'm very happy with this Blu-ray.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm happy with the old release. It's a good film, but the old release was acceptable. If it was The Searchers or How The West Was Won, I might feel differently.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I hated the old release ... especially its emphasis on grey-scales and generally tired appearance. I can't wait for my copy to arrive! It will be hard to justify it to my wife though .....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another example in which the prior BD release was heavily criticized PQ-wise, yet we still have some people that think it's superior to a more recent BD release that a growing majority think looks much better than that prior release. Without a doubt, people can view the same piece of artwork and still not agree about the beauty of it because of various factors.

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If this is directed at me, which it seems to be, let me begin by first saying, "I ain't people." :) I said very clearly I was baffled by certain aspects of the new transfer, aspects, BTW, that no one has really addressed. I accept the previous transfer may have had a little sharpening or this or that, and I'm not saying the new transfer is bad, I'm saying that certain parts of it are, for me, surprisingly soft when they should not be. Nor has anyone said what element was used - that would help explain many things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If this is directed at me, which it seems to be, let me begin by first saying, "I ain't people." :) I said very clearly I was baffled by certain aspects of the new transfer, aspects, BTW, that no one has really addressed. I accept the previous transfer may have had a little sharpening or this or that, and I'm not saying the new transfer is bad, I'm saying that certain parts of it are, for me, surprisingly soft when they should not be. Nor has anyone said what element was used - that would help explain many things.
I'm sorry, but you're not the only person expressing their opinion, so no, it's not specifically directed at you. Furthermore, it's just a general observation and my comments shouldn't be taken as some kind of criticism of any person.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I, for one, avoided the first BD. Therefore, I have nothing to compare it to.
With that said, I watched Olive's Signature edition of "High Noon" and was oh-so very, very pleased.:thumbs-up-smiley:
The score was perfect for this film and I am now interpreting the music to sounding deliberately like the beating of a heart.
To be specific, it was equal to hearing the blood pumping through a valve when listening through a stethoscope.
Call it Kane's internal rhythm - or is that arrhythmia - in juxtaposition (or unison) to the ticking of the clock.
I wonder if anyone else agrees about this aspect of the score?
Anyway, Olive has received my fullest of attention and has me sitting up straight with eager anticipations for their new future.
Thank You, Olive.:)

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nor has anyone said what element was used - that would help explain many things.

Good point: what element was used ?

As I said in a previous post, Olive is very responsive to customer feedback on their Facebook page. It appears no one here has an answer to this question. Why not reach out to Olive directly and ask? They're in a much better position to answer that question than anyone here.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If this is directed at me, which it seems to be, let me begin by first saying, "I ain't people." :) ....
633716523865226260-soylentgreen.jpg
Soylent Green is PEOPLE ...! ;)

people%20who%20need%20people.JPG
:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Damn. I wish Charlton Heston were still alive.
Wouldn't it had been great if Babs and Hest had sung a Theme-Song duet for "Soylent Green"?

New Lyrics:
"People,
People who eat people
Are the luckiest people in the world.":thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Wonderful film but I notice there are still compression artefacts as per Olives non signature titles . It's obvious when you press pause. Contrast this with Warner archives Love Me or Leave Me where the encoding of the film grain is in another league

Attachments

• IMG_1128.PNG
    IMG_1128.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 59

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Introduced my friend to High Noon tonight via this Blu-Ray. He loved it, and it's the best I've ever seen the film look.

Very pleasing presentation of one of the true classics of cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks