What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hell and High Water -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In 1954, Sam Fuller was given CinemaScope by Fox, and my standards, wastes the technology on a film that's probably far less believable today than it was back in the early days of wide screen cinema.

I've always felt that Richard Widmark, who is a superb actor, looked as if he's wandered onto the wrong set, and was wondering what he was doing there.

That noted, Twilight Time's new Blu-ray of the very early CinemaScope release -- The Robe opened in September of 1953. Beneath the 12-Mile Reef in early December, and HaHW, only two months hence.

Because of its place in the early release pattern of scope, this is a film that may be of interest to fans of cinema, above and beyond the storyline, or even the odd casting of Bella Darvi, who from all appearances had an interesting look, but lacked acting talent, even though she was kept around for a bit by studio head Zanuck.

Also, as an early scope production, the elements seem to be in decent condition, as far as fade is concerned, allowing Twilight Time's release to be a high quality affair, both from an image, as well as an audio perspective. Tracks are DTS-HD MA 5.1, with full stereo spread.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm looking forward to picking this one up. Bella Darvi might not have been the best actress but she tortured Edward Purdom really well in the Egyptian. It was very convincing on her part.

PGB

Agent
Real Name
Geoffrey Blowers
In 1954, Sam Fuller was given CinemaScope by Fox, and my standards, wastes the technology on a film that's probably far less believable today than it was back in the early days of wide screen cinema.

I've always felt that Richard Widmark, who is a superb actor, looked as if he's wandered onto the wrong set, and was wondering what he was doing there.

That noted, Twilight Time's new Blu-ray of the very early CinemaScope release -- The Robe opened in September of 1953. Beneath the 12-Mile Reef in early December, and HaHW, only two months hence.

Because of its place in the early release pattern of scope, this is a film that may be of interest to fans of cinema, above and beyond the storyline, or even the odd casting of Bella Darvi, who from all appearances had an interesting look, but lacked acting talent, even though she was kept around for a bit by studio head Zanuck.

Also, as an early scope production, the elements seem to be in decent condition, as far as fade is concerned, allowing Twilight Time's release to be a high quality affair, both from an image, as well as an audio perspective. Tracks are DTS-HD MA 5.1, with full stereo spread.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH
Thank you Mr Harris for this informed update on TTs early CinemaScope releases. Off topic but because I've wanted for some time to sound you out, what's happened to the planned (few years back) restoration of "Raintree County"??

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
A bit more picture info compared to the DVD.

DVD
hell%20and%20high%20water%20PDVD_005.jpg

Blu-ray
960__hell_and_high_water_03_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It's not a good film, but it's entertaining and I thought the Twilight Time's BD Release looked excellent on my OLED.
If it is entertaining Robert, does not that make a good film?
Cetainly not a great one but at least it gets something right.
More than you can say for a lot of films these days.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it is entertaining Robert, does not that make a good film?
Cetainly not a great one but at least it gets something right.
More than you can say for a lot of films these days.:)
Not really, there are many films I find entertaining, but I don't consider them good films. More like mediocre.

As to films today, I think filmmaking of today gets a bad rap as they made as many bad films back in the day as they do today. Perhaps, they made even more bad films due to the quantity of films was much more back then.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, I watched the film tonight. I suppose "hokum" is a good way of describing the narrative, but I enjoyed it. I also think that Bella Darvi did not deserve all the scorn that was poured over her. I thought she did quite well, seeing that at least half of what the screenplay gave her was pure cliché.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks